S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Owned a 2006 for a whopping 8 days :/

Old 07-03-2017, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Owned a 2006 for a whopping 8 days :/

The Laguna blue S2000 I saw just recently blew me away. I had to have! I'd be hard pressed to name another car that looks better under 70 grand. It had 35,000 miles, and two previous owners. It's a Florida car and it is unbelievably clean inside and out. Unfortunately they didn't pass along any documentation.

The guy at the used car place (Indy Auto Source) said cylinder #2 had a misfire code. It wouldn't clear. He got a new coil and 4 new plugs and the problem persisted even with moving the coils around.

At this point I thought this could be fixed. Since I had no records on the car I took it to a well respected Honda dealership here in Indy (Penske). I asked for a full inspection. They came back with the cylinder #2 misfire code, naturally. Then they said cylinder #2 showed 90 psi on a compression test. Damn!!!!! Penske also said it needed a left air bag and that would be about $1,200 installed. Grrrr.

The used car guy gives a 30 warranty with his cars and he ponied up like an officer and a gentleman. He told me I could walk away from the whole thing. He gets a lot of cars from Carmax in Tampa. When his inventory is low he goes back to Tampa. He says it costs him an extra $375 per car to do it and he says everyone is impressed with the condition of the cars in his lot. He said that with all the cars he gets from Carmax he could most likely give it back to Carmax and not get gouged.

I seriously considered working with the guy to get it up and going but I'm just not, "that guy". I know my limits. I want a running car, not a project. As nice as the sales guy is, he's not going to have the time to wrench around on the car with me until it's done.

I'm 6'4" and I was pleasantly surprised to find no problem with headroom. But after driving it for several days I got concerned about where my right knee was always stuck right up on ride side of the footwell and I could not really get my knee away from it. I realized that if I was in a head on crash my knee would be a crumple zone. One more reason to move on.

I'm sure some of you won't agree with my walking away but as difficult as it is, it's best for me. At least that is my impression, not knowing what the magnitude of the work would entail. Just for the sake of discussion, I'd entertain alternate viewpoints. I don't want to be closed minded.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:07 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Sound like it wasn't meant to be. I'm 6'2" and would not want to be any taller in this car. After owning a miata I was too large for, I can confirm you don't want to own a fun car you're not physically comfortable in. The engine problems would steer me away from this particular car to begin with.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:09 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I would walk away from that car. As for the legroom, I'm 6'2" and installed some BYS seat rails to lower the seat an inch. One more inch would be great but it really helped with leg room under the wheel. Its a must do for your height.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Walk.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:04 PM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Heck, run!

-- Chuck
Old 07-03-2017, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mean if you like the car and he is willing to work with you on the price I don't see the issue really. Airbag can be had for sub 200.00 and the engine issue isn't that big of a deal especially if the price is flexible. I wouldn't turn down a good deal over some simple issues honestly.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

It would be interesting to see the current valve clearances on that car...
Old 07-04-2017, 09:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My main question would be where is that airbag and was there an impact that set it off?
if someone just "took" it, what else might they have taken from the car? Also you have to ask yourself if they ruined the engine with that little mileage, what other components also were damaged in the process...transmission and diff?

I would walk away...you can find better.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

That's the best colour too. Good luck OP
Old 07-05-2017, 01:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Walk away and get a used vette or Boxster. Sorry bud but 6'4 is def too big for this car.

Quick Reply: Owned a 2006 for a whopping 8 days :/