S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Dealership Sold Me A Lemon!

Old 01-03-2005, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I didn't say everyone on this site is an ass clown. I simply said getting legal advice from here is lame. Read Barry's post, he get's it.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weezie,Jan 3 2005, 08:21 PM
No, I didn't say everyone on this site is an ass clown. I simply said getting legal advice from here is lame. Read Barry's post, he get's it.
That's why I asked
Old 01-03-2005, 07:44 PM

Dump the car, you can get it cheaper if you just look

-Alan
Old 01-03-2005, 07:52 PM

During the summer, I took a Business Law class. The instructor was a lawyer sho specialized in dealing with cases regarding the Lemon Law. She had mentioned a couple of stories in which dealers 'mistakedly' screwed customers and possible resolutions.

In some cases, customers got brand new cars.

If you would like her e-mail address, PM me. I'm sure she could be of assistance.

My gf is a lawyer also. She's not as experienced in cases such as yours but I'll run it by her if you would like.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:12 PM

Received 4,946 Likes on 3,000 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry in Wyoming,Jan 3 2005, 11:44 PM
Why trust an attorney who has gone to law school, passed a bar exam, and established a professional practice and reputation? The attorney would just take my money!
I can think of a lot of reasons, but then I'm older than you. And, a lot less trusting. No doubt, in the end, GREED is the best approach to solve this.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:10 AM

Before you spend money for a lawyer get Honda USA involved. You bought a certified car. The car does not meet certified specifications. I think the dealer will be pressured by Honda to satisfy you.

It is very simple. You did nothing wrong, and now you have a car with very poor resale.

Tell them to either come up with another car that has not been through the sausage grinder for the same price or give you your money back.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:52 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice everyone has given me. Here's what happened yesterday. I went to the dealership after work and spoke to the Manager in the used car department. I sat down and had the 150pt inspection test that I printed from the Honda website, the information regarding a lemon and Honda not being able to certify a car that was turned back in as a lemon, and the carfax report.

The manager was new and had only been there 5 weeks but he seemed quite upset about what had happened to me. Right off the bat he told me he has a 2003 Silverstone S2000 with 22,000 miles coming in this week that he would let me trade in for, but I would have to give them $2,000 more. I told him there is ABSOLUTELY no way I was going to give them another penny.

He went to talk to the GM of the dealership and came back like 30 minutes later. He then asked, "Josh what do you want to do?" I told him my 2 main concerns are that the resale value on this car is shot to hell basically. If I turned around right now and sold this car I would get 1/2 of what I paid for it probably. The other concern is that if something does go wrong with the car I don't want Honda BS'ing me and saying it's because of user abuse when the problem may have been with the car before I even purchased it. (because of the problems it had when it was turned into a lemon) To answer someone's question, I was the first owner after it was turned in as a lemon.

I told him I really want to stick with the color combo I have and a 02-03 model if possible. He told me it would be kinda hard to find the exact color combo I want, so I told him he needs to try to find one because I didn't buy a lemon. I bought a Honda Certified S2000 and their dealership needs to do whatever it has to do to give me the car I want.

He also told me that he would talk to the owner and if I wanted to keep the car I have that they would write up a contract about the warranty saying that the car was previously a lemon, and basically anything I bring it in for to get fixed I will not get hassled about. This part is funny, he told me that Honda Care has never denied a claim. I laughed out loud and told him there are tons of people I know who have had legitimate work denied because they wrote it off as "driver abuse."

These are the 3 options I told him I would consider, he said he would have a meeting with the GM and owner of the dealership tomorrow and get back with me.

1. Give me a FULL refund of every penny I paid and I will find a new car somewhere else.
2. Find the color combo and year I want and let me trade in the car, fair and square.
3. If I keep the car, they will have to take a big chunk off the price of the car. (since the deal isn't final). I also gave him the option of giving me money/oem parts since I am looking for a hardtop and oem front lip right now.

He told me to expect a call on Wednesday. One thing that pissed me off was that the guy told me to just leave my car at the dealership so that nothing happens to it and they will give me a rental. Wow, these guys are really nice huh? I told him HELL NO because if I did they would have their tech check it, get the greensheet as he called it, and close the deal on the car. So I refused to leave my car with them and will await a response back.

I will also be calling Honda USA today. I refuse to back down at all from this dealership. I know my age (i'm 20) played a role in how they treated me initially. But yesterday I came in prepared with paper work to back me up and they know I'm serious.

He asked me how much money I would want taken off the price if I went that route, but I told him I would have to think about it and tell them on Wednesday so that's my next question. How much do you think I should tell them? I was going to tell them I will purchase the car for $12,000. I am really thinking about going this route if they do agree to the amount and I get a contract about the warrant. The car drives great and I'm not too worried about the resale value because I plan on keeping the car for 8-10 years at least.

So.. what do you guys think? Let me know and once again thanks for everyones help!!

Josh
Old 01-04-2005, 04:56 AM

Here is the carfax report if anyone wants to check it out:

ALERT! Severe problems (major accidents, fire, flood damage, major odometer problems or lemon history) were reported by a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for this 2001 HONDA S2000 (JHMAP************). This vehicle does NOT qualify for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee.

CARFAX Talking CarTM
The story of this 2001 HONDA S2000 (JHMAP***********) according to our interpretation of the information reported to CARFAX:
This convertible has had 4 owners and was owned in Louisiana and Texas. The first title for this convertible was reported to CARFAX by a Louisiana DMV in 2001.
It has had no minor or moderate accidents reported to CARFAX.
It has had no DMV-reported total loss events, like a major accident, fire or flood.
It has a consistent mileage history with no indication of an odometer rollback. It was driven an average of 11,717 miles per year, which is lower than the industry average of 15,000. The last odometer reading, reported on 08/25/2004, was 39,933 miles.
It was repurchased by the manufacturer after repeated repairs. The title was marked by a Texas DMV as a Manufacturer Buyback (LEMON).
Its basic warranty has expired. You may want to discuss an extended warranty with your dealer.
Go to the Detailed Vehicle History for the complete history and a glossary of terms.

Report Summary
1. ACCIDENT CHECK

Total Loss Check No Severe Accidents Reported to DMV
Other Accident Indicators No Accident Indicators Reported
2. MILEAGE ACCURACY CHECK

Truth-In-Mileage Check No Odometer Problems Reported to DMV
Odometer Rollback Check No Potential Odometer Rollback Found
Mileage Consistency Check No Inconsistent Odometer Reading Found
3. LEMON CHECK
Old 01-04-2005, 05:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

they are offering you a MY03 for $22000.

that's a hell of a deal. You demanding it for 20K is a bit unreasonable.

They know what they did, and IMO they offered you a really good alternative! take it.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by steven975,Jan 4 2005, 06:31 AM
they are offering you a MY03 for $22000.

that's a hell of a deal. You demanding it for 20K is a bit unreasonable.

They know what they did, and IMO they offered you a really good alternative! take it.
I would take it but I really only want GPW. I have already bought a 04 bumper and painted it white, bought the red jdm badges, the red leather console cover from ricks, etc. So I don't want to just lose that money. I just found a 02 GPW with red/black interior, air walker side skirts, front lip and hardtop with 40K miles on it at another dealership. The dealership is asking 22,750 so I'm going to tell Rusty Wallis Honda to see if they can get that one for me.

Quick Reply: Dealership Sold Me A Lemon!