S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hood latch area squeaking over bumps at low speed

Old 09-23-2009, 08:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Hood latch area squeaking over bumps at low speed

My car has been like this pretty much from the beginning and I've overlooked it. But I just can't stand it anymore. When I'm driving at low speed like in a parking lot with bumpy undulations, the car makes annoying squeaks. It seems like the noise is coming from the hood latch area. When I park the car and press down on the hood, I can sometimes reproduce the squeak sound and it seems to be located somewhere under the middle front of the hood. When I open the hood and look at the "U" bracket that holds the hood down into the latch when it is closed, part of the "U" is missing paint and worn down to the metal. Perhaps this is where the rubbing between the "U" bracket and the metal latch occurs over bumps.

Does anyone else have this problem? I'm thinking maybe a very thin but durable adhesive could be wrapped around the part of the "U" bracket that rubs against the latch, so that the latch would rub against this adhesive instead of the metal "U".
Old 09-23-2009, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your problem is exactly the same as mine. I fixed it by greasing the latch and then adjusting it. You also adjust the rubber stops so it fits flush. This has fixed my sqeaking problem.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not try and shi-etsu grease the u shaped metal bracket. If that doesn't work out then look into replacing the hood latch with a new one. The assembly should be less than $100...Don't know for sure though, so don't quote me on that.

Good luck!
Old 09-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I spray the assembly every once in a while with silicon spray and it stops it for a little while.

I've also read that spraying white lithium grease on it takes care of it for a long time. That is simply masking the problem though, obviously.

I havent bothered to "fix" it. I rarely hear it because I always have music playing.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Yes I have used the white lithium grease on there as well. After it coming back I just decided to adjust the latch and it latches quite solidly now and don't seem to have an issue with the squeak anymore.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:07 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Resurrecting because this thread was extremely helpful to me. I had a squeak I just could not place. From the driver seat it sounded like something in the dash behind the steering wheel. From the passenger seat it sounded like something from the engine bay. Lithium grease on the hood latch assembly to the rescue. Now all I hear is the rumbling of a V8
The following users liked this post:
SkidPad (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 12:46 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Honda recommends lithium dielectric grease on the latch. They sell little bitty tubs of it in their parts departments.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:02 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I think the key is to adjust the hood latching mechanism, including the rubber bumpers, correctly according to the shop manual. When the hood is adjust correctly there is no movement possible and it does not squeak.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i had this problem till i lathered it in grease. put a real thick coat on lol, its been good for like 3 years. light applications did nothing for me
Old 05-29-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am going to try this. If this is the squeak I have been hearing for the past couple of years, I am going to be SOOOOOOOO mad at myself.

Quick Reply: Hood latch area squeaking over bumps at low speed