S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Fastest 0-60 - which is better: Spin the tires, or slip the clutch?

Old 10-22-2003, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fastest 0-60 - which is better: Spin the tires, or slip the clutch?

The other day, I pulled away from a stop lights, and a 300ZX just walked away from me. We had a rolling start, and I was already in second, so it was hardly a fair fight. Still, I'd like to know what the fastest way to 60 is.

I think spinning the tires (dump the clutch at 5 or 6k, then stay on it) would be easier on the car, assuming I don't damage the rear-end. I have slipped the clutch a couple of times, though. In addition to smelling up the car in a very bad way, it's really hard to feather the clutch in just the right way to get serious speed. On top of it I'm not sure slipping the clutch is any faster. Car & Driver managed to get a 5.4 sec 0-60 by slipping the clutch -- but I don't know how many times I could slip the clutch like that before I'd be OUT of a clutch!

Anyone with a timer or track time compare this?
Old 10-22-2003, 10:19 AM

Don't slip the clutch.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:22 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Drop the clutch!
Old 10-22-2003, 10:25 AM

It all depends what works best for you. Slipping the clutch would be good if you cant get traction off the line, but if you have no problem with that by all means just drop the clutch but you will start to feel that it wont be as effective as your tires die down.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:29 AM

Slippeage causes friction, friction generates heat and takes away energy which otherwise could be used to shave more time off... Ideally, you should slip absolutely nothing in order to achieve best acceleration.

However, in reality, something's gotta slip in order to go from zero to whatever speed. The trick is to simply minimize slipping stuffs.

Clutch is always the easiest to control versus lighting up the tires. Once the tires lose traction, unless you have traction control, you'll always have to lift, or slow down, in order to regain traction. If you continue to allow the wheels to spin, you'll only end up losing more time and wasting more gas and rubber. Whereas with the clutch, you can use it as "manual traction control" for the tires, use it to deliver the maximum amount of engine torque without slipping any of the wheels.

In essence, for best results during drag races, you'll need to start at 1st gear, not 2nd, unless if you're already travelling faster than 30mph, pedal to the metal, dump the clutch at around 5~6000rpm in a "gentle" way that won't light up the wheels and shift at 9,000rpm... or right before your tachometer start flashing red bars...
Old 10-22-2003, 11:13 AM

It's just a matter of time before someone flames you, cause you asked a 0-60 question..
I would rather drop the clutch and lose a few split seconds than lose a clutch.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:45 AM

You mean "ride the clutch?" That is only for high powered big blocks. First of all, the S isn't a drag car as it is more high speed. If you "dump" or "drop" the clutch at 6000 RPM's I can just about guarantee you the Z would be history. One magazine had 0-60 at 5.3 and 14.98 @ 100.50 MPH in the quarter, stock. If you wanted a drag type car with torque enough to smoke most cars in the quarter, maybe you should have considered a 320 HP Camaro. But to be honest, I prefer the S.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:15 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HI SPEEDR
You mean "ride the clutch?"
Old 10-22-2003, 12:19 PM
Community Organizer

Oh GAWD, how many times do we have to go through this "how to launch" crap?

If you don't care about your car, slip the clutch
If you don't care about your tires, drop the clutch

If you don't care about either, rev it until the red lights start blinking on your tach and slip it with tires and clutch smoking.

No matter what you do, if you expect a "drag launch" out of this car, it's gonna cause excessive wear and tear.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:21 PM

i think that was his point....

Quick Reply: Fastest 0-60 - which is better: Spin the tires, or slip the clutch?