S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Here's my story plus questions (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/heres-my-story-plus-questions-9536/)

Tanqueray 03-19-2001 12:16 PM

I have been reading a lot of interesting posts from everyone on the board and thought that I should repay by telling my story.

Once upon a time (last week) my wife owned an '89 Honda Civic with 135,000 miles. It was stalling out and dying every few blocks. Her mother and her boss both suggested that I might want to buy her a new car before something bad happened to her...I am a little dense, as you can tell. Did I mention that my wife is a doctor and I love her dearly? Driving a 12 year old, broken down Civic? I am a *moron* is what I am.

We spent several days pouring over web sites comparing sports cars. She settled on a Toyota MR2 Spyder. I found a dealer that was expecting the exact car that she wanted and bought it. I surprised her with it on Saturday, getting it at MSRP (it is as rare as the S2000, so MSRP is a decent deal), from James McCloud at Tempe Toyota. Wonderful experience, highly recommended to any Toyota fans out there (I dealt with the Fleet/Internet department and spent less than 25 minutes at the dealership total). An MR2 is kind of like a smaller, more feminine S2000...nice power, great handling.

But wait: while looking at all of those cars at Edmunds, Yahoo, etc., I started reading about the S2000. The posts on this forum really gave me a feel for how much everyone here loves their stooks. I had wanted to get an M3 or Boxster in a few years, but the Honda seemed perfect.

After we picked up my wife's car, we went to Honda of Mesa to check out their Spa Yellow. I was expecting the experience to be like the Toyota experience: name a price, get a yes or no, no haggling or bullsh*t. It was not like that --- after 2.5 hours of haggling and my salesman going off to talk to the sales manager and general manager *6* times, they gave me my car at MSRP + 1000. They claim that we are close enough to California that people fly in to get a better deal, driving up prices. By the way, I could have gotten a black/black for MSRP because of the Phoenix sun.

My wife says that I was cruel to the salesman. I think that I was very nice, considering they wanted $3000 over MSRP plus $600 for sealants, protectants and custom pinstriping (there are no pinstripes anywhere on my car!). They finally gave me my price when I was going out the door to my next appointment, at Showcase Honda.

Did I mention that I agreed to buy the car without ever driving it? While they were preparing the paperwork, I drove it for the first time. It was better than I ever, *EVER* thought it would be. I am 6'3", 250lbs, but the car wraps around me like a suit of ultra-quick armor (anyone read Ender's Game?).

I have had the car for almost 48 hours and have 130 miles on it. My top has been down since I left the dealer. I have already experienced the weird, wonderful experience of driving a stook: redneck pickups/SUVs trying to race me, having Camaro drivers nearly run off the road watching my car, cars pulling u-turns to follow me. The neighborhood kids stand on the corner and cheer everytime I drive by!

I have ordered Rick's leather console cover, the well mat, the 1-piece floor mats, and a padded car cover to prevent dings. I removed my visors for improved visibility (it gives me an extra inch at the top of my windshield at my seating angle).

Ok, I have bored you guys enough, but I do have some questions:
1) How do you guys handle the heat during the summer? Put the top up and turn on the air? It was 87 degrees and sunny today, but it was pretty hot with the top down and AC blowing. This might be rough when it is 110 degrees.

2) What's the best way to find a performance shop for the car? The 2 Honda places that I know in Phoenix only do factory work.

3) I was surprised at the insurance. I am 36, have no tickets, no accidents, no nothing, and am paying $750/6 months. Does that seem reasonable?

4) I read the alarm threads. The system of choice was a Clifford with proximity sensor, but I can't find a local store that carries them. DEI/Viper bought Clifford and has a similiar system for about $600. Can anyone comment on Viper quality? I am concerned about the installers screwing up my interior; how hard is it for them to do it right in a stook? Can anyone confirm that you can not add a proximity sensor to the Honda alarm?

Nice to meet you all, and thanks for all of the stories and photos! This is a great community.

Tanq
<insert signature here>

Tex_S2K 03-19-2001 12:57 PM

Congrats on your purchase. Insurance seems high. Do a search and you should find some posts on rates from others. Mine runs about $600 year. As for the heat, hey, it's a ragtop, although the AC does have a setting for "top down". It's a "dry heat" isn't it?

wirejock 03-19-2001 01:29 PM

WOW, long post. Congrats and Welcome! VTEC is yet to come.
Iagree insurance seems high. Mine is less than $500 /6 months. Sometimes area has alot to do with price though.
Course we all know what kind of drivers we are. That's why we bought the hottest little sports car out there right?

CoralDoc 03-19-2001 01:50 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tanqueray
[B]We spent several days pouring over web sites comparing sports cars.

Nin009 03-19-2001 02:22 PM

Congratulations Tanq. I picked my '01 up about six weeks ago. I am up to 550 miles and drooling for the VTEC.

I don

Chiman 03-19-2001 02:40 PM

Congrats!! My answer to your questions
1.) You should be very happy with the weather you got there. Where I live (Seattle WA), it barely got past 50F even in a sunny day today.

2.) Insurance seems high, which company did you use. I am 28, 2 tickets under my belt and only pay $520 for 6 month. (I consider it expensive already)

3.) I have the same question you have and gone some length in trying to tap into the factory alarm. No success so far, but I am going to talk to an installer this weekend to find out if I can tap into the Hoodpin sensor for a Proximity sensor. I think you can add a horn to the factory system also.

John

MARCO A 03-19-2001 02:53 PM

Kinda loooooong, but... good story!
Just want to remember you... do the brake in properly! ;)

2x6spds 03-19-2001 03:08 PM

Nice post, I thought the length was just fine. I sensed from the unstated subtext of your post, your pain. You will have to solve those problems, driving in the heat, insurance, etc., but you'll be driving that MR2. Once the doc gets a dose of that S2000 rush, well, she'll be telling you all about it, and you can tell her how that MR2 puts you in touch with your feminine side.

Good luck, and enjoy that little weasel from Toyota.

2x6spds

Luder94 03-19-2001 03:33 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tanqueray
[B]...but I do have some questions:
1) How do you guys handle the heat during the summer?

SCS2k 03-19-2001 03:49 PM

I sent you a pm. See Mark Basch about performance at Basch Acura Service. My insurance here in Phoenix is $515 every six months. 32 years old, married, doctor, no kids or tickets. Email me if you want some stook info. locally.