S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Does anyone have scraping issues on stock suspension?

Old 01-19-2015, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
A couple extra 2x6s or 2x4s centered at the ends of the ramps may help. Basically extends the end of the ramp, so to speak, because you aren't dropping directly to the ground right away. Buys you an extra foot or two to clear the nose.

Or I'd look for a slight slope, as you mentioned. It wouldn't need much.
Sweet, alright well let's hope for a safe drive home and a safe trip off the trailer! Thank you for your help!
Old 01-20-2015, 12:25 AM

I'm in LA. Parking lot entrances and exits, the bumps at the end of parking spaces, and very steep driveways or gutters at the end of driveways can be issues sometimes. Learn the area before lowering the car or putting a lip on it and you should be good. Due to my area I decided not to lower my ap1 nor will I put a lip on it, but other than that and some minor scrapes on the bottom of my front bumper, it's been smooth sailing.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by DarkBeam
Originally Posted by Chuck S' timestamp='1421709783' post='23474095
Beware of curbs, especially parking lot curbs dividing spaces, until you get used to the very long nose on the car. My only scrapes.

-- Chuck
Any problems with speed bumps or anything? And what exactly do you mean by curbs? I has a lowered integra before this and was wondering if I had to treat the s2000 the same way always angling the car and stuff. I have not received my s2000 yet, but the person who was bring it to me had trouble putting it on his trailer bed because it was too low. The car is completely stock so I am kinda worried that the S is gonna be too low.

Normally doing around 20-22 mph when crossing a speedbump.
There are several that I need to brake significantly otherwise front bumper is scraping.
and I am stock!
Old 01-20-2015, 02:10 AM

Received 1,130 Likes on 993 Posts

My Expedition clears these easily too, the S2000 often won't! Speed bumps need to be taken slowly here on the North Coast. I strongly doubt I'm going to lower my car.

BTW, many floor jacks are too tall to fit under even the standard height car.

-- Chuck
Old 01-20-2015, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get alot of rain where I live so the entrances to many lots are steep or have a 'gutter' in them. I avoid those period! Steep driveways can be a real pain - I do have the lip and splitter so my front end is 'lower' than stock in the sense that it extends downward a few inches.

Other than that, the S has been great as a daily. I go around bad roads, railroad crossings and known 'hazardous' areas regardless of what car I'm in!
Old 01-20-2015, 04:18 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

My wife and I D/D our '06 S and have taken it all over the 11 western states. We found that we like a little taller tire on our S. We run 245/45-17 out back with 235/45-17 up front. With over 85k miles that we've put on our car out of town the taller Continental DW tires we run help in not tearing up our front bumper. We've been on runs(with other S owners) where some have ripped off their front CF splitter or did a job on their bumper and we did not scrape at all. It's funny but that extra 1/2" in ride height helps us not tear up our S.

ROD
Old 01-20-2015, 04:25 PM

I had an Integra lowered about 2 inches, and compared to that my stock s barely scrapes on anything that isn't obviously too steep.

Just crab walk into noticeably angled things and your fine.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:08 AM

i pull my stock height s2000 in an enclosed trailer regularly. i never have issues loading on flat ground. i have drop axles on the trailer, which helps. being in so cal for about a year with it, some transitions from streets to hill streets or driveways needed taken at an angle. i picked up on that quick. when i let my girl drive it, she did not pick it up quick.

another trick for unloading out of a ramped trailer is to drive the rear tires of the tow vehicle up onto auto ramps. that raises the front of the trailer and drops the rear, making the transition angles less.

i feel like i could lower the car 3/4" to 1" and be happy with it. after that, it'd be too much work, imo.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:51 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S' timestamp='1421709783' post='23474095
Beware of curbs, especially parking lot curbs dividing spaces, until you get used to the very long nose on the car. My only scrapes.

-- Chuck
Any problems with speed bumps or anything? And what exactly do you mean by curbs? I has a lowered integra before this and was wondering if I had to treat the s2000 the same way always angling the car and stuff. I have not received my s2000 yet, but the person who was bring it to me had trouble putting it on his trailer bed because it was too low. The car is completely stock so I am kinda worried that the S is gonna be too low.
At stock height, there's been only a couple of speed bumps that I've run into issues on and those are poorly designed speed bumps that were too tall and abrupt. Most speed bumps, if driven over reasonably, will not bottom you out at stock height.

I'm dropped ~1" now and I can still clear most speed bumps and always stop short of the parking chocks (curb). Most reasonable driveways and parking lot entrances I can angle in on with zero issue.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just out of curosity. I know the car is already low in stock form and wonder if anyone ever had any problems with it being "too low" for being a daily driver on stock suspension?
Not really. I do scrape from time to time but it's the Chase Race Hitch that's scraping. Every once in a while there's a steep driveway but most can be dealt with at the right angle.

Originally Posted by RMurphy
plus it really makes a difference where you live.
^ This. Houston is very flat but I've never had problems on road trips to both coast and up north.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have scraping issues on stock suspension?