S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How many of you would NOT have bought the S2k if it was a front wheel drive?

Old 06-06-2003, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you would NOT have bought the S2k if it was a front wheel drive?

I'm dead serious with this question. I searched for over a year for a car that I could afford, fit in, and was correctly (read rwd) powered. Tough to find let me tell you. Front wheel drive is pandemic.

Part two of the question: Among those of you that answered that they would not have even considered buying it if it were front wheel drive, how many have issues with "snap oversteer" or "tail-happy".

Thanks. Doing an article for "Old Farts" magazine.

Old 06-06-2003, 06:20 AM

I would never own a front wheel drive car! JMHO

OG
Old 06-06-2003, 06:34 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

I currently own 4 vehicles and all are rear wheel drive. I have never had a problem with snap oversteer and tail happy is a fun thing that's why they call it happy.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:44 AM

We never would have even considered this car if it weren't RWD. My wife has never owned an FWD and didn't want to start now. OTOH, we did get a 6 SP Accord this year and like it so far. No way it compares to the S however.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:05 AM

I suspect I would have considered it, but the dynamics of the car would have been all different and could not have been as entertaining to me to drive.............and I have no problems with "tail happy" or snap oversteer issues...............this car is as well planted as any I have owned..................even the ones I modified to get them there................

As far as rear wheel drive being the way to go in a performance car, Lotus learned that lesson a few years ago with the Elan.............

greybeard
Old 06-06-2003, 07:05 AM
Administrator

No f'in way.

My last car was a Prelude...different animal completely. I grew up driving RWD muscle cars and won't ever buy a sports car that wasn't rear (or all) wheel driven. There's a reason there are no FWD Porsches or Ferraris
Old 06-06-2003, 07:19 AM

Two criteria for me when considering a car.

1. It must be RWD (or AWD.)
2. It must have a manual transmission.

No snap oversteer issues here. As long as you don't drive beyond your own limits, it should never be a problem.

Dave
Old 06-06-2003, 07:33 AM

Ya know, I don't think I even thought about it. I've always driven FWD cars but have wanted an S for years. Now that I've been driving it, I don't think I'll ever go back. RWD just makes this car perfect! So much fun to drive!
Old 06-06-2003, 07:36 AM
God

I used to have a prelude.... I liked it. Best FWD ever made I suppose but it still was only "good for a FWD"

I had a WRX and My S2000... I think it will be AWD or RWD from now on, unless I need a daily driving civic or something.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:39 AM

I, too, would not have bought the S2000 if it was FWD. I have nothing against FWD in most cars, and find it perfectly fine and satisfactory for 90% of my driving. But the S2000 is a performance car, and moreover, a roadster, so RWD is the way to go.

I have oversteered and spun out my S2000 before, but that's more an issue with me, the driver, than with the car. If you're not careful, you can spin out FWD and RWD cars alike, and if you're careful, you can keep them both under control.

Quick Reply: How many of you would NOT have bought the S2k if it was a front wheel drive?