S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Has anyone come out with a cost-effectice CF or FG vented hood solution?

Old 06-11-2002, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone come out with a cost-effectice CF or FG vented hood solution?

As the full heat of summer is nearly upon us, I can feel my car getting slower after standing in 80-90 degree weather. The torque loss is simply incredible, as I need to slip the clutch 1k RPMs higher or the car will bog. I've read in the past where someone's "friend" had a shop or knew someone or had some other scheme which never seemed to pan out to construct a carbon fiber hood. I'd happily settle for a fiberglass hood which weighs the same or less then the stock hood, but comes with vents to help extract the heat from the engine bay. Idealy, I'd love a vented CF hood, but I'm not willing to pay more then $600-700 dollars. I've seen CF hoods go for $400 for other low production cars, so I'm adding $200-$300 on top of that to have a quality job done and vents put in. Am I dreaming here? Is anyone investigating a more affordable CF solution then those currently offered (i.e. Mugen)? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks,

Mike
Old 06-11-2002, 10:02 AM

I think you're right on the edge of dreaming and reality...give me a few weeks cuz I'm working on something exactly along these lines.
Old 06-11-2002, 10:14 AM

Mike, if Shamu's deal doesn't work out, give FiberImages a call. They may be able to make a custom hood with vents based on their OEM carbon fiber hood. I have their carbon fiber hood and the quality is very good for the money. I'm happy with it personally.

Cheers,
Old 06-11-2002, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Shamu
I think you're right on the edge of dreaming and reality...give me a few weeks cuz I'm working on something exactly along these lines.
Definately PM or e-mail me when you have a finished product or are ready to release more details.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by Sime
Mike, if Shamu's deal doesn't work out, give FiberImages a call. They may be able to make a custom hood with vents based on their OEM carbon fiber hood. I have their carbon fiber hood and the quality is very good for the money. I'm happy with it personally.

Cheers,
I just sent them e-mail. We'll see if anything comes of it. Thanks for the suggestion,

Mike
Old 06-11-2002, 12:42 PM

I once went to a shop where the guy specialized in making custom hoods from your stock hood. He makes cowls, scoops, vents, e.t.c. If he did make vents in the stock hood, how can you keep water from entering the engine bay and causing damage? Also, if he made these cuts in the hood for the vents, how do you know in 3 or 4 years, the hood will not begin to rust?
Old 06-11-2002, 12:48 PM

If you look at your engine, you will see that all of the electrical connections and what not are covered by rubber or in other ways sealed. Water (as long as it's not standing) will not hurt a running engine, especially since the heat from the engine bay will vaporize it before it touches anything. As for rust, aluminum doesn't. Depending on cost, that may actualy be a good option depending on what's available.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:52 PM

This particular shop is located in Long Island and he specializes in vettes, but will work on anything. He does the best three color fade paint jobs on the east coast for sure. Some sick work. It is called Professional's Choice
Old 06-11-2002, 12:57 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by S4 Mike
If you look at your engine, you will see that all of the electrical connections and what not are covered by rubber or in other ways sealed. Water (as long as it's not standing) will not hurt a running engine, especially since the heat from the engine bay will vaporize it before it touches anything. As for rust, aluminum doesn't. Depending on cost, that may actualy be a good option depending on what's available.
You sure about that? Take a look at your engine only the front area is covered that's why the J's Hood and Amuse has the vents in the front. The Mugen and Top Secret have vents up top but the have rain channels. I don't think the alternator is covered.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:27 PM

I was planning on putting the scoop/hole toward the front or sides of the hood, so that's where I was primarily looking. I'll take a better look before I make a final decision, but I'm confident that unless you're pouring water down the scoop, your engine will be ok. For the winter, I'm planning on making a "stopper" so that snow will not accumulate.