S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Difficulty level of wrenching

Old 03-30-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I think it is an easy car to work on. That said I am more careful or nervous about doing certain jobs on it compared to my old Miata. Parts on the Honda aren’t crazy expensive but it’s not dirt cheap either.

Make sure you go over many times how to do the project. Also make CERTAIN you buy the correct parts and tools for the job. Nothing worse than missing out on your weekend because you started a project and realized halfway through that you don’t have the right sized tool. Even with having another car as a daily driver it stinks spending time driving from store to store hoping they have the part you need.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

very easy to work on. also the amount of help that is available on this forum is amazing. there is a hardly a question that hasn't been asked, or a DIY that isn't already posted.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:44 PM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
Also, dont lean on the fenders... they will bend or even crease if you are not careful. So you end up bent over without the fender to lean on sometimes. But its not that bad really.
Get a strut bar, lean on that bad boy. It's good for something.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:37 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Although I do think it is generally pretty easy to work on - (see above)- like all low sports cars you have to lift it to do almost anything under the car.
Lifting it safely is a bit more tricky than lifting a higher car. Not a big deal mind you - you just need to be careful. A low profile jack is useful. Good high quality jack stands are important. Take care to identify the jack points correctly, and use them.

Last edited by rpg51; 03-31-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:41 AM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

Get yourself one of these shop manuals! It's quite comprehensive. Worth it's weight in gold.
Even if only saves your ass that ONE time.
You can thank me later.

edit: even if you don't work on your own car I'd recommend this. It let's you know when people are telling you a bunch of bs when you take it in.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:32 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

This car was built to be wrenched. Subtle things so many cars don't have these days, like center jack points front and rear.

The car can be challenging to jack due to its low ride height, worse if lower than stock. But no more than other low cars.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:25 AM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

As to jacking the car, I've had one of these since May of 2014 and wholeheartedly recommend it. It's the best $1,200 I've ever spent on garage stuff. QuickJack. You can get it in 3,500, 5,000 and 7,000 lbs configurations and in AC or DC format. I have the DC format in 5,000 lbs configuration to allow me to take it to the track.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:32 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
...center jack points front and rear.
Yes, the center jack points are very useful. Just be 100% sure to visualize the fact that you have the business end of your jack positioned correctly on those center jack points. Failure to get it right can cause problems. Like holes in the bottom of radiators for example. Don't ask me how I know.

A low profile long reach jack is helpful, and some home made low ramps (see hecash pic above) are are very useful.

Last edited by rpg51; 03-31-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:21 PM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
Just be 100% sure to visualize the fact that you have the business end of your jack positioned correctly on those center jack points. Failure to get it right can cause problems. Like holes in the bottom of radiators for example. Don't ask me how I know.
Indeed. You can also put holes in your body as well. Jack placement and use has been well discussed here. Be careful you have the correct jack point on the front (sides behind front wheel) as misplacement can damage the body. As with any car on jack stands, be sure it is level, try to shake the car to make sure it does not collapse, tell someone you are under the thing, and be extremely careful if you are putting your weight behind some stiff bolt. I usually have a jack stand backup from the jack that raised it and/or an old tire to give me a little insurance.

I use 2X6s with beveled ends to get the front tires up enough to slide my Costco jack under the front middle. Stock car.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:18 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

So I am in my late 60's. I have had mine since 10/03. Mine is a 04 ap2 which my son will get someday soon when i tire of it.
I have done 95% of the work that has been needed....brakes replacment, bleeding, plugs, all but one valve adjustment, all but two oil changes, and many other little things as needed. this has not only been the best car I have ever owned (27 cars total) but is it the easiest to work on. When i change the oil, i hand spin the filter off, no wrench needed, the pan nut comes right off as well...cause the guy who put them on last time has been doing this for over 50 years on all sorts of cars! Get one for the fun of it and enjoy the fact that you can work on it and this forum along with youtube can be of assistance. Billman has been wonderful with his advice as example.

Quick Reply: Difficulty level of wrenching