S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Cursed ? Car broken into again!

Old 10-16-2000, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I found you all!

Anyway, my car (3913) was broken into again in our locked garage! (Happended in March last time)It happened on friday the 13th, early morning. Yeah, pretty ironic that I should be a victim of bad luck on Friday the 13th, but look again at my chassi number - 3913. Ends with a 13, and 39 is 13 X 3. I am not superstitious, but now I wonder...

Anyway they have broken the door lock, entered the vehicle and savagely attacked the ignition and steering lock. All that is left are little scraps of metal on the floor! Also, 2 big scratches on the glovebox door. Stolen are my Ray-Ban sunglasses with perscription lenses, a maglite, and a box of mints, of all things! They have also entered the trunk and stolen items from there. In addition, the hood was open, so they have obviously had a look in there as well.

Police came and looked, and said it was the work of amateurs. They took away part of the broken plastic to do some fingerprinting work.

Anyway, car is gone for 3 weeks now, and I am stuck driving and Audi A3 1.6 rental car with sponge suspension (FunFactor=0).

I miss my S2K

Jonas
Old 10-16-2000, 09:52 PM

Sorry about your misfortune! Hope you get your car back with nary a reminder of what happened.
Old 10-17-2000, 03:39 AM

I thought everyone was supposed to be nice in Sweden. Sorry to hear of your problem.
Old 10-17-2000, 04:34 AM

Time to get some sentry gun put in your garage! But seriously, that's really a bummer...I'd look into some kind of increased security for your garage though.

Jay
Old 10-17-2000, 05:14 AM

I joked with the dealer that I should get some $$ compensation for being issued a car with such an unlucky chassi number - 3913 come on!

But on more serious note, increased security is on the cards methinks...

Jonas
Old 10-17-2000, 05:39 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like your insurance company should buy you an alarm. It would save themselves a lot of money. Seriously, even the factory alarm would have gone off when the door was opened. Would have saved all that interior damage.

It sure does sound like amateurs, pros would have known they couldn't start it without a key.
Old 10-17-2000, 08:09 AM

I have some black kittens I am trying to get rid of. Want one?
Is the garage attached to your home?
Old 10-20-2000, 09:55 AM

After my Miata was opened like a sardine can, (a knife through the roof) a friend of mine (another Miata owner) told me that the best thing is to never lock up your convertible. Don't lock the glove box or the doors, because if they want to get in, they will. That's right, it means that you shouldn't put anything of value in the car (which is better advice anyway). This advice won't keep them from trying to jimmie the ignition, but at least you won't have scratches on your doors or a busted glove box.

I've been heeding that advice ever since and I sleep better during the night.
Old 10-20-2000, 10:05 AM

Parking in the lots where I work, I feel comfortable leaving the top down and everything unlocked. I do cover the car to keep the dust off, though, unless it's less than an hour at any one place.
Old 10-20-2000, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SomethingWicked:
[B]After my Miata was opened like a sardine can, (a knife through the roof) a friend of mine (another Miata owner) told me that the best thing is to never lock up your convertible.

Quick Reply: Cursed ? Car broken into again!