S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: getting rid of street encounters forum
Yes
37.50%
No
47.50%
I don't care either way
15.00%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

getting rid of street encounters forum

Old 08-27-2003, 11:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by honda606
[B]But you don't make any point...which was my point.

I'm not implying that my opinion(s), as a paying member, are any "better" than those coming from non-paying members.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the Ways and Means FAQ

Q. Why do I need to enter my VIN and what are owners?
A. The entering of your VIN number into your profile is our feeble attempt at making some form of automated ownership verification process. It's far from fool proof but it seems to do the job so far at classifying people either as owners or as non-owners (enthusiasts). The concept of ownership is designed (based on member requests) to indicate clearly if the person you are talking to is an actual owner of an S2000 or a 12 year old school girl. This information can assist you in weighting the value of advise you might receive from other users of S2KI. If a person's profile says "Owner" then you know they entered a valid S2000 vin # to get that tag. We don't verify their actual ownership beyond what I've described so you need to take that into consideration and proceed at your own risk.

Q. What are Users, Guests and Members?
A. This is a big question! Simply put users is everyone who uses this site. As to Guests and Members that will take a big more explaining.

Running a site the size of s2ki.com and the other non-internet related things we do (we have to do pretty much everything a club or business has to do and pay all the same bills) takes a lot of work and it takes some money. S2KI earns revenue to pay for that in two principle ways:

1. We sell advertising and the right to post commercial solicitation to the users
2. We ask the users to make a contribution by buying a membership

There are a couple of other things we do but 90% of the operating cash flow comes from these two sources.

To operate a community like this takes a lot of work. While it would be "great" if every user kicked in an hour or two each month to help out, the logistics of managing over 7000 or 8000 volunteers each working for only a couple of hours a month is not realistic. The Moderators help out a great deal and spend far more than a few hours doing what they do and it's a reasonably thankless job. Face it, when was the last time you thanked a moderator for the time they put in?

A much more realistic alternative for almost everyone else is to kick in $20 or $50 each year to help out instead. It takes a lot less work to manage that and is much more flexible from our perspective. For most everyone that's less than 1 hour's wages each year to fund the service we provide. Has this site saved you $20 or an hour of time in the past year? It likely has this month alone. There is a real need for cash so your $20 or $50 does make a substantial difference. I won't bore you with a sales pitch here, I'll save that for another time. Suffice to say we need your money and would greatly appreciate you buying a gold membership for $50 or a regular membership for $20 if that's all you feel you can afford.

Those who purchase memberships are known as "Members". Those who do/have not are their guests (since the members are paying for the service the guests receive). We could have chosen other terminology but we used the scientific OMA method instead.

Pretty much explains it
Old 08-28-2003, 05:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by erik

PS - Anyone who is thinking of realistically selling their car because of idiots on a forum, good luck finding a car you'll like.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:39 AM
TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by KenS2K
Your honest about where you stand. I respect that. But I hope at some point in your life you would reevaluate what you deem as "contribute".

Yes, some contribute money. This is good and helps keep the hardware, software, bandwidth and those managing it going. But others contribute better things than money. Such as their time, help, knowledge, humor, friendship, etc. (That is the soul and real reason s2ki is a success.)

Cheers,
Ken

Content is king!
Old 08-28-2003, 10:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by KenS2K
Your honest about where you stand. I respect that. But I hope at some point in your life you would reevaluate what you deem as "contribute".

Yes, some contribute money. This is good and helps keep the hardware, software, bandwidth and those managing it going. But others contribute better things than money. Such as their time, help, knowledge, humor, friendship, etc. (That is the soul and real reason s2ki is a success.)

Cheers,
Ken
Ken,

I agree with you 100% that there are things in this world with a greater intrinsic value than money; however, without contributions from forum users there would be no forum available for you to even make this point.

Cheers,

Ryan
Old 08-29-2003, 09:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by honda606
Ken,

I agree with you 100% that there are things in this world with a greater intrinsic value than money; however, without contributions from forum users there would be no forum available for you to even make this point.

Cheers,

Ryan
Not exactly Ryan. Having been part of the S2000 community longer than this fourm has even been in existence there is one thing I know for sure. If this forum shut down the population would just move to one of the other S2000 or Honda boards. Or a new one would spring up in its place. That's how this one started.

Personally, I don't/won't donate money directly to this board. I don't post that much here anyway, but it already borders on sucking too much of my time. (OK, it has already crossed that border. ) God forbid it takes my money too.

Indirectly I have/do send money to this forum. I patronize the sponsors.

But with the way things are turning more and more cliquish around here you won't be seeing much of me anyway. A once nice community gone bad.