S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Fuel Gauge Incorrect

Old 04-07-2004, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge Incorrect

I know that some people have complained about earlier years having a problem with the fuel gauge, namely the tank registering as only 3/4 full when in fact it is completely full.

However, that isn't my problem. Today, I had 250 miles on the trip meter and two bars of gas left before filling up. AFTER filling the tank with a little over ten gallons, I screwed the cap on tightly (four clicks!) and hopped back in the car. I turned the car on... and the fuel gauge said I only had 1/2 a tank!

I turned the car off, waited a couple minutes, and turned it back on. STILL showing only half! I was in a hurry to go to work, so I just started driving. I kept checking the gauge as I was driving, and I noticed that it gradually worked its way back up to full after about 20 miles of driving.

Has this happened to anybody else and, if so, should I take it back to the dealer for a check-up? Mine is a MY03 with 12,000 miles.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:53 PM

Received 784 Likes on 434 Posts

If you leave the key in and in the accessory mode, even with the car not running, the gauge will not register correctly, and will respond slowly during the first 10-15 minutes of driving.

Honda has a bulletin about this on some other models. When I went to my dealer for service and mentioned this, they knew right away about the issue with other cars and correlated it to the S2K as well.

I no longer listen to the radio when I fill up, I just turn the car off.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:09 PM

Ah that makes sense... I almost always listen to the cd player when filling up, but this was the first time this happened. Thank you for the advice!
Old 06-21-2008, 12:11 PM

YES

I have been having the same problem. I finally took it to the dealer and the entire instrument cluster was replaced, then the fuel level sensing sending unit, in the gas tank...It is still doing the exact same thing. I am trying to find someone at HONDA that can diagnose this problem and give me a fix.

It looks to me like there is a problem with the design of the instrument cluster or the software that reads and converts the sending unit signal and displays it.

Since HONDA paid for the new Instrument cluster, even though the car was out of warranty, I am sure that they know what is really going on but simply do not want to say...Do they have a fix? Is a fix possibly? I do not know, but it seems to be a universal design problem. I have been an Electronics Engineer for thirty years and worked with sensors and effectors of all kinds. This sounds to me like a design problem...an unintentional feature.

I just filled up my car from about 2/3 to FULL and the gauge did not register full for about 15 miles...it just came up slowly.......s l o w l y....

I am going to call HONDA and see what the problem really is!

Hope this helps, Rick