S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Has owning an S2000 ruined your experience of other cars?

Old 10-10-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I would say yes, not so much that I think the S is that much better than everything, it's that it's that much better than everything for the price. I can't see spending 2-3-4X as much as my S is worth because I don't think those sports cars would be anything close to 2-3-4x as much fun. There's nothing I can buy with the combination of low price, low running costs, daily usability, and reliability that compares.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:28 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack
I would say yes, not so much that I think the S is that much better than everything, it's that it's that much better than everything for the price. I can't see spending 2-3-4X as much as my S is worth because I don't think those sports cars would be anything close to 2-3-4x as much fun. There's nothing I can buy with the combination of low price, low running costs, daily usability, and reliability that compares.
Couldn't agree more. Can't really think of anything even close to this price range that is as much fun, while not depreciating or requiring much in the way of maintenance costs. It's hard to find ANY car that's cheaper to own, and finding one that's also this much fun to drive is maybe impossible.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say that owning my s2000 has ruined my experience with the s2000. Everything I read prior to purchase made me think its a japanese car that is super reliable. All you need to do is change oil and tires basically and thats it. Well the car I bought was on its second engine and I have now changed it to its third engine. Not to mention I will be on my second clutch very shortly in only 20 k miles. Im starting to think my car was built on a friday just before clock out time. If I wasn't so in love with the car it would have been sold long ago.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:15 PM

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts

There's a certain X factor with the S that I've never found in anything else I can afford. I test drove a new Cayman 2 years ago and there are definitely some pluses with that car I just couldn't bring myself to trade in the S for one. The sales guys thought I was crazy.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by santiagoa526
I would say that owning my s2000 has ruined my experience with the s2000. Everything I read prior to purchase made me think its a japanese car that is super reliable. All you need to do is change oil and tires basically and thats it. Well the car I bought was on its second engine and I have now changed it to its third engine. Not to mention I will be on my second clutch very shortly in only 20 k miles. Im starting to think my car was built on a friday just before clock out time. If I wasn't so in love with the car it would have been sold long ago.
Sorry to hear this. What you are experiencing is definitely not the norm for S2000 owners.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may be weird but take it as you will.. I can only attribute my behavior to psychological/financial factors but I've owned a Lotus Elise, and a second generation Miata. Driving the Elise was nice, but after having to repair a crack for 1000 dollars and then driving around with more fear of something happening on the road that is outside of my control didn't sit well with me. When things weigh like that on my head, I tend to steer away pretty quick. It could just be me.

So, I actually ended up getting a Miata at some point. While it was cheap as dirt, it also showed it and drove like it. I sold it about a year later.

I had an S2000 back in college, and just picked up another one. I feel right at home.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:54 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by funcoland
This may be weird but take it as you will.. I can only attribute my behavior to psychological/financial factors but I've owned a Lotus Elise, and a second generation Miata. Driving the Elise was nice, but after having to repair a crack for 1000 dollars and then driving around with more fear of something happening on the road that is outside of my control didn't sit well with me. When things weigh like that on my head, I tend to steer away pretty quick. It could just be me.

So, I actually ended up getting a Miata at some point. While it was cheap as dirt, it also showed it and drove like it. I sold it about a year later.

I had an S2000 back in college, and just picked up another one. I feel right at home.
Good to hear your experiences. I rented an Elise and liked it, but I have to say that expensive clamshell is a big factor in me not getting one. I want to be able to go to the track and have a minor off without a high likelihood of spending four figures. And I recently - finally - drove a Miata (same gen as your old one) for the first time. It was cool but I have to admit the engine killed it for me. I'm not a complete power junkie, but it's hard for me to have fun when the acceleration experience is that bland.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
While I don't have an Atom, I can understand how you feel. This shares the garage with my S2000:

Very cool! What are the specs on that beast?
Old 10-11-2017, 09:27 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by santiagoa526
I mean, not to blame you, but you bought a car on its second engine, that tells me the car was abused or mistreated in some way. Probably not an example to judge the rest of the read by.

My car has had a few small niggles (leaking diff mount, timing chain tensioner, dirty MAF) but all have been easy to DIY and extremely inexpensive to fix compared to what it could have been on other sports cars.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
Good to hear your experiences. I rented an Elise and liked it, but I have to say that expensive clamshell is a big factor in me not getting one. I want to be able to go to the track and have a minor off without a high likelihood of spending four figures. And I recently - finally - drove a Miata (same gen as your old one) for the first time. It was cool but I have to admit the engine killed it for me. I'm not a complete power junkie, but it's hard for me to have fun when the acceleration experience is that bland.
I can see that you own an M3, if you come from that car like that feels and sounds like that I'm sure ALL the Miata's would feel boring in the straight haha!

Ironically, my best experiences I remember in the Elise in the brief time I owned it (a year) were:
  • driving my then girlfriend out for a night on the town and then being able to drive underneath the parking garage automated blocker thing to get free parking
  • telling a guy at a light that the car is not a Lamborghini but a Lotus
  • engine sounds right behind your head were cool

Quick Reply: Has owning an S2000 ruined your experience of other cars?