S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

growl/howl 2k-3k in gear

Old 09-14-2011, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default growl/howl 2k-3k in gear

So this started last night. It's frustrating me. Doesn't make the sound much on lower gears but makes it in 4th but much noticeable in 5th and you can't miss it in 6th. The guy that i bought the car 1,000 miles ago said he got the clutch replaced. I'm not sure if it needs transmission oil change or diff oil change or what exactly the problem is. I have a 00'
Old 09-14-2011, 11:37 AM

The guy told me that the clutch was replaced at 63k and the diff fluid as well, but the flywheel wasn't replaced nor the transmission fluid.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you pinpoint where you hear the sound coming from?

In any case, changing the transmission and differential fluids is a good idea to do with a used car. You have no way of knowing when it was last done unless the previous owner provided maintenance records.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Syn
Can you pinpoint where you hear the sound coming from?

In any case, changing the transmission and differential fluids is a good idea to do with a used car. You have no way of knowing when it was last done unless the previous owner provided maintenance records.
The previous owner said that clutch was replaced at 63k but not the fly wheel and nor was the transmission was changed, but the differential fluid wad changed. The car now has 66k. The sound is coming from middle body like where the dashboard is in the center... How much would it be for transmission fluid plus diff fluid? I was just looking in to flywheel replacements.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't recall exact prices but I had my trans and diff fluid both done for a relatively low cost. Just make sure they use the correct rear differential fluid as it's apparently common for the wrong type to be used (Honda had a couple of different rear diff fluid types and one of them will cause mechanical failure--you can search to find more info on the forums).

The Honda MTF was like $15-20 for the 2 quarts from a dealership and the diff fluid wasn't too much more as I recall.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:35 PM

But I'm still not sure if that is the fix.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:56 PM

I just checked the engine oil and it was quite low. I added to the right level after various numbers of checking and test drove it, but the noise didn't go away. Could it be the fly wheel?!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:03 PM

Not sure if this could be your problem but it was mine. When I was test driving my S before I bought it, I also heard a lot of noise. It sounded really bad and it was certainly trans noise. I went through all the recepits from the previous owner and saw one for a clutch job. I was looking at the shifter and felt something lose at the base of it. I took it apart and the plastic ring that holds down the rubber boot was broken. Apparently this is commonly broke when non Honda shops do a clutch job. I replaced the ring and my noise went away. It lets all the road noise and gear noise fron the trans into the cabin without the ring clipped in.

Worth a look I guess.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by OG35Z
Not sure if this could be your problem but it was mine. When I was test driving my S before I bought it, I also heard a lot of noise. It sounded really bad and it was certainly trans noise. I went through all the recepits from the previous owner and saw one for a clutch job. I was looking at the shifter and felt something lose at the base of it. I took it apart and the plastic ring that holds down the rubber boot was broken. Apparently this is commonly broke when non Honda shops do a clutch job. I replaced the ring and my noise went away. It lets all the road noise and gear noise fron the trans into the cabin without the ring clipped in.

Worth a look I guess.
How hard is it for me to do this? I can work on cars but haven't worked on transmission before. What is the process?
Old 09-14-2011, 04:39 PM

A quick search and I found this link below. If you look at the first picture you can see a white ring / circle on top of the boot. That is what was broken on mine. You can feel for this without taking it apart but it really is not that hard to take it apart an know for certain. http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2606482

Quick Reply: growl/howl 2k-3k in gear