S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Honda S2000 Definitely Never Coming Back, Honda Exec Says

Old 01-31-2018, 08:28 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

I always answer this topic with a "it's highly doubtful we'll see another naturally-aspirated S car" type answer. But if I'm going to be completely honest I would place myself in the "never say never" camp. The reason being that in 2010 Honda produced a motorcycle that no one thought they would see: the CB1100. It was Honda's first all new air-cooled engine in over twenty years. It's a full on retro machine that was designed and built pretty much from scratch with an old school steel double cradle frame, twin rear shocks, etc. The bike was built to celebrate Honda's motorcycle heritage and the CB line of motorcycles in particular. I highly doubt that Honda makes money on this bike as it sells in very low numbers and they don't seem too concerned about it as they've hardly marketed it at all here in the States (they finally began importing it here in 2013). Yet here we are now 8 years later and they are still producing and selling this bike. Every once in a while it seems that Honda does something just because they can and want to show off their engineering resources (building an air-cooled engines that was designed to pass Euro 4 regulations which hadn't yet gone into effect when the bike was first released was no small accomplishment).

Most consumers dismiss the CB1100 not only because of it's retro build and lack of many modern features that so many expect these days, but also because it simply doesn't produce the typical amount of horsepower now associated with engines of similar displacement. But Honda stated up front that this wasn't a concern, nor a goal for them (it's still faster than most modern cars, but it's not fast by modern motorcycle standards). I'd imagine that Honda would need to have a similar focus and to be willing to face somewhat similar criticisms once again were they to produce a new naturally-aspirated engine for a modern S car. I'd also imagine that developing and building a new car costs considerably more than a motorcycle, but I don't know that I would ever totally count Honda out when it comes to something like this.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:43 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

All of this makes me think that there is going to be a lot of upward pressure on the price that a good solid s2k will bring on the used car market. That is part of the reason I decided to take the plunge and buy a second S2k now, planning for my likely desire to get a "new" s2k when I retire in 5-6 years.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:09 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would also say im in the never say never camp. I mean there was tons of info passed along from honda execs that there was no Civic Type R coming to the U.S. and here we are with a new Type R available in the U.S.. I doubt if a new S2000 or w/e its called makes a come back it will not be nearly as raw as the original, but aging car enthusiasts may appreciate some of the added creature comforts and assists that would come with it.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:13 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

If you read between the lines, the article where Honda says never say never, it reads a lot like what you'd expect if they were trying to keep things under wraps. If the new car was not going to be like the old one, n/a, basic interior, etc.

The only thing they flatly denied was no plans for an introduction (what does that mean, like there is a new car, but we haven't planned its coming out party yet?), and no way a new car would be like the old S.

If the only way we can gey a new S is if its got forced induction (but has effective strategies to mitigate lag down to near zero), and a more feature rich interior, an auto option, then so be it. Better than no S at all.

So long as its not a soulless lump like the new nsx. That would be worse than no new S.

Also worse would be too many economical compromises. A strut suspension for example, or a porky curb weight.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:35 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

If every car company said that, all they're ever produce are those stupid SUV/CUV's which "everyone" wants to own and trucks, netting them thicker profits. Who the **** needs AWD all the time? Even in south western Ontario, we only get about 10 days a year where AWD would maybe be necessary. Just buy winter tires, and enjoy easier maintenance, lighter vehicle, better mileage, blah, blah, blah.

ok, but that's not the topic. An exec can't predict what the company is going to do long term- get someone new in, and plans change. I think its critical for a company to produce a halo car, that creates excitement for the brand. Ok, so only a small fraction of the public will actually buy it- but the owner of a Honda sports car for example, will also likely put a Honda daily car in the driveway as well- (s2000 and a civic or NSX and a TypeR for eg.).

Wanna know why I've never considered Toyota after the Supra, Celica all trac, new Celica, MR2 disappeared? Because for 15+ years they had nothing fun and interesting in their stable until...the FRS. Its interestingish and says that maybe Toyota is on the road to recovering the enthusiast market. The bonkers LFA was insanity...and they lost money on them. So what? It made me take notice that there is someone in Toyota's glass palace with a soul. Note that the sports cars will live on for manufacturers when they join and cost share (mazda/Fiat, Subaru/Toyota, Toyota/BMW(?))
BMW and Audi have lost it and I'm bored of them- at the auto show this year I barely looked over their booths that I used to spend 30-45 minutes at in the previous 2 decades of going to NAIAS.

So, back on track- manufacturers need to continue to produce fun and interesting vehicles to enhance their credibility with the enthusiast market. Cars don't have to be practical, but they have to be engaging and fun to drive. No one talks about how awesome their washing machine or other appliance is- but they sure do talk about the guy down the street who just bought that corvette, mustang, hell cat, whatever. That branding is critical and brings bodies into the show room to dream.

darcy

Last edited by darcyw; 01-31-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:18 AM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

To the moooonnnn :P (like bitcoin haha)

Honda S2000 Definitely Never Coming Back, Honda Exec Says-upumux8.jpg
Old 02-01-2018, 10:00 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

I suspect we're all too emotionally close to the S2000. We could have easily bought a Miata -- but didn't.

The Miata platform (tooling, assembly line, etc.) exists and R&D was paid for years ago so it's easy to create "Fiats" and "Alfas" on it with minimal R&D (mainly styling) dollars and minimal changes for the assembly robots to make. Slap a Fiat engine and change some Miata badges out and ya got a Fiat. The FRS/BRZ pair is an other easy example with badges, minor sheet metal, etc. Two different car companies using the same basic car. Who is Honda going to share with? -- a corporate embarrassment in some respects.

Existing platforms are also the reason we get things like the Civic R which other than hideous styling and a fixed roof is my guess to all we're gonna get. Not sure how much Honda Inc. makes on each Civic R. Sometimes a company has to have a car to attract folks to the brand.

-- Chuck
Old 02-01-2018, 11:31 AM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

It will be replaced with this...

Light electric car at <3000 lbs, equivalent to 500 whp/tq, Rwd, handling suspension and chassis balance like original S2000... jk ;P

Old 02-05-2018, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And to really put the Nail on the coffin look what Honda did one decade later after S2000's and Type R Integras .
They wanted to move you into their next brilliant idea

Did they channel the AMC Pacer for inspiration?
Old 02-14-2018, 05:37 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverstreak HX
And to really put the Nail on the coffin look what Honda did one decade later after S2000's and Type R Integras .
They wanted to move you into their next brilliant idea

Did they channel the AMC Pacer for inspiration?
Well said! Were I in the market for a new car now there's only one car that Honda/Acura makes that I would even consider: the Civic Si ( I know that the Civic R is a good car, but I'd have to look at it when I'm walking up to drive it). Nothing else at any price, and that includes the new NSX (good car, but there are better cars available for the same money). Your last comment is taking an unfair shot at the Pacer!

Last edited by jeffreygebhart; 02-14-2018 at 05:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Honda S2000 Definitely Never Coming Back, Honda Exec Says