S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Flip key option that works?

Old 11-04-2008, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you'll have to hack up a fob and a key right? I'm interested to see the results...the separate fob and key always bothers me...my mom's '05 CRV even has a one-piece key/fob
Old 11-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Banned

yeah. my button is sticking now too.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:35 PM

This UK civic forum seems to be on top of this as well. They seemed to be concerned about the transponder bring too far from the front of the key.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/general-discu...lip-key-47.html
Old 11-04-2008, 06:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks pretty cool. I might just order one, although I would like to know if there are any other cooler designs.

I have the key that early s2000 models have, and I had to drill a hole in that to fit the chip inside.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit,Nov 4 2008, 08:51 AM
Geez, that thing is as big as a cell phone!
I'd hate to have to use your cell phone then...
Old 11-05-2008, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oo, it came early!

Here's a quick write up on the Gies remote.

The unit doesn't feel cheap but isn't exactly rock solid. It feels like the old FOB in a way. Retracting mechanism feels sturdy and will probably withstand a lot of retracts. I can see the rubber buttons wearing over time though. Paint might chip off with extended use. The backside of the unit has a metal plate perfect for engraving an S2000 logo.

Installation was easy. I did it in about 20 minutes from start to finish. There are great instructions provided but no instructions on how to affix the transponder.

Comparison to old fob: Not that much bigger. Maybe the size of 2 FOBs stacked.

Operation: Place finger on backside of unit and slide out. 3 Loud clicks ensure fully extended and locked. Cover will automatically retract. Button on side retracts blade.

Removing transponder: Luckily I had a spare broken key as a donor. I guess I could've used a dremel but I wanted to see how easily I could've done this so I grabbed the closest pair of wire cutters and with herculean strength, I freed the transponder from it's grave.

Dismantle Gies FOB: It came with great instructions. Flat head screwdriver to the cover and it pops right out. Remove PCB Board holder.

Dismantle Honda FOB: Flathead to the front of the unit pops it right open. Remove board and battery.

Remove uncut key: With the Gies' cover off, pop off the front cover and unscrew key. Place board from honda fob and battery into board holder and wrap with supplied elastic bands.

Transponder: There's no actual instructions on where to affix the transponder. I did find this little section in the corner of the unit. From what I understand there are 2 different types of Honda transponders. Ours looks like a cyanide pill. I grabbed a bit of cotton and wrapped the transponder for shock impact and dropped it in there.

Reassemble it all and it's done.

The remote part works, but it's late so I'm gonna take the key to be cut tomorrow and I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

I talked to the seller and he said if I order a bunch, we can get a cheaper price. I can also check a local trophy store to see if they can engrave the logo. Anyone interested in a group buy?
Old 11-05-2008, 08:35 PM

I'd consider it.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Banned

it looks like we could cut the old key, and drill the hole where it mounts... no?

i'd rock it. my main key its all worn down to the yellow/while plastic.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:08 AM

Thats an excellent write-up. From the pictures it looks like the transponder is supose to go into that slit on the black plastic piece that holds the fob internals.....I could be wrong. Also, does the OEM fob just pop open or does it break? Would you be able to restore the OEM internals if need be?

Have you tried using the lock/unlock feature yet? Any difference in range? I'm getting one now so thanks for your review.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

i'll wait till you cut the key and it works... looks badass though

Quick Reply: Flip key option that works?