S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Have any of you considered purchasing a Boxster or Cayman instead of your S?

Old 09-20-2018, 11:59 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Any Boxster should be after 09( ?) to avoid any IMS issues
Old 09-21-2018, 05:11 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

A Boxster or a C7 'vert would be the only things I'd look at to replace my S. That's probably only if the S goes tango uniform, though.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry100
Any Boxster should be after 09( ?) to avoid any IMS issues
I looked into this before. Some people say it doesn't affect that many of them but I'd probably get the work done ASAP just to not worry about it.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I Turo'd a 987.1 Cayman S (6 speed) while I was out in Colorado a couple weeks ago to run through the mountains while I was there. I was super convinced based on all the hype that I was going to love it. I was pretty disappointed honestly. Interior and seats were nice and the car felt incredibly planted in the twisties. Impressively so. The power delivery and shifter feel and just overall driving of the car didnt do it for me though. I felt like the transmission could easily be outshifted and hated the feel of it. For the price, I just dont feel like it delivers enough more than the S2000. It crushed my dreams because I had been banking on the Cayman to be the car that solved all my wants in a car lmao. Im in the process of making arrangements to get back into a S2k this week. I have missed it for too long.
The following users liked this post:
99MCoupe (05-16-2019)
Old 09-21-2018, 02:54 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

We have one of each. S2000 more "edgy", Boxster more refined. Hard to believe how close the two cars are in weight considering the difference in feel.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:09 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Here are my thoughts - https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...hello-1166273/

Essentially the right Boxster for me would have cost me 80k. Though I was prepared to spend that I was not sure I would have had more fun in one. Now that mine is Supercharged and tastefully modded I'm even happier with my decision.
A boxster will be more refined but not any more fun - as s2000 is more unique and and I think offers more of a true analogue no frills experience.
I'll have a P-Car at some point though. They are fine machines and a step up in quality in every respect (obviously). I'm not a fan of the pre 2012 boxsters either. It's an easy decision for me if that is the other option.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:56 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Number affected is an unknown as Porsche stonewalled the issue ( officially Porsche has never made a mistake of any kind) leading to negative speculation. This is why 996s are so low priced.
Consensus is that the number is 10% and there are fixes that I don't know much about. I do know that Ive seen a dead Boxster trackside and a new motor is over $10k.
That being said , the new engine design eliminated the IMS entirely about 8-9 years ago so non IMS cars are getting reasonable.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was bidding on Boxsters, M Roadsters and the S2000. I could have ended up with any of them and I studied/researched the various issues to a neurotic degree. The S's "issues" are much cheaper and quicker to fix. TCT. Valve adjustments in DBW cars. Both the Boxsters and the M Roadsters in the $13-$20K range have much more expensive potential issues, but they're still just a small total percentage.

The IMS is really not a big deal. If it bothers you, it's $2-$3K to pay someone to proactively fix. You should also look up the VIN on LNengineering.com as I've seen some on BaT that had it replaced by an earlier owner and the seller didn't even know.
If it blows up, engine swaps are $6-$10K depending on what you do. The mid mounted engine is not easy to get at. I like working on cars and it was a huge negative for me.

I'm extremely happy with the S2000. I do wonder if I'd fit better in one of the others, given that I'm 6'3. If I replaced my S, it'd probably be with a Z4 hardtop convertible or possibly a SL mercedes.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:20 PM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

This has actually been a common thread in the Car Talk forums over the years. A lot of guys (myself included) have gone from the S2000 to Caymans. Right now I still have the S2000, and a (turbocharged) Cayman, and a 911. They're all great cars, to be honest. To me, the Cayman (mine's an 2006 S manual) just amps it up a bit. Bigger brakes, more tire, more composure, just more grown up. The mid engine balance is to die for (yeah, I know, I know, the s2000 is also "mid-engined" - trust me, it's not the same). Drawbacks: it's not a convertible. It will cost more to own and operate.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
This has actually been a common thread in the Car Talk forums over the years. A lot of guys (myself included) have gone from the S2000 to Caymans. Right now I still have the S2000, and a (turbocharged) Cayman, and a 911. They're all great cars, to be honest. To me, the Cayman (mine's an 2006 S manual) just amps it up a bit. Bigger brakes, more tire, more composure, just more grown up. The mid engine balance is to die for (yeah, I know, I know, the s2000 is also "mid-engined" - trust me, it's not the same). Drawbacks: it's not a convertible. It will cost more to own and operate.
You running a TPC kit on the CS? Would love to hear your thoughts

Quick Reply: Have any of you considered purchasing a Boxster or Cayman instead of your S?