S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Good news from NSX Prime about Comptech and its Supercharger

Old 10-18-2000, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Posted a query on NSX Prime asking for their impressions on CT superchargers for NSXs and whether there've been engine failures, and how CT stands behind its products.

Reviews are uniformly favorable. Good news!

Thread at:
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000761.html

2x6spds
Old 10-18-2000, 10:45 AM

Sounds good so far. I know Doug, the owner of the Flamed Supercharged NSX @ http://www.nsxfiles.com . He races his car quite a bit and you could spend days on his website.
Old 10-18-2000, 11:03 AM

Yeah, that's when he's not racing his Ferrari!
Old 10-18-2000, 11:10 AM

Hopefully I won't get sued for this, but here's some good stuff from the http://www.nsxfiles.com website I thought might be of interest:

"Comptech Supercharger(May 1998)

I couldn't take it anymore. The NSX doesn't have enough horsepower to keep up with modified Porsche 944 Turbos, Vipers, Corvette ZR1's, etc. at the race track and at the Virginia City Hill Climb. Ever since I got killed at the 1997 Virginia City Hill Climb, I knew I had to do something. The Comptech Supercharger is based on a Whipple supercharger, with design and mods done by Comptech to fit under the existing engine cover in a stock NSX.

Update: May 1998 - we run the car at Mid Ohio, probably 400+ miles on the track, sharing the car with Wayne and Harry. Car seems to run good. Some people on the track felt that it should have been faster.

Update: June 1998 - At Buttonwillow Wayne can no longer pull away from me in his 944 Turbo since I got the Supercharger. Unfortunately, I blow brake line, can't compete in time trial event. No valid lap times....

Update: June 1998 - Supercharger + Hoosiers + suspension mods allows me to drop 15+ seconds on my Virginia City Hill Climb times. Works great! I come in 8th out of 50 cars. Ya gotta have power for hill climbs. First time that I have broken into the top 10 at the Hill Climb. Extra power is a good thing to have.....

Update: August 1998 - Wayne and I run car in 3 hour PRO Racing enduro, along with me running in Touring Car Club sprint race. Car runs good. We take 4th out of 20 in the enduro, I take 3rd out of 18 in the sprint race.

Update: August 1998 - Wayne and I run car in LA Street Race. We take 8th out of 40+ in Saturday one hour race. Sunday race is aborted due to crash. Monday we take 8th out of 36 cars in a shortened race.

Update: August 1998 - I run the car at Willow Springs for MIT event. I run 1:35.41, which is fastest that I have ever gone at Willow, and I did this on street tires(S02's), as I didn't get my Hoosiers to the track. Also did not have short gear tranny in the car, had regular tranny. Top speed going into turn eight(133+) is about six miles faster than I have ever gone into that turn.

Update(August 1998) - Car is dynoing rear wheel at 284 HP with modified RM Racing exhaust. Car is going to Comptech in Mid October to see if something is wrong, I was expecting to get 305 HP rear wheel on the dyno.

Overall opinion - Supercharger is reliable. I got 11,000 hard, hard miles on it, and I spin it to the redline every chance I get. Definitely helped me in Hill Climb and at Willow Springs, and the other racing events. Many people are surprised at low output on dyno. I don't think I can live without it, but then again, sure would be nice to get 305+ rear wheel HP out of the car. But then again, we all want our cake and eat, meaning we all want more HP, yet also make it ultra reliable.....

Update(November 1998) I got the car back from Comptech. They put in new fuel regulator and engine ship. Car is rocking now, dynoing at 325 rear wheel(I had race gas in it)."

By the way, it's a great site, go to the "Pulp Stories" secion and check it out...

[This message has been edited by fluxen (edited October 18, 2000).]
Old 10-18-2000, 05:19 PM

So far so good Looks like the SC might help keep my mind off the long wait for my E46 M3
Old 10-18-2000, 05:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't want to worry anyone, but please note that the NSX roots-type SC design is very different than the centrifugal SC planned for the S2K. It sounds like Comptech makes a good product, but be careful about drawing too many conclusions from the NSX example.
Old 10-19-2000, 06:45 AM

Joshua is right, there are differences we should keep in mind between the two kits. I think they are:

1) The NSX kit is a roots blower, giving power from low rpms, where the S2k kit will only improve power from mid-range up (and maybe rob us of a few hp in the very low range.

2) The SC in the NSX kit is a well established SC with a reliable history, the SC in the S2k kit is new, without the history.

3) The NSX seems to have proven that its drivetrain can deal with the increased HP, the S2k is an unknown.

I may have left something out. On the plus side:

1) Comptech has a good rep for not putting crap out (recently redesigned strut bar not withstanding).

2) The NSX and the S2k were designed and built by the same people (not just company, but people), so hopefully the s2k will take the additional power the way the NSX does.

3) The S2k kit costs 1/2 as much as the NSX kit.

If you think of other items, please add them to the thread...