S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   getting rid of street encounters forum (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/getting-rid-street-encounters-forum-144864/)

s2kpdx01 08-22-2003 08:38 AM

Anyone else want to just get rid of it?
I mean if you travel to other boards with more expensive cars like renntech, z06 board, or the viper board they don't have street racing forums. If you traverse that board at all you know it is just a bunch of chest thumping, penis comparing, dangerous BS. For me it would be nice to be one of, if not the only, import (read: japanese) boards to not have street encounters or ricer racing forum. We might lose a few members, but if all they are willing to leave over a street racing forum....who cares?

corey415 08-22-2003 08:42 AM

i like street encounters... good entertainment :eek3:

s2kpdx01 08-22-2003 08:43 AM

Originally posted by corey415
i like street encounters... good entertainment :eek3:
i guess...it's kinda like jerry springer...if that is your cup of tea, or coffee, or pint of beer!! :beer:

Da Hapa 08-22-2003 09:02 AM

I have maitained that street encounters has been and continues to be a bad idea.

While it is a reality that street racing exists and we can't simply ignore it, I can think of no good or responsible reason to implicitly condone it or even glorify it.

Nothing good comes from street racing and I think we'd be better off as a group and community if we chose the high road and got rid of that forum.

Just my 2 pennies.

Solless 08-22-2003 09:07 AM

to each his own if you don't like it stay out. Why hide the truth, some people play on the streets. It is not always smart and hopefully some people learn from others mistakes.

Woodson 08-22-2003 09:08 AM

I think the street encounters forum is stupid. So I don't read it.

If you remove the forum, all the chest-thumping and penis-comparing will seep into the other forums. Better to have it all in one place so we can avoid it.

s2kpdx01 08-22-2003 09:11 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Woodson
[B]I think the street encounters forum is stupid.

Strike 08-22-2003 09:11 AM

When the idea of creating a street encounters forum was brought up I was very opposed to the idea. I felt that it gave credibility and this board's endorsement of an unsafe practice. However, at the time there were always a couple of threads in S2000 talk about "kills" and driving unsafely on the streets. These threads always turned into flame wars with people like me arguing for safe driving practices and the other side arguing that they're only having fun and they didn't buy this car to drive it like a civic. Since the creation of the street encounters forum those with that mindset have a place to go to discuss their "kills" and the rest of us know what forum to keep clear of. I do go in their on occassion as I do find some of the stories humorous. But anyways, my opinion on the existence of that forum has changed since it's inception. The board is a lot quieter without the turmoil of the street race vs. don't street race argument. These stories will always be here anyways so we might as well relegate them to one area.

s2kpdx01 08-22-2003 09:15 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Strike
[B]When the idea of creating a street encounters forum was brought up I was very opposed to the idea.

Big Ben 08-22-2003 09:19 AM

My view on street racing is this. I do not agree with it at all. I also think that to glorify it with a forum for it just creates the impression of acceptance for it.

Now, this statement will probably get some objections.

Everyone, whether you think street racing is bad or not, has raced at a red light and will again race at a red light. BUT, like myself, those times are very few and far between and I WILL NOT race if there is any traffic. If I will have to hit my brakes hard to slow down to avoid something ahead, I will not race, PERIOD.

I find that about 99% of the street racers that glorify it and think it's ok to do it anytime you feel like it are young and stupid. Not really stupid, but just ignorant to the dangers they are causing for others. They frankly don't care about the dangers they are imposing on others.

Street racing is overall a bad thing and should never be glorified on forums. The young impressionable minds just get acceptance for it and it makes them think it's even more ok to do and this becomes a never ending cycle that spirals out of control. It is currently out of control on the streets in most cities.

So I say get rid of it.:thumbdn: