S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Do You Know How To Drive Your Car?

Old 11-15-2001, 07:54 PM

Received 4,946 Likes on 3,000 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by w1ngman
[B] Okay...new owner here that has to play dumb to a term I've seen on these boards over and over again.
Old 11-15-2001, 09:30 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yawn. This thread and it's implications bore me. It's been brought up so many times. This car is a true sports car; it has been marketed that way from day one. If you don't know how to drive a real sports car you shouldn't own one, simple as that. If you want a car that reacts, or fails to react, like a Honda Accord please buy a Honda Accord. This car rewards, or punishes, the driver based upon the inputs the driver provides the car. It's not about the car. It's about the driver.
Old 11-15-2001, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Strike
[B]Yawn.
Old 11-15-2001, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by jschmidt
vtec-onset oversteer (which is still a theory)
take a look at a typical stock (don't know how much you've modded) dyno chart, VTEC engagement brings 10+ HPs to the wheels at the onset (WOT), and if you're in a turn at the time of engagement and you weren't ready? you'll be very surprised at the result
Old 11-15-2001, 10:29 PM

Ok.. before I start..
I don't have an s2K or a car that can compare to it's abilities.
But here is my opinion/idea:
The best thing you can do in order to learn your car's characteristics is to find a nice place to test it. Like an empty parking lot (preferably someplace away from traffic/homes/people so you don't bother anyone or atract attention).

In a nice big lot, accellerate, make soem turns, try the same thing at a faster speed and see how the car reacts. You should find out some of the limitations of the car by doing this.

And for stick shifts.. it takes about 20 minutes to learn, but a lifetime to perfect. Practice the shifting/downshifting while doing turns and try and make them as smooth as possible.
Old 11-16-2001, 12:01 AM

Chipster, I dub thee Mario Humility!
Old 11-16-2001, 03:59 AM

Originally posted by mingster

take a look at a typical stock (don't know how much you've modded) dyno chart, VTEC engagement brings 10+ HPs to the wheels at the onset (WOT), and if you're in a turn at the time of engagement and you weren't ready? you'll be very surprised at the result
That's my point. I'm wondering if this is involved in the frequend end-arounds we hear about. Actually, I'm guessing that 10 hp wouldn't make that much difference. Worth thinking about (and planning for) though.
Old 11-16-2001, 04:26 AM

No matter how good you are or how good your car is, if you drive at the limit
(on the street) long enough you will make a mistake and end up with a bent
sports car. However race tracks are devoid of curbs, light posts, jersey barriers,
pedestrians etc.

Simply put, TAKE IT TO THE TRACK.
Old 11-16-2001, 04:54 AM

I used to drive like a nut on the street but then kind of realized it was too risky, due to factors you cannot control, such as other people. (live in a crowded area with lots of old fogies)

I just take it to the track and try to keep the shiny side up on the street!
Old 11-16-2001, 05:34 AM

Originally posted by mingster

this happened to me when i was turning onto a backroad street about 25mph and floored it needless to say the backend snapped out, luckily i got control of the car before it ran into an embankment, cost me a tire and glad that was all

Quick Reply: Do You Know How To Drive Your Car?