S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Is this a good deal? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/good-deal-1186866/)

mattw92 07-28-2018 11:06 AM

Is this a good deal?

Hi All,

I've been looking for a good deal on an S2000 for a while and have been browsing these forums as well. I just saw a craigslist post that inspired me to make an account and ask what you guys think. The posting is for an '00 S2000 @153,xxx miles WITH a hard top and he is asking $10,000. I am a little concerned with buying a car with such high mileage, but if the price is right I might have to roll the dice! What do you think?

Euro_Ricer 07-28-2018 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by mattw92 (Post 24493229)
Hi All,

I've been looking for a good deal on an S2000 for a while and have been browsing these forums as well. I just saw a craigslist post that inspired me to make an account and ask what you guys think. The posting is for an '00 S2000 @153,xxx miles WITH a hard top and he is asking $10,000. I am a little concerned with buying a car with such high mileage, but if the price is right I might have to roll the dice! What do you think?

depends on how it's cared for. I know of an AP1 with just over 100K miles and perfect mechanically with complete maintenance, valves, etc addressed for 11K. Has some cosmetic imperfections. In Aiken, SC. No Hardtop though.

NNY S2k 07-28-2018 11:48 AM

I think other than year, mileage and hardtop (oem or other) we know nothing of this car to help you.
Levi

Euro_Ricer 07-28-2018 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by NNY S2k (Post 24493251)
I think other than year, mileage and hardtop (oem or other) we know nothing of this car to help you.
Levi

Thanks - someone was clearly very intentional in the build and I didn't know if the community knew the car for that reason. IMO it's like a random person putting on a supercharger vs LHT. I'd pay more for the LHT car and likely pass for an unknown supercharger installed in a random garage. Don't mind a well built car but not interested in someone else's science experiment.

Hfreak 07-28-2018 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Euro_Ricer (Post 24493252)
Thanks - someone was clearly very intentional in the build and I didn't know if the community knew the car for that reason. IMO it's like a random person putting on a supercharger vs LHT. I'd pay more for the LHT car and likely pass for an unknown supercharger installed in a random garage. Don't mind a well built car but not interested in someone else's science experiment.

:scratch::scratch::rolleyes:

Euro_Ricer 07-28-2018 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Hfreak (Post 24493298)
:scratch::scratch::rolleyes:

replied in the wrong thread. Sorry. Was multitasking with too many tabs open.

IA-SteveB 07-30-2018 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by mattw92 (Post 24493229)
Hi All,

The only way to know for sure is to pay to have a knowledgeable mechanic perform a pre-purchase inspection. It is definitely worth the money to expose any potential issues and the meager sum could save you $$$ down the road or at least give you ammo to work on the price. You also have to figure that if the hard top is OEM and in good shape, they are worth north of $3000 on the market. You haven't supplied us with enough info to help much, so get the car inspected to at least make sure of the mechanicals.

Say Chi Sin Lo 07-30-2018 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB (Post 24493899)
The only way to know for sure is to pay to have a knowledgeable mechanic perform a pre-purchase inspection. It is definitely worth the money to expose any potential issues and the meager sum could save you $$$ down the road or at least give you ammo to work on the price. You also have to figure that if the hard top is OEM and in good shape, they are worth north of $3000 on the market. You haven't supplied us with enough info to help much, so get the car inspected to at least make sure of the mechanicals.

Learning more and more here.

I too plan to have a reputable, and hopefully Honda S2000 mechanic/shop to inspect my purchase prior. How much do these inspections cost? I'd like a ball-park estimate if possible.

Thanks!

IA-SteveB 07-30-2018 09:08 AM

I'd expect to fork over $100 to $150. It's not wasted money at all if you are interested in the car. Failure to do a PPI can cost you a LOT more.

Say Chi Sin Lo 07-30-2018 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB (Post 24493937)
I'd expect to fork over $100 to $150. It's not wasted money at all if you are interested in car. Failure to do a PPI can cost you a LOT more.

Definitely agree, I was expecting much more.