S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Experience renting S2000 on Turo

Old 08-01-2018, 06:00 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

Just a note, there is (was) a luxury used car business in Sacramento. I occasionally would peruse the stock. I came across a nice, low miles Rolls that was reasonably priced. I checked with USAA to see what the insurance might be. I was shocked at how low it was. The agents said Rolls Royce cars are not involved in many accidents. They are usually garaged and conservatively driven by the owners or chauffeurs. No DUIs, donuts on golf greens and all the usual stupid things that can happen to "lower class" cars. Intrigued but did not pull the trigger.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I am too risk averse to ever try this with my own car. I have considered renting a ferrari 430 or a Porschse from the turo in the past, but even then, too much can go wrong for me to take that chance. I'll save that for actual luxury rental companies.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:44 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Back in the day (way back) "I'm told" guys would rent Hertz Shelby Mustang 350H cars and track them. Yeah, I heard that somewhere.

-- Chuck
Old 08-03-2018, 03:38 PM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

I was recently at a 2 day track event / school and two different people rented from well-known car rental agency at the nearby airport. One had reserved a Mustang GT but when he arrived, they only had a V8 Camaro (don't recall which version). The other person also picked up a Camaro as he had requested. Both tracked them hard all weekend and dropped them off on the way home Sunday night. A bunch of us helped clean the brake dust off the rims before they left the track
Old 08-06-2018, 06:27 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Are people learning stick on you car?

Can't imagine having a yahoo with no ownership interest beat on my car.

Gotta a be a long term loser money wise. Seems like you're just liquidating you car for short term pocket money.

If you need to do this with the car you may not be able to afford it
Old 08-06-2018, 12:30 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

thanks for the real world info on the turo experience. I think it would work well with a new car, say a lease that i did not care about , it's not for me.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:12 PM

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry100
Are people learning stick on you car?

Can't imagine having a yahoo with no ownership interest beat on my car.

Gotta a be a long term loser money wise. Seems like you're just liquidating you car for short term pocket money.

If you need to do this with the car you may not be able to afford it
Why are you assuming it’ll be a long-term loser? Sounds like the OP may be a little more intelligent than the average “yahoo”. So far the OP has proven this to be well thought out and profitable. Where is your support, Gerry?
Old 08-07-2018, 09:15 AM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by ssbfgc
Why are you assuming it'll be a long-term loser? Sounds like the OP may be a little more intelligent than the average "yahoo". So far the OP has proven this to be well thought out and profitable. Where is your support, Gerry?
Often times when people rent a car, they are much harder on it than they are on their own car. I think he is assuming people will be that way with renting an S. That seems like a reasonable assumption. All it takes is a small percentage of renters to abuse and it could be a negative income proposition.

Of course, he has no proof that renters will abuse the car, or that the cost of that abuse will offset all the revenue. But its certainly a valid concern.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You better do not let me rent your S because I will use it for learning Keiichi Tsuchiya drifting.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:40 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

In addition to the possible additional wear and tear and maintnenance costs I'd worry about explaining to a buyer that it was a rental car.

That fact alone would drive down any purchase offer from me if I didn't just walk away

Quick Reply: Experience renting S2000 on Turo