S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Difficulty level of wrenching

Old 04-02-2018, 01:21 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by hirev
When i change the oil, i hand spin the filter off, no wrench needed, ...
So you just hand tighten the new filter nice and snug and call it good? No problems? I have been tempted to do that but afraid to try.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So I am in my late 60's. I have had mine since 10/03. Mine is a 04 ap2 which my son will get someday soon when i tire of it.
I have done 95% of the work that has been needed....brakes replacment, bleeding, plugs, all but one valve adjustment, all but two oil changes, and many other little things as needed. this has not only been the best car I have ever owned (27 cars total) but is it the easiest to work on. When i change the oil, i hand spin the filter off, no wrench needed, the pan nut comes right off as well...cause the guy who put them on last time has been doing this for over 50 years on all sorts of cars! Get one for the fun of it and enjoy the fact that you can work on it and this forum along with youtube can be of assistance. Billman has been wonderful with his advice as example.
Hope you don’t mind me saying this - but that’s so cool. I hope to be wrenching on cars when I hit my 60s. If all goes well I’ll still have the S2000 then too (I have around 30 years to go..)
Old 04-02-2018, 07:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is my first car that I have seriously wrenched on. Have enjoyed every second of it. Adjusted my valves last weekend, it was straight forward and really fun! Cool to see the upper internals of an engine. If I can do it anyone can
Old 04-03-2018, 06:30 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

Its great that you're still doing all your maintenance. A word of caution though. The oem S2000 oil filter is different than the filters on most any other car. It requires special tightening process. Filters have been known to come loose if this process isn't followed, resulting in engine destruction.

The process is written right on the side of the filter. Tighten a full 7/8s of a turn after initial gasket contact. Unless you have hands of steel and arms of a linebacker, you'll need a filter socket and socket wrench to get it that right.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default hand tighten it properly and check it....

thank you for your kind words...yes i have hand tightened the filter for over 20 odd oil changes in just this car, yes there are instructions on the filter and you should follow them. I also do this with my 99 jag, and every other car I have owned out of warranty....again hand tighten...NEVER had even the hint of a leak and I always run the car for several minutes after the change to make sure. I also might add that after 15 odd years my car has over 80k on it, never leaked oil anyplace, never used enough oil between changes to need to add it either.
i fill the car with about 5 quarts, start it and then add to the level required....and check it every gas stop cause it's easy to do and gives me piece of mind. And yes Vtec is your friend, use it every time i drive the car. runs like a swiss watch as they say....
Old 04-03-2018, 12:38 PM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

thank you for your kind words...yes i have hand tightened the filter for over 20 odd oil changes in just this car, yes there are instructions on the filter and you should follow them. I also do this with my 99 jag, and every other car I have owned out of warranty....again hand tighten...NEVER had even the hint of a leak and I always run the car for several minutes after the change to make sure. I also might add that after 15 odd years my car has over 80k on it, never leaked oil anyplace, never used enough oil between changes to need to add it either.
i fill the car with about 5 quarts, start it and then add to the level required....and check it every gas stop cause it's easy to do and gives me piece of mind. And yes Vtec is your friend, use it every time i drive the car. runs like a swiss watch as they say....

The issue is if it goes wrong, you watch your car burn to the ground when the oil spraying all over the manifold burns. The issue is the vibration when running at high rpm for long periods can vibrate it loose. 99% of the time this does not happen, but when it does, it is catastrophic (toasted motor best case, fire at worst). the half second you save by doing it the wrong way is hardly worth it.

The OEM filter has tightening instructions for a reason. Follow them. This filter is not tightened like most every other car. That is why there is a mechanical stop to keep from compressing the seal, because they meant for it to be torqued more.

I save a lot of time not checking my filter at every gas stop since I torque it to the honda spec when I replace it.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:16 PM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

Your fleet of other cars, Jag included have ordinary filters with one gasket. The Honda OEM filter for the S has 2 metal rings with a gasket sandwiched between. You use a wrench because you are making metal to metal contact with the oil filter engine surface.

You may feel you have not had a problem with hand tightened oil filters but the “good luck” past does not ensure a trouble free future.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:29 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

About the filter, I just checked my new to me 2006- previous owner just had an oil change done. There was a little oil seepage from the seal- I then tried to tighten the filter thinking the mechanic didn't know the secret to PCX-004 tightening. Sure enough, looks like it was just hand tightened. The s2000 OEM filter is contact, then 7/8 of a turn more - which you can't do by hand.

dart
Old 04-03-2018, 07:02 PM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

Regarding the so far so good 80k miles argument for hand tightening...is a bit like saying you never bother to double check your parachute before jumping, and never had a problem. It only takes once, and you're dead. As they say, past performance is not an indicator of future results...
Old 04-04-2018, 02:51 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I just ran across this short thread re oil filters vibrating off etc. Worth a look - Billman has a couple of posts if you scroll down. I suspect a good hard hand tighten is going to be fine 99% of the time. But, on the other hand, its not hard to torque it correctly. I think I'm going to keep sticking a wrench on mine.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...filter-441371/

Last edited by rpg51; 04-04-2018 at 02:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Difficulty level of wrenching