S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

how fast can i do a 90 degree turn without losing control?

Old 04-23-2011, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how fast can i do a 90 degree turn without losing control?

okay so i want to know how fast can i make a 90 degree turn without losing control and
wiping out?....on a dry 60 degree weather.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:09 AM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by xtrordinary
okay so i want to know how fast can i make a 90 degree turn without losing control and
FYI, put on your flamesuit.

Also, how old are you?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy better tires.

Seriously.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:16 AM

Subscribed for the hilarity!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:16 AM

There is no set maximum speed for any car or corner. The way that you've phrased this question is a bit frightening actually, because it implies that you'll be pushing your car to the limits on public street and probably do not have knowledge of driving techniques or theory. If you live in an area that has any motorsports events (ex. Autocross, lapping day, etc) please go participate in those. There you will have a safe environment to push your car in and you will learn the answer to the question that you've posted here. If there aren't any motorsports events in you area, well, first off be careful, and work you way up in speed until you can feel the car moving around under you. You'll know your near the limit when you can start to feel understeer or oversteer. Maybe a big empty parking lot at 3am? That's where I learned to play with a car because I'm in hicksville and there are not motorsports around here at all. Even playing Gran Turismo and earning all the licenses will teach you a good bit about the principles of racing lines and smooth driving. A quick google search brought up this page, which seems to cover some ground regarding driving technique: http://www.drivingfast.net/
Old 04-23-2011, 09:31 AM

If I remember right it says 68.6 mph in the owners manual.

...please realize this is a joke. Don't want you getting killed.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xtrordinary
This shows lack of fundamental understanding of driving.

That you didn't think to include or address the following (besides temperature):
1. Car (assuming an S2000 here, but you never know).
2. Road surface (asphalt, concrete, gravel, painted lines).
3. Road characteristics (crowned, bumpy, on-camber, off-camber, combination of such).
4. Road width (one lane ~10 ft wide, 30 feet wide).
5. Tire compound (R-compounds, all-seasons, performance summer).

For example:
Performance summer tire'd S2000 on flat, smooth asphalt without gravel or debris in a single lane turning right 90 degrees onto a narrow single lane road... probably 20-25mph.

Performance summer tire'd S2000 on flat, smooth asphalt without gravel or debris in a double lane turning right 90 degrees onto a wider double lane road with shoulder... probably 35-45mph.

Performance summer tire'd S2000 on smooth asphalt without gravel or debris on a banked on-camber highway ramp turning right 90 degrees onto double lane highway with shoulder... probably 45-55mph.

The problem comes when novice drivers don't appreciate how all the variables come into play and they think "I normally can take a 90 degree corner at 45 mph, so that's how fast I'll go."

Then they come across a left handed (often off-camber because of road crowning) turn with gravel off-line and think "45mph" when it's actually a 35mph turn. The rear starts to swing wide on an off-camber turn because they went in too hot. The rear swings even wider because of gravel and crap off-line. Then they lift because the car is rotating too far, compromising traction even further and BANG. Into the curb. Can't tell you how many of those we've seen posted here.

Usually they blame it on "gravel" or "black ice." But it's 100% driver error.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:47 AM

several other factors include the radius of the turn (e.g., broad, sweeping 90 degree turn is easy), and how much the turn is banked. Think Indy 500 - that's a lot of 90 degree turns.
If you're thinking about a hard right angle turn with no turn radius, you probably want something to bounce off of.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is also where video games fail real life drivers. In most games, the traction is predictable across the track. In real life, not so much. On a real track, the "rain line" is different because the track surface gets "polished" by drivers and that's really slippery in the wet. Great in the dry, but slippery in the wet. A good driver will "feel out" the limits of adhesion and drive where there's most grip. There's a large contribution of road and tire, but most "regular" drivers think it's all car.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

obviously take some time on an autox. thats how i learned and i went on a lot of group drives. also, take some physics as well. 90 degrees is kinda vague. a entry speed is based on the degree of the corner and the radius of the corner.

Quick Reply: how fast can i do a 90 degree turn without losing control?