S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Have any of you considered purchasing a Boxster or Cayman instead of your S?

Old 10-01-2018, 04:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have driven a variety of P-cars on the track and on the street. I remain unimpressed. They are great getting around a corner or ripping down the straight, better than my S2000, however... There is always a "however" with these cars. I have had two different guys come up to me over the past 4 years I have had the S2000. Both said, "I used to own one of those. Sold it for a 911. Wish I hadn't." (Almost verbatim for both guys!). It is hard to explain, but the way I think of it is that the P-cars lack a soul. You don't connect with them the same way you do the S2000. Sorry I can't be more definitive.
The following users liked this post:
99MCoupe (05-16-2019)
Old 10-01-2018, 06:27 PM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bluejk09
You running a TPC kit on the CS? Would love to hear your thoughts
Yes, it's a TPC. I bought the car almost 6 years ago. The previous owner had it installed 9 years ago at 20k miles. Today the car has 62k. That's 42k miles boosted over 9 years. It's pretty much my daily driver, probably drive it to work 4 days a week and reliability has been outstanding. Idles smoothly, no CELs, good manners, and it goes like a raped ape when you step on it. For the money, it's hard to beat. The dyno shows a 50% bump over stock, so about 440hp, and torque plateaus at 2500rpm. Couple that with a mid engine chassis that's just over 3000lbs, and it's a really fun car.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm probably not going to add much to this thread....in and around 2004 when i got my S my good friend got a 2004 boxster S. It was more expensive, has a nicer top, depreciated more, more refined, better seats, better interior, gauges, more power and torque. Handled like a real mid engine car, better than the honda...cost....way more for purchase, upkeep, and looks fab.

That being said, my friend sold his eventually, took a nice bath depreciation wise, and I still have and love my S2000. The Honda has a better gearbox, equally nice lines, is less to keep up after 15 years I can say that, and i do my own valve adjustments, oil changes, plugs, belts, etc...and it's fun to do these things to such a nice car....and the Honda handles well and drives like it has a rear bias more. My Honda is worth more arguably than a 2004 Boxster S now. I have a 2004 bought in 2003, and I did not pay sticker, which was a big deal for years with the S, I got it below sticker which made me feel even better.

Looking back, it was not the extra money for the Boxster at the time, it was the Honda was so much more of what I was wanting for several years since driving a 2001 AP1 in 2002. it was and is the right car for me.

Both cars would be a great car for the garage. i do not regret my choice, it's a personal thing....
Old 10-03-2018, 11:33 AM

Received 1,189 Likes on 923 Posts

I have autox'd a Boxter and my S2k back to back, both in BStreet form (mostly stock) at a practice event back in 2014 before I modded the car for STR. The Boxster of course performed well, but to be honest, the S2k was worlds more fun to drive for me. Nothing about the Boxster leaves me wanting to come back for more.

And, virtually every person that has told me they used to own an S, follows it up with "I regret selling that thing", even those that now own a P car.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:12 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonMG
I was bidding on Boxsters, M Roadsters and the S2000. I could have ended up with any of them and I studied/researched the various issues to a neurotic degree. The S's "issues" are much cheaper and quicker to fix. TCT. Valve adjustments in DBW cars. Both the Boxsters and the M Roadsters in the $13-$20K range have much more expensive potential issues, but they're still just a small total percentage.

The IMS is really not a big deal. If it bothers you, it's $2-$3K to pay someone to proactively fix. You should also look up the VIN on LNengineering.com as I've seen some on BaT that had it replaced by an earlier owner and the seller didn't even know.
If it blows up, engine swaps are $6-$10K depending on what you do. The mid mounted engine is not easy to get at. I like working on cars and it was a huge negative for me.

I'm extremely happy with the S2000. I do wonder if I'd fit better in one of the others, given that I'm 6'3. If I replaced my S, it'd probably be with a Z4 hardtop convertible or possibly a SL mercedes.
Sorry guys, but what is a DBW car?
Old 10-04-2018, 03:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreygebhart

Sorry guys, but what is a DBW car?
Drive By Wire. People call the 2006-2009 S2000 cars DBW because the throttle is computer controlled rather than a mechanical throttle found in the earlier models.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:02 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonMG
Drive By Wire. People call the 2006-2009 S2000 cars DBW because the throttle is computer controlled rather than a mechanical throttle found in the earlier models.
Thanks
Old 05-16-2019, 04:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was cross shopping an S2000 and Boxster.

I wanted a low mileage cherry AP2, S... but they are just too expensive and I got a 987.2 BS for about the same money. Want to clarify a couple of things.... for the community. There is a big price delta from 987.1 to 987.2. A base Boxster is still going to outpower an S2000. Boost is cheap on an S2000 though. The Porsche is pretty bullet proof and maintenance really isn't bad. IMS issues can be fixed. Similarly to the AP! vs AP2 debate, the 987.2 is better in every way but the 987.1 is more raw and sounds better due to lacking DFI.

My Boxster got the works pretty quickly.... Ohlins, Bushings, Engine mount, numeric shifter and cables, FVD headers, intake plenum, GT3 throttle body, tune and some other things. I drove it to hang with some buddies who both own AP1's. One of them hated it. There is a maturity factor with him as he relates harsh suspension for better and said his S with no bracing was so much stiffer - It's just not. But both my buddies prefer their AP1. I say this to say focus on the emotional return. At this point there is significant overlap is price.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:02 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I dont know how much my experience will help but here goes.

I was also cross shopping between the S2k, M2 Comp, Porsche Boxster, and a WRX (i know weird last choice).

I did manage to test drive a Boxster and my experience was this.

I enjoyed the car, it had good power, nice low to the ground driving experience, the mid engine aspect was really interesting. Cant really describe it. And it felt pretty cool driving a Porsche. However i walked away from that driving experience taking the car off my list. While it was a cool experience it didnt have the same feeling i got driving the S. Now do be fair i was a bit Biased towards the S as i had already owned one but had to get rid of it. Between the two the S felt more connected, but also a bit scarier.

What also weighed my decision was the fact that this would be my daily driver so there would be a lot of miles adding on to these cars and i was unsure of the reliability of Porsches. Also daily driving a Porsche in an apartment complex just seemed like asking for someone to break in.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The other factor in owning a P-car is the cost of maintenance. If you're handy and have the time and inclination to wrench on your own car, then the differences in maintenance costs will be a bit closer. But if not, the Porsche will be significantly more expensive to maintain over time since the labor and parts costs are significantly more.

And while the IMS bearing issue can be remedied with an L&N bearing, you need to replace them every five years at a cost of at least $3k in many areas to be safe. If you have a high tolerance for risk, you can extend this a bit or take your chances that it won't fail - and odds are you'll be fine. But if you're one of the unlucky one's, replacing the engine will cost you dearly.

Having said that, you can't go wrong with either car. Although if you're getting a Boxster, you may as well consider the Cayman which is one of the gold standards for mid-engine sports cars.

Quick Reply: Have any of you considered purchasing a Boxster or Cayman instead of your S?