S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How did you convince your significant other that buying an S2000 was a good idea?

Old 02-23-2018, 06:33 AM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
My wife was on board as far as getting rid of the prius, which was my daily, and getting a new car. So, I just kind of mentioned one evening that instead of spending all the money on a new car this time, I was going to buy an older very low mileage used Honda for a lot less. No worries.

I came home with my first S.
Reminds me of a really old Subaru commercial. Father and son working on their farm. Dad gives son their old Subaru Brat to trade in on a new car. Says Subaru has always been good to him. Son comes home barrelling down the dirt road in some sporty two door. Father says, Son, I thought we agreed you'd get a Subaru.

Son replies, but Dad, I did.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:12 AM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by common reactor
In my opinion, this is the time to do this. But my money is also her money, and when I mentioned buying even an older one (higher miles, whatever) for $10,000-$12,000, it didn't go well. We haven't bought a house yet because we're waiting until we're married, but buying another car isn't going to change our budget or timeframe on that.
Thanks
Married for 34 years. You are describing issues that should be addressed or at least recognize that are going to continue in your relationship. Right now it is your money. You are not married, yet. You did not go into details as to "why" it did not go well. I can tell you based on what you are saying, the likelihood of you getting one after you are married is unlikely. Perhaps you need to state, without emotion, why you want to do this. She should be able to articulate why, without emotion, she feels you should not spend the money (or have the car as money is not appearing to be the real issue here, control over you does) This is a good time to get things worked out and improve your relationship for the future AND get a nice car. Communication is key and this just may reveal characteristics in both of you that have been hidden or ignored. Get to the bottom of this now.
Marriage is hard work but rewarding. Get the car.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:27 PM
Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

You didn't really say she has a problem with it or would have a problem with it in the original post.
You have little debt and are comfortable with money. You are having kids in 2+ years. It won't change housing plans.
I don't see any reason why you shouldn't buy it if money really isn't an issue. YOLO!

AP1 and AP2 Clear Headlight Diffusers!!! - Clear out your S2000 headlights!
LED Conversions for all S2000 lights
Keyhole Covers - Get the Shaved look
Oil Drain Valve - Easiest Oil Change ever!
_________
For LEDs for your other cars, head to our new website: SupernovaLEDs.com. Same great quality, easy-to-use website. Pick your car, we'll show you what fits.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:34 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Just buy it and bring it home without telling her. What is she going to do, call off the wedding?? The S is worth every argument it can cause with a significant other IMO.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:13 PM

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

My baby told me "You only live once, you work hard and you can afford it." Then she called around and found a brand new one in a dealership. We went out to see it the next day and I bought it off the showroom floor, picked it up and drove it home the very next day.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:27 PM

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,443 Posts

I never discussed it with my wife, I just bought the car and brought it home. I figured it was easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. My wife and I were married for 15 plus years at the time, one young child. My wife and I still laugh about it to this day, it makes for good conversations with our friends when my wife tells them the story of me rolling into the garage with a new car and I describe the look on her face, lol.

Last edited by zeroptzero; 02-23-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:28 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by eight
Just buy it and bring it home without telling her. What is she going to do, call off the wedding?? The S is worth every argument it can cause with a significant other IMO.
This is REALLY stupid.

If I was engaged to a woman who went off & bought a $10,000+ toy without discussing it with me (which is what an S2000 is), I'm 100% ending things. I sincerely feel bad for any woman you ever date.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:52 PM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Not to be that guy, but just live a little. You have the money, spend it and enjoy your life. What good is that money doing in the bank account?

It's like a $10-$15k purchase nowadays. In this day, that's pretty much nothing. Once you buy a house, that's as much as a new kitchen. You're not buying a 100k Porsche.

If you're really dying for one, sell your Altima. The S is a great daily driver and more reliable than almost anything on the road. Before I bought the S, I had a pretty uncontrollable addiction to the car. I couldn't imagine not driving it. If I was about to marry someone that wouldn't support that I wouldn't marry them.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:24 PM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

I found it is easiest to marry someone that already owns an s2000.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:12 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I never discussed it with my wife, I just bought the car and brought it home. I figured it was easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. My wife and I were married for 15 plus years at the time, one young child. My wife and I still laugh about it to this day, it makes for good conversations with our friends when my wife tells them the story of me rolling into the garage with a new car and I describe the look on her face, lol.
YES!!! haha exactly.

Quick Reply: How did you convince your significant other that buying an S2000 was a good idea?