S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   How paranoid or confident are you driving in rain? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/how-paranoid-confident-you-driving-rain-241154/)

CeleSaga83 10-08-2004 02:24 PM

How paranoid or confident are you driving in rain?

i love my car.. but can be a big hastle in rain... for winter i've got winter tires... so snow is no biggie.. but during summer... driving on highway in rain scares me.... sometimes i just take local even if it takes me more time... i would like to know everyone opinion or experience on highway with rain... thanks.....

R11 10-08-2004 02:38 PM

I really think the issues are overblown. If you keep the RPM's down and don't push it on turns you should be fine. Anything that might cause you to break traction. Just remember to take it extra easy when it first rains after a dry spell because of the oil buildup on the road. And of course watch out for deeper standing water. But those are things that you should do in any car though.

ron (in Portland where it rains all winter)

xviper 10-08-2004 02:40 PM

I've never had any hesitation about driving at speed in the rain. However, I do understand at all times, the condition of my tire treads, their inflation and I know how to handle going through the ocassional standing pool of water. I always adjust my driving parameters based on all the available information at the time. When in doubt, I slow down.

mikegarrison 10-08-2004 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Oct 8 2004, 03:40 PM
I've never had any hesitation about driving at speed in the rain.

You know, I didn't either. Right up until the point where I hydroplaned into a wall at 80mph+ (on the track). I have to say, that modified my thinking on the subject a bit. I still drive when it is raining (no choice about that in Seattle!) but I give the conditions a little more respect than I used to.

CeleSaga83 10-08-2004 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Oct 8 2004, 02:45 PM
You know, I didn't either. Right up until the point where I hydroplaned into a wall at 80mph+ (on the track). I have to say, that modified my thinking on the subject a bit. I still drive when it is raining (no choice about that in Seattle!) but I give the conditions a little more respect than I used to.

agreed here... i've spun out on rain.. almost hit couple cars in past.....
i consider myself as a pretty cautious driver... but it bugs me that i would have to constantly drive in horror of my past experience when it rains...

mav 10-08-2004 02:51 PM

As long as you respect Mother Nature, you shouldn't be scared.

dut 10-08-2004 02:51 PM

- rain, whats that? :thinker:

:p

mikegarrison 10-08-2004 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by dut,Oct 8 2004, 03:51 PM
- rain, whats that? :thinker:

:p

Wildfire that burns right down into the city, what's that?

-Mike (FL has hurricanes but we have an erupting volcano....)

DustySlider 10-08-2004 03:07 PM

I granny-drive in the rain. Keep it under 55mph.

DOUGHS2K 10-08-2004 03:17 PM

I got scared shitless but that was becuase I just bought my S and the two rear tires were bald and I was doing about 70 down the highway when it just started pouring.

Tires replaced but I am still cautious.