S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Honda denied to cover soft-top rip under TSB

Old 08-17-2011, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar deal with me, 06 with 35,xxx. As goodwill, Honda picked up the majority of the tab and I paid ~$400 for a new top installed.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you guys are filing down the bars where the soft top is ripping
Old 08-17-2011, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by saucy2k
Similar deal with me, 06 with 35,xxx. As goodwill, Honda picked up the majority of the tab and I paid ~$400 for a new top installed.
I am in MA, where are you ?

ps. I also have extended 3rd party warranty, but that does not cover soft-top.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless it's still within warranty, the dealer will almost always refuse to do it. It's an expensive job, in Honda terms, and not something they want to take a hit on. TSB's are not necessarily required either, but a good owner, while still in warranty, should always check for them and make sure they are applied. Dealer's will do a TSB while in warranty since they can charge Honda corporate for it as warranty work.

Get some patches and fix it up. A few years down the road, get a replacement top or hardtop and call it a day =D.

Thanks for spreading the information!
Old 08-17-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Reckon
Unless it's still within warranty, the dealer will almost always refuse to do it. It's an expensive job, in Honda terms, and not something they want to take a hit on. TSB's are not necessarily required either, but a good owner, while still in warranty, should always check for them and make sure they are applied. Dealer's will do a TSB while in warranty since they can charge Honda corporate for it as warranty work.

Get some patches and fix it up. A few years down the road, get a replacement top or hardtop and call it a day =D.

yeah, but there is a note on TSB: If car is out of warranty it CAN still be covered. (and you can understand why.....its a defect that Honda made, and they know it, so why shouldnt they cover it)
Old 08-17-2011, 09:37 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by kolyan2k
Originally Posted by Reckon' timestamp='1313586019' post='20885922

yeah, but there is a note on TSB: If car is out of warranty it CAN still be covered. (and you can understand why.....its a defect that Honda made, and they know it, so why shouldnt they cover it)
Honda may do it out of goodwill. In order for them to do that your dealership needs to put in a good word for you. Even when goodwill consideration if offered, Honda may offer to pay for only part of the repair and expect you to pay the rest. Based on what I have heard and own personal experience Honda will offer to pay between 80-90% of the cost. There have been instances where the entire repair was fully covered and also several instances where they refused to carry out the repair.

I suggest you do what Reckon has said and patch up your softtop while continuing to seek assistance from Honda. Do not under any circumstances loose your cool with the Honda rep or the dealer personnel no matter how rude or crude they behave with you.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by aashish2
Originally Posted by kolyan2k' timestamp='1313600080' post='20886761
[quote name='Reckon' timestamp='1313586019' post='20885922']

Honda may do it out of goodwill. In order for them to do that your dealership needs to put in a good word for you. Even when goodwill consideration if offered, Honda may offer to pay for only part of the repair and expect you to pay the rest. Based on what I have heard and own personal experience Honda will offer to pay between 80-90% of the cost. There have been instances where the entire repair was fully covered and also several instances where they refused to carry out the repair.

I suggest you do what Reckon has said and patch up your softtop while continuing to seek assistance from Honda. Do not under any circumstances loose your cool with the Honda rep or the dealer personnel no matter how rude or crude they behave with you.
[/quote]

the patch on the car has been there for a long time. previous owner didnt know there is a TSB and patched it. I called Honda....will see what happens. Previously Honda wasn't able to assist when dealer put GL4 oil in LSD and said its all good despite Honda manual
Old 08-17-2011, 08:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems in this case the dealer doesn't think Honda will cover it, and they're probably right.

Have you ever thrown business at Honda or the dealer? That will be a factor.

But, this is not the end of the world. A new top is less than $800 and can be installed with hand tools and a $20 rivet gun in 8 hours. I wrote a DIY stickied in the UTH forum btw.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:58 PM

Mine began to tear on the inside almost 2 years after the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty on my 06. Dealership said no, then after some talks, they called me up two weeks later and said they could cover 30% out of goodwill. I turned that down. The tear never made it through, so I bought some foam pipe insulation, zip tied it to the mechanism that tears, so it doesn't hit the top anymore, put a piece of black duct tape over the scratched area for insurance, did the driver's side just to be safe, and have no problems. As long as I keep replacing the foam piping every couple of years, because it eventually gets cut through by the sharp edge, I'm good to go for a while. If it does tear, I'll sew it up, put a patch on inside, only drive top down with soft top, and use the hard top more often.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:04 AM

After talks, Honda also said no.

Frustrated with Honda overall....not this situation...but they screwed with me 3-4 times before. Somehow never had problems with BMW dealer....even none warranty items got fixed or replaced for free.

ps. yeah my wife has new Honda Civic, so we have brought Honda some business. When I wanted to purchase new Accord, idiots in sales never returned my calls and I wasn't even able to set up a test drive....I ended up buying Audi back then (and I thank Honda sales for that, Accord would have been a huge mistake)

also decided to change the top after the winter, no reason to do it now.