S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Does your air conditioner cool at idle? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/does-your-air-conditioner-cool-idle-781/)

svann 10-28-2000 08:26 AM

My S2K blew an A/C expansion valve last week. After the repair the air is frosty at running speed but humid and warm near idle. Swithching to recirculate has always helped but I cannot remember a time when the A/C worked much better than this. Is this as good as it gets?
Of course putting the top down solves the problem but it has been raining lately.

Gregg Lee 10-28-2000 08:47 AM

mine worked great right through july august including at idle. quicl cool down, cold air from vents. I do always switch to recirc. I rarely ever set fan above 3, and often at 1 once cooled off.

svann 10-28-2000 08:53 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gregg Lee:
[B]mine worked great right through july august including at idle.

Molly W 10-28-2000 11:34 AM

Mine always has warmed a bit while idling. I really noticed it this summer. Let me know if there is a fix.

Zoinks 10-28-2000 12:51 PM

Svann,
I too live in the DFW area. I was out and about yesterday and used the AC for a bit. Mine is blowing icey-cold at idle, a real blessing with all this humidity.

If it still blows warm at idle after driving around with the AC on for a bit, I'd take it back to the shop.

If you can, take it to David McDavid Honda in Irving off of 183. The mechanic, Greg, is a god.

Molly W 10-28-2000 01:26 PM

Zoinks,

I'm glad you have had good luck at David McDavid, because I have had just the opposite. I bought my car there. They never call me back when they say they will and have just flat out lied to me on more than one occassion. Who do you speak to over there who is helpful and doesn't treat you like an idiot?

honda_s2k 10-28-2000 02:33 PM

I'll always defer to a Texan when it comes to an AC evaluation. You people live in an oven!

We had a rather cool Summer up here in the NE so if the AC warmed at all, it was welcomed!

Do you have any "snow/ice days" to look forward to down there? I am disgusted about having to put my S to bed for the Winter.

BTW, it all starts tomorrow. A foot of the white stuff is forecast for the mountains of NH. :eek:

svann 10-28-2000 10:30 PM

When I picked up the car the service tech felt that the A/C wasn't quite right yet but not having worked on one before he didn't really know.
Today while testing the repairs the A/C completely failed again. The common thread appears to be the use of the defroster setting. The compressor engaged briefly and then the expansion valve blew again. No more A/C!

Gregg Lee 10-29-2000 03:54 AM

Dallas has measurable snow on average one year out of three. We often do get a day or two or glare ice, usually in Feb or March after ground has cooled.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by honda_s2k:
[B]

Zoinks 10-31-2000 05:52 AM

Originally posted by Molly W:
Zoinks,

I'm glad you have had good luck at David McDavid, because I have had just the opposite. I bought my car there. They never call me back when they say they will and have just flat out lied to me on more than one occassion. Who do you speak to over there who is helpful and doesn't treat you like an idiot?

I had some of the same trouble at first. They had to do some major engine work on my car recently and the service guy would not call me back. I simply called the main # and asked for a manager. I don't want to quote the service manager's name, but she took good care of me.

Granted, it should have never come to that but *****ing does have it's rewards. :)