S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Daily or Occasional Driver vs. Track Car

Old 05-14-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Who said anything about using "non-spec parts"? Did you mean after-market or generic parts? After-market or generic parts aren't necessarily bad. As a matter of fact, I've found many after-market parts that are of better quality/design than the OEM part it is meant to replace.

I have reviewed my Owner's Manual (2006 S2000) and I can't find any references to a specific oil filter? I did see that "It is highly recommended that you use Honda motor oil in your vehicle for as long as you own it." Does that imply that any other motor oil should not be used? Of course not.

The point of my post is to say that there are many differing opinions posted on this forum. Many are preferences of the author and not necessarily based on what is required to maintain the car. Of these, I believe many are based on using the car in extreme situations (i.e. tracking) and the use of specific parts/fluids give the owner peace of mind based on experience or advice.

Sorry if I offended anyone on this forum.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:03 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by jts09
Who said anything about using "non-spec parts"? Did you mean after-market or generic parts? After-market or generic parts aren't necessarily bad. As a matter of fact, I've found many after-market parts that are of better quality/design than the OEM part it is meant to replace.

I have reviewed my Owner's Manual (2006 S2000) and I can't find any references to a specific oil filter? I did see that "It is highly recommended that you use Honda motor oil in your vehicle for as long as you own it." Does that imply that any other motor oil should not be used? Of course not.

The point of my post is to say that there are many differing opinions posted on this forum. Many are preferences of the author and not necessarily based on what is required to maintain the car. Of these, I believe many are based on using the car in extreme situations (i.e. tracking) and the use of specific parts/fluids give the owner peace of mind based on experience or advice.

Sorry if I offended anyone on this forum.

Idk that you offended anyone.

And...no...most aftermarket replacement parts are junk compared to the stock part. Or inferior in some way. With very very few exceptions.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:49 AM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

This.

OEM parts for any modern car are usually very high quality. They often however aren't the best performance parts. There are usually compromises to other more important factors, like ride quality, sound, mpg, etc. The most important factor for our cars was clearly performance, hence our oem parts are not a quality so high its difficult for aftermarket to equal, let alone exceed, but also high performing that aftermarket also has difficulty exceeding.

Thete are of course, some exceptions. But generally you can't go wrong with oem parts with this car.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:52 AM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Why would anyone use a non-spec part on a car? Any car? Especially if the right part is figuratively sitting on the shelf next to it.
-- Chuck
Yep. Remember the construction of the OEM is not the same as most auto filters: the rubber gasket is sandwiched between 2 metal rings that make contact with the mating surface. That is why it cannot (should not be) be hand tightened. It must be torqued.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

The Honda S2000 oil filter is almost an article of faith here. As noted there is a specific oil filter for the S2000 engine. Anything else is "non spec." Simple as that. There was a "non-spec" oil filter on my engine when I bought the car as the last owner had the oil changed at Sears. Engine remain running well.

Many if not most cars only have a "type" oil filter specification making that Jiffy Lube filter (possibly) a "spec part." I've not looked a the filter charts at AutoZone and am curious if there's one listed for our cars. There are no part numbers for anything I noted in the owner's manual other than the spark plugs. Why the filter isn't specified is anyone's guess. Probably because Honda expects you to have the car dealer serviced?

-- Chuck
Old 05-15-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

The Honda S2000 oil filter is almost an article of faith here. As noted there is a specific oil filter for the S2000 engine. Anything else is "non spec." Simple as that. There was a "non-spec" oil filter on my engine when I bought the car as the last owner had the oil changed at Sears. Engine remains running well.

Many if not most cars only have a "type" oil filter specification making that Jiffy Lube filter (possibly) a "spec part." I've not looked a the filter charts at AutoZone and am curious if there's one listed for our cars. There are no part numbers for anything I noted in the owner's manual other than the spark plugs. Why the filter isn't specified is anyone's guess. Probably because Honda expects you to have the car dealer serviced?

-- Chuck
Old 05-15-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I've not looked a the filter charts at AutoZone and am curious if there's one listed for our cars. There are no part numbers for anything I noted in the owner's manual other than the spark plugs. Why the filter isn't specified is anyone's guess.
-- Chuck
A few years back I checked with AutoZone and a large Riebes Auto Parts (Napa) in my area. They did have a filter that "fit" the bill but when I asked to check it out, I saw it only had the standard gasket run of the mill filters have. Size was fine but not the critical construction elements. Make sense though. Mass production of secondary market oil filters. The market for special filter design and construction like what our cars use is so small in the secondary auto parts industry.

Very scientific survey, no?
Old 05-15-2017, 02:14 PM

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts

I never knew until reading in this post that the S2000 called for a special oil filter that has to be torqued. I read a post once not too long ago that said to torque the oil filter and I chocked it up to sarcasm, given how that conversation had gone.

The Fram oil filter part number is 6607. I usually use a 7317 because it's basically the same filter, but bigger. I've used the mobil 1 and K&N filter too, but have usually used Fram. I've had 2 s2000's over a combined 6 years and roughly 75k miles or so and haven't had any issues. 1st one was about 67k miles in 5 years as my DD and the rest has been in the 2nd as a weekend car/toy. I haven't tracked or autocrossed either one, but I'm usually quite a bit faster than most traffic and don't hesitate to go hammer down when the mood strikes. Before I moved, I lived near a road that you could just go balls to the wall down and not have to worry about traffic or tickets. Only things to hit were trees or maybe a pack of wild hogs.

based on my experiences it probably isn't catastrophic or a cause for concern to use a "non-spec" filter, but if the OEM spec filter is readily available you might as well get it. It's better to be safe than sorry. I may or may not try to find one next oil change.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by vortamock
I never knew until reading in this post that the S2000 called for a special oil filter that has to be torqued. I read a post once not too long ago that said to torque the oil filter and I chocked it up to sarcasm, given how that conversation had gone.

The Fram oil filter part number is 6607. I usually use a 7317 because it's basically the same filter, but bigger. I've used the mobil 1 and K&N filter too, but have usually used Fram. I've had 2 s2000's over a combined 6 years and roughly 75k miles or so and haven't had any issues. 1st one was about 67k miles in 5 years as my DD and the rest has been in the 2nd as a weekend car/toy. I haven't tracked or autocrossed either one, but I'm usually quite a bit faster than most traffic and don't hesitate to go hammer down when the mood strikes. Before I moved, I lived near a road that you could just go balls to the wall down and not have to worry about traffic or tickets. Only things to hit were trees or maybe a pack of wild hogs.

based on my experiences it probably isn't catastrophic or a cause for concern to use a "non-spec" filter, but if the OEM spec filter is readily available you might as well get it. It's better to be safe than sorry. I may or may not try to find one next oil change.
I'm not trying to sound preachy....

I've seen oil fires that started due to loose filters. People said the same thing, "I haven't torqued my filter for years".

There's plenty of stuff one could leave to chance and never have a problem for a long time. For example, I feel like I could probably snug my drain plug with pliers or bare down on it with a wrench for years and never have problems...until one day when I have a huge problem, one way or the other. All of that could be avoided by just torquing it as designed.

Aftermarket filters don't need to be torqued...nor should they be torqued because over tightening them could cause a leak. The S2000 PCX filter is specifically designed to be torqued, specifically to prevent loosening. The filter sits directly upstream of the header. Honda probably had good reason to use that design.

I'm not saying a non-OEM filter is bad or that it won't work. But there is a well designed OEM filter that exists for like $15.

**to end any debate...no, you cannot torque it without a tool. I use a filter strap wrench and use the 7/8 turn method. Honda also has a tool designed for the job that allows you to use a torque wrench.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts

You don't sound preachy at all. Sounds like you and I are on the same page.

Fram is an aftermarket filter that shouldn't be torqued and so I don't. I had never heard of torquing down an oil filter (not to be confused with those drop-in element filter lids) until this special Honda filter conversation. Seems like it's cheap enough to be worth using just to be on the safe side. I'll probably try it, but whether that's on the next oil change or not is yet to be determined.

You just put some more good info out there to add to the conversation is all.

Quick Reply: Daily or Occasional Driver vs. Track Car