S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Have any of you ever considered buying an M Roadster instead of an S2000?

Old 08-15-2018, 10:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A $15k z3 will soon cost you $25k in maintenance. Unless you like working on cars as much as you like driving, get an s2k or another roadster from Japan such as an NC Miata and put a 2.5l in it if you need the power. German cars can be fun but they are built to be maintained, and even the decent z3s are going to be checklists.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I wouod argue against thay statement. Yes, the less miles in general the better. But when trying to buy a good car on a budget, miles can be your friend. For your fixed amount, you will probably be able to get a newer car, in better condition, if you you all but ignore miles.

These cars are known for going 300k+ miles and still running strong. So who cares if you find one with 120k miles vs 60k? If that is going to be the difference between finding one that checks all your other boxes or not, the place I woukd compromise first is miles.
I guess my rebuttal to that is that I'm going to first see if my budget can get me an older MY with lower mileage. I'd like to be under 60,000 miles ideally, and for me the lower the better. I personally would rather buy a 2002 with 60,000 miles than a 2006 with 120,000 miles.

I get the argument going the other way, because I've seen the latter going for less than $10,000 in certain cases which is a great deal, and maybe that car will be just fine and last for a decade. But I've owned a lot of cars past 100,000 miles and there usually is a good amount of maintenance that comes with that, and I'd rather buy one with lower miles since I'm probably only going to put about 5,000 miles per year on the car and I can keep them generally low.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

We have both cars, Z4m and also a s2000.

On paper they may look like comparable cars but in reality it's night / day differences!

To start with the consumables are WAY more costly and just simple maintenance is higher as expected with any German car.

The s2000 feels like a GT3 while the Z4m is more like a heavy touring car. Driving position is way better in the s2000 with perfect visibility however the BMW feels like you are sitting in a coffin as the hood line is way below the driving position. Shifter on the s2000 is also way better than the BMW.
The following users liked this post:
ragtophardtop (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by s4play
We have both cars, Z4m and also a s2000.

On paper they may look like comparable cars but in reality it's night / day differences!

To start with the consumables are WAY more costly and just simple maintenance is higher as expected with any German car.

The s2000 feels like a GT3 while the Z4m is more like a heavy touring car. Driving position is way better in the s2000 with perfect visibility however the BMW feels like you are sitting in a coffin as the hood line is way below the driving position. Shifter on the s2000 is also way better than the BMW.
Hearing that the S is lighter and has a better feel to the transmission isn't surprising, but good to hear! I think the Z3 or Z4 M would be nice to own but given my budget and preferences, the S is a no brainer.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had several M roadsters.... The maintenance is simple and even easier to perform than on an S2000. The only gremlin is the subframe for the rear that needs reinforcement. Don't listen to the maintenance costs.... they are not expensive at all. Less than the S2000 actually.

The cars themselves are very different. An S52 is very close in performance. Am S54 will pull away fast from an S2000 in a drag race.... if that's what you're into. Neither have any meaningful torque but aren't as high strung as the S either although the redline in the S54 is close. Handling.... the S2000 will murder the Z3M in terms of handling. Z3M is very fun to drive but the rear suspension is from the 80's a la E30. Crazy oversteer. The S2000 is a far more balanced car and significantly more capable. Either one is just a hoot but these are the primary differences.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:40 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Euro_Ricer
I've had several M roadsters.... The maintenance is simple and even easier to perform than on an S2000. The only gremlin is the subframe for the rear that needs reinforcement. Don't listen to the maintenance costs.... they are not expensive at all. Less than the S2000 actually.
You forgot to add maintenance frequency into that equation. M roadsters need a lot more TLC and frequent upkeep if you want them in top performance shape and to keep the rattles away. Little things like rubber seat mounts go bad, and then your seat rocks back and forth until you get new ones. All of the rubber on older BMWs is junk. You can get cheap parts, but you get what you pay for and when you add all of the little things up it gets expensive and time consuming quick.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by ragtophardtop
You forgot to add maintenance frequency into that equation. M roadsters need a lot more TLC and frequent upkeep if you want them in top performance shape and to keep the rattles away. Little things like rubber seat mounts go bad, and then your seat rocks back and forth until you get new ones. All of the rubber on older BMWs is junk. You can get cheap parts, but you get what you pay for and when you add all of the little things up it gets expensive and time consuming quick.
None of that is a bog deal to me but I'd also expect this on any 20 year old car...

Oh, I forgot to type this.... There was point when the coupes were trading at (IMO) stupid prices. S54 Roadsters are also going to be a lot more money than the equivalent condition S.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:57 AM

The cars themselves are very different. An S52 is very close in performance. Am S54 will pull away fast from an S2000 in a drag race.... if that's what you're into. Neither have any meaningful torque but aren't as high strung as the S either although the redline in the S54 is close. Handling.... the S2000 will murder the Z3M in terms of handling. Z3M is very fun to drive but the rear suspension is from the 80's a la E30. Crazy oversteer. The S2000 is a far more balanced car and significantly more capable. Either one is just a hoot but these are the primary differences.
I'd love it if the S had more power, but compared to the DD's I've had over the years it will feel pretty quick. The S to me was never a car that you get in and feel like it's very fast from 0-60, I always enjoyed it the most when I downshifted and really took advantage of the longer RPM spectrum. In that light, it has enough power for me.

The ideal drive for me in this car is on a windy road, not getting onto a highway, if that makes sense.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by common reactor
I'd love it if the S had more power, but compared to the DD's I've had over the years it will feel pretty quick. The S to me was never a car that you get in and feel like it's very fast from 0-60, I always enjoyed it the most when I downshifted and really took advantage of the longer RPM spectrum. In that light, it has enough power for me.

The ideal drive for me in this car is on a windy road, not getting onto a highway, if that makes sense.
The S has ample power for that.... Power is cheap nowadays. The S has something (or rather lack there of).... WEIGHT. less weight > power on windy roads. You can add power pretty easily and cheaply on an S. You cannot reduce most any other street car on the market to the S's weight.

Someone will reply miata or BRZ and then we can go through that debate if needed....
Old 08-16-2018, 11:25 AM

The S has ample power for that.... Power is cheap nowadays. The S has something (or rather lack there of).... WEIGHT. less weight > power on windy roads. You can add power pretty easily and cheaply on an S. You cannot reduce most any other street car on the market to the S's weight.

Someone will reply miata or BRZ and then we can go through that debate if needed....
Don't care to know enough about either of those cars so I'm not going to argue that haha. But I get your point and it's a valid one.

Quick Reply: Have any of you ever considered buying an M Roadster instead of an S2000?