S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Fiberglass Bumpers (Spoon S-Tai)

Old 04-29-2018, 06:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry Fiberglass Bumpers (Spoon S-Tai)

Hello S2K fam,

I recently stumbled upon some concerns with my fiberglass bumper. Or to be more specific, my Spoon S-tai bumper. I purchased the bumper used last last year of 2017, then restored it and then got it painted earlier this year. I love the bumper, however, just after a couple months of owning the bumper, I can already see minor stress cracks on the clear coat alongside two minor cracks on each side of the bumper where it comes into contact under each of the headlights. I'm greatly disappointed because I'm not sure if it was a wacky paint job I paid for ($4-$500), or the bumper experiencing stress or is under pressure when it is bolted onto the vehicle. I have another vehicle for a daily beater, therefore, the S2 is my weekend/car show warrior. I barely topped over 1k miles this year, mostly highway miles. The bumper has been taken off a few times for cleaning purposes (4-5 times since I owned it). I doubt that would cause the cracks or stress cracks on the clear coat, as I am very diligent and careful when taking the bumper off and putting it back on the vehicle. Another possibility I could think off is probably the under tray is a bit to heavy and that is causing the cracks? That wouldn't make much sense though, because Spoon specifically designed the under tray for the bumper and if they knew that it would be too heavy and is causing cracks on the bumper, they wouldn't have designed it. My last resort is to get the bumper fixed and repainted towards the end of this year since I am extremely meticulous about my car. I hope the bumper will last until or after Wekfest and Spocom!

Anyways, I don't know what else I can look at to see what can be the issue behind the cracks or if there's anything else I can do to decrease or minimize this issue before it gets worse.

Any advice or help will do! ***If posted on the wrong section of the forum, admin can feel free to move this post.***

Thanks,

- Kai H.

Last edited by ebpemone; 04-29-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:05 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Is the bumper cracked, or just the paint? It sounds like the painter didn't add enough flex to the paint to account for the bumper, and so the paint is cracking.

My nose is FRP (C West) and it has cracks from impacts, but also a stress crack next to one of the headlights that appeared after I had the nose off, so even taking the nose off can stress the paint.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Is the bumper cracked, or just the paint? It sounds like the painter didn't add enough flex to the paint to account for the bumper, and so the paint is cracking.

My nose is FRP (C West) and it has cracks from impacts, but also a stress crack next to one of the headlights that appeared after I had the nose off, so even taking the nose off can stress the paint.

The bumper is cracked and there are stress cracks from the clear coat. That's disappointing, is there a solution to fix these type of issues either than a repaint? I've been sourcing information, however, most of the comments and advices I've been finding is to restore the bumper completely with a repaint.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:34 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

If your bumper was originally installed and fitted in a state of rest where nothing was stressed then you should not have these issues, check with your shop as to the installation and hopefully it it can be worked out.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pictures?
Old 05-01-2018, 11:57 AM

Thank you,

I'll be dropping by the paint shop later today.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:58 AM

Not any at the moment, since I'll have to upload them. I can post some later.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Hfreak
If your bumper was originally installed and fitted in a state of rest where nothing was stressed then you should not have these issues, check with your shop as to the installation and hopefully it it can be worked out.
Thank you, I'll be dropping by the paint shop later today.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by kevinS2OOO
Pictures?

Not any at the moment as I'll have to upload them to post them on here.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:13 AM

So apparently I couldn't get a warranty because the painter said it's not a bad paint job and its the bumper that is causing the cracks and stress marks. I partially disagree because I have spoken to other S2k members who has the same exact bumper and they experience no issues like me, especially only after 2 months of paint. I'm greatly disappointed and will take my business elsewhere.

Thank you all and if you have any other ideas on how I can fix the bumper, I would greatly appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Fiberglass Bumpers (Spoon S-Tai)