S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Honda parts - the good, the bad and the ugly

Old 01-20-2001, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an unusual experience with my 1987 Legend yesterday. While leaning out the window to pick up my mail and with my foot on the brake, suddenly I could feel the hydraulic system let go. Upon inspection I discovered a puddle of brake fluid about 2 inches to the inside of the passenger front wheel.
The Legend has a double jointed rubber brakeline that runs from its tie in to the rigid line at the firewall. It's a long line that bolts in two places to the suspension. Looks highly over-engineered. This brakeline blew out under almost no pressure at one of its joints. To make it interesting to S2K owners is the fact that I just looked at my S2K and we have the same (looks pretty identical) brakeline as my Legend. Now I've got a lot of respect for Honda parts and I've also been playing around with Japanese and German cars for 30 years and seen all sorts of things happen with hydraulic brake systems but this is a new one on me. Having a brake line blow out and not even under heavy braking is a bit intimidating to me. I mentioned this to my Acura parts guy and he said he's seen that happen with Legends. Anybody ever have a similar experience? Are the stainless steel brakelines one continuous run so as to eliminate the joints that the rubber line uses?
BTW at the time that this happened, I was nursing home the Legend which had 24 hours before developed a leak in its hydraulic (yes again) slave (release) cylinder. In so far as this could also happen to a S2K, if ever your clutch pedal doesn't return, it's probably the slave cylinder that went. You can still work the clutch (maybe) for a while by getting your left foot under the pedal and lifting. This will engage the gear. Sometimes you're not that lucky if the slave clinder went in a way so that it doesn't give you any pressure on the clutch armature and you'll know it because you won't get any pressure when you depress the pedal and won't be able to get a gear.
------------------------------------------------------------JO and the sleeping S2K (more snow yesterday,today and tomorrow but at least I've got electricity)
Old 01-20-2001, 04:34 AM

Jo, you're driving a 13-14 year old vehicle there. I don't think it's unreasonable that you are starting to have some problems regardless of the maintenance history.
Old 01-20-2001, 05:28 AM

Of course! I'm well use to maintenance as I have a couple of 30-40 year old Porsches and a couple of BMWs that I've put nearly 400,000 miles on. I've done all my own maintnance and rebuilding and haven't left a car at the dealer in 30 years. A Legend with 135,000 miles on it is a young dog in my kennel. BTW the car looks showroom. No rust and well maintained. I've just never seen this before and it's a bit scary how it happened.
------------------------------------------------------------JO