S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

(Hopefully) minor accident

Old 03-29-2019, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

impatient drivers, that chaps my ass
Old 03-29-2019, 04:13 PM

Received 1,305 Likes on 987 Posts

Shocked cop didn't cite him for being on the phone. Thats illegal in most places, and cause of many distracted driving incidents. You'd think cops would make that enforcement a priority.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Customer just hydro locked a motor when it was raining a couple days ago. 2006 AP2 complete insurance job was quoted at $9200. Insurance company has authorized work and did not total the car. You should be good.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:03 AM
TBK

Shocked cop didn't cite him for being on the phone. Thats illegal in most places
It is here. Illinois is a handsfree state. And lots of people ignore it, as I'm sure they ignore it everywhere. I'm assuming the cop cut him a break. The improper lane usage should establish fault. He's a kid and kids sometime make bad choices. I can't be really mad at him, who didn't do something stupid when they were 20? I've got a whole list of my mistakes.

2006 AP2 complete insurance job was quoted at $9200.
I guess I never said what year my car is. Its a 2008 with just over 50k miles. The closest auto trader has within 250 mines of me is a 2005 with 40k miles for $24,900. Lots of '01-04 with 100k plus for 9-10k. But thats not what I have/want. I am assuming that the lady that owned it before me never drove it in snow/bad weather, and I sure never have. Had it aligned before i put it up for the winter and the mechanic commented on how clean and rust-free the underside was.

I talked to my agent yesterday afternoon and state farm still hasn't made any movement on my claim. The body shop owner said they'd made room inside the shop and moved it inside so it didn't have to sit outside in their fenced storage lot, which made me happy...
Old 03-30-2019, 03:25 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

250 miles from your location? I live near Sacramento and found my 2009 in Phoenix. When I search and actually find something close to what I have (bought it at 30K miles, now have 69K) It is north of $24K.

I don't think distance is all that important for a search of a relatively rare car, especially like yours and mine which are stock and in pretty nice shape.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:31 PM
Former Sponsor

You should be able to get a rent a car and explain to them that you don't have time for your car to be held up like this. If they plan to take longer you will need to get a rent a car at there expense
Old 03-30-2019, 05:41 PM
TBK

250 miles from your location?
Yeah, I. live in central Illinois - Peoria. There's not a lot around here. Always several in the Chicago area, but usually higher milage AP1s.
I live near Sacramento and found my 2009 in Phoenix.
When I bought mine three years and a month ago, it was between this 08 in Indy at a Honda dealer, and a private sale 09 in Pittsburg, also NFR. After a couple weeks of talking to the dealer via text and telephone I drove to Indy to see it in person (had to wait for them to havre a new top installed). After three hours of negotiating, we were $1,500 above what I had set as my top limit, and still $1,000 apart. Decided to abandon it and drive home. Made a pit stop on my way out of the dealer before the three hour drive home and when I came out the sales lady said I "HAD to come meet the general manager, he needed to talk to me." He said "It's the last day of the month and I need to make the goal for the month, I'll flip a quarter and if you call it, I'll give you the $1,000"

I drove it home.....

I don't think distance is all that important for a search of a relatively rare car
No, but in the quick auto trader search I ran the other night, I think 250 miles is the farthest they let you search. Beyond that I have to start using random cities as the base. I don't think I'm to that point yet. I am still hoping that the insurance company will get it fixed.

If they plan to take longer you will need to get a rent a car at there expense
I have rental coverage. Not sure what they'd say about it, since I still have the daily driver. I was supposed to take a road trip in two weeks with my fellow "Old Guyz with Convertibles" but I don't think my CRV is going to be able to keep up with the BMW Z3 and Jag XK8 on the corners. I may need to see about recouping my expenses for a trip I'm not going to be able to make.....
Old 03-30-2019, 07:12 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Other than choosing Hagerty to insure the S2000 I've had State Farm Insurance for everything else for decades now. There might be cheaper options out there but on those occasions when State Farm has been needed for a claim (auto, home, etc.) they've always done right by me. I hope when all is said and done that they do right by you and that your S is fixed to your satisfaction. By the way, I grew up about 70 miles from Peoria in the small town of Pontiac.
The following users liked this post:
john d (04-17-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 10:37 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

If someone hasn't mentioned it already ........diminished value.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:35 PM
TBK

I grew up about 70 miles from Peoria in the small town of Pontiac.
I know Pontiac well, we head up that way at least once a year to drive Route 66 from Pontiac to Springfield. A fun little drive seeing all the 50's style road-side attractions in the little towns along the way and a nice day drive.

So, insurance finally today decided to proceed with the repair. However, one of the things that was specified was the "front right knee assembly." Which I guess is pretty much the entire front right suspension, control arms, etc. Body shop says that the insurance adjuster specified used parts, and the only one they could find was from a 2005 with 130,000 miles. I am not wild about this. That strikes me as worn out. Also, is the part the same across the all the AP2 years? I understood Honda made suspension adjustments pretty much each year..... I confirmed with the dealer that they can get new pretty much any suspension parts needed, the only reason to use used is to save the insurer money. Would there be an issue (aside from me not wanting high milage used parts) using this part?

diminished value.
Yeah, well, it would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath as hard as I've had to fight to get to this point......

Quick Reply: (Hopefully) minor accident