S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   hardtop installation question-- (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/hardtop-installation-question-15129/)

bullet S2K 05-18-2001 04:14 PM

i just got a hard top through a local dealer (buena park honda) and it is sitting in their stock room. i got a pretty decent deal for the top ($2850). but the installation is the problem. they first told me it is going to take less than three hours to install it, but when i went to the dealer to install it, they are saying that it is going to take anywhere between six hours to twelve hours!! talk about incompetence! (that's $70 an hour times up to 12!) outraged, i said i wanted to take the top home and install it myself--untill i saw how big the box that the top came in. it's too big and i don't have truck. i talked to two other people in that dealer and one said it is going to take four hours and the other one says six hours. they are just arbitrarily calling the hours!

so, my question is, for those of you who had hard top installed, how long did it take you (or your dealer take) to install it?

thanks.

i hate this car dealership.

s2kblk 05-18-2001 04:22 PM

I was at first quoted 2 hrs @ $65/hr. I ended up paying for 4 hrs. If I did it, it probably would have taken me the whole day. $260 to me is not as valuable my time.

1Y2KS2K 05-18-2001 04:30 PM

I think the official rate for install is 3.5 hours (if the mechanic knows what he's doing). The dealers may well charge more if their mechanic has never done one before. BTW. Get the hardtop home by renting the smallest U-haul truck, for $19.95/hour + mileage. Hope you have lots of garage space. The box is about 5' 6" square, by 3' 4" deep!

s2kblk 05-18-2001 04:36 PM

There's a learning curve on dealer installations. If they've done a few before, then it'll be faster. If they've never done it, they're just sitting there with the manual trying to figure it out as they go along. Basically, what you and I would do if we were going to install it.

vpitnt4 05-18-2001 06:07 PM

About four hours if the dealer has experience on the operacion.
Four us amateurs it would take a lot longer.
You have to replace both the windshield and rear locks, wich means you'll have to remove all the plastics on the back of the seats, the ones around the windshield, install the switch for the rear window, and worst of all, before puting all back in place you'll have to check if the HT is centered on all sides and angles- a trial and error operation.
Make sure that the dealer has done several installations, and trust me, leave them with that f*#$$% job. Is money well spent, unless you want a nervous breakdown:D

Paulo

xviper 05-18-2001 07:16 PM

I did it myself at home in less than 3 hrs. I would like to think the dealer guys is more efficient than me. Sounds to me that they're trying to get you for more money since you got such a good deal.

PaulS2K 05-18-2001 07:52 PM

My dealership said 4 hrs to install the hardtop.

Barry in Wyoming 05-19-2001 04:22 AM

I paid $150 for the install. It took about 2 3/4 hours including in addition to the hardtop, wiring in my V1 and installing my X-brace and strut tower bar.

It was the dealer's first and only. Wade did a great job. He'd done previous S2000 work so he was familiar with removing some of the panels.

Six to twelve hours is ridiculous, unless they're throwing in the supercharger too.

Barry

S2K Fan 05-19-2001 06:06 AM

No dealers willing to do it for free?

lmapow 05-20-2001 04:44 AM

Had mine installed about 3 weeks ago by the dealer... it was their first install and took about 3 hours...