S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Got a tiny circular crack on my windshield - what to do ? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/got-tiny-circular-crack-my-windshield-what-do-183790/)

s2kdriver80 02-16-2004 01:36 PM

Got a tiny circular crack on my windshield - what to do ?

I was driving around yesterday and noticed a small circular "crack" on my windshield (about 1 cm in diameter). It kinda looks like as if a bubble got stuck in the window but it's a crack alright probably caused by a rock or pebble. I can't really feel the fracture when I rub it with my finger (I tried feeling both outside and inside of the glass).

Besides having to replace the whole windshield, can the crack be "sealed" (or shrunk down) before it gets any larger? I don't want to replace the windshield if I don't have to since the guys who do it will probably end up scratching and scruffing up the interior, not to mention the new inspection and registration stickers I'd have to reacquire for the new window.

Can the dealer do this or just specializing glass places? Thanks for any info.

Euclid 02-16-2004 01:39 PM

The dealer will just have someone come and do it for them. I'd just call up some places. I know Safelite will repair cracks and chips and even come out to where you are. It shouldn't be to much money.

s2kdriver80 02-16-2004 01:54 PM

If they just have to seal the crack, it doesn't involve taking off the windshield right? I guess they would just fix it on the car. Thanks.

Euclid 02-16-2004 02:24 PM

No, they'd only remove the windshield to replace it.

RedY2KS2k 02-16-2004 02:47 PM

Glass repair places come to where the car is parked and fix the chip on the spot.

Have it done immediately, because if it spreads and cracks, it can't be repaired and the windshield will have to be replaced.

My wife had one repaired; I could hardly find the repaired spot afterward, and I remembered exactly where the chip was. She couldn't see it at all.

Often, insurance will waive the deductible on these repairs, since they save the cost of an eventual windshield replacement.

WhiteS2k 02-16-2004 03:16 PM

Some insurance companies will pay ALL the cost of fixing a small crack on the windshield, i.e., NO out-of-pocket charge to the owner at all. They do this so they don't have to pay for replacing the whole windshield if the crack spreads. I know our AAA insurance company will pay for and set up appointments for the glass company to come to my car to fix it, on the spot. So you might want to check with your insurance first.

s2kdriver80 02-16-2004 03:18 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RedY2KS2k
Glass repair places come to where the car is parked and fix the chip on the spot.

s2kdriver80 02-16-2004 03:19 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WhiteS2k
Some insurance companies will pay ALL the cost of fixing a small crack on the windshield, i.e., NO out-of-pocket charge to the owner at all.

Euclid 02-16-2004 03:28 PM

^^ Yup, and even though you have $1000 deductable, most insurance companies windshield replacement deductable is only $100. And a lot of glass places waive the deductable.

UT-RTFM 02-16-2004 03:36 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SiDriver
Besides having to replace the whole windshield, can the crack be "sealed" (or shrunk down) before it gets any larger?