S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   How to sell a Honda s2000 - low baller’s strategy (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/how-sell-honda-s2000-low-baller%E2%80%99s-strategy-811878/)

chilihook 08-24-2010 08:52 AM

Sorry to hear you had such a tough time selling your car!

I have been in the process of trying to sell a car as a project car for about 4 months now; everything clearly stated in the ad and online as to what shape the car's in and what it needs to be right. I'm asking a price for the car that you couldn't even by the tires alone for independent of the car and people would still offer me 1/4 what I was asking. It's pretty insulting. Either that or they don't read the ad and ask if the car could make a 700 mile trip to avoid shipping costs. Really?

Did you replace your S2k with something else?

Rubn1out4GudLuk 08-24-2010 09:38 AM

I like this thread...You don't hand anything over until you get all the money!!!

How about one of these replies from Craigslist,

"Would you be interested in some tattoo art time for your product?"

Fawk off, If I wanted some tattoo time I'd go to my own guy!!!

Then I had another guy that wanted to try and fit my wheels I had for sale on his truck because he wanted to go from an 8 in. wide wheel to a 9 in. wide wheel with a similar offset. Didn't want to buy them just test fit them for his own experimental purposes.

Freakin' Craigslist Goobers!!! :rolleyes:

ksoazn 08-24-2010 09:40 AM

Cash up front and take the car

rob-2 08-24-2010 10:02 AM

I don't think you did this right, you're in the drivers seat on the sale of a car and you don't have to do anything you don't want.

Every time I've sold a car I've geared the ad to a mature buyer, speak to what they're looking for prior to even visiting me. Only one person ever sees the car I'm selling and they pay what I'm asking. The last 3 cars I've sold I got near dealer pricing, but private sale.

Buyer walks away with a mint car, because I'm anal and I get what the car is worth.

Change your tactics next time so you get more and don't deal with a-holes. It sounds like from the tone in your writing you 'had to get rid of the car'. If I am ever asked 'why are you getting rid of this car?' I always answer with something along the lines 'Get rid? Nah, I just have too many toys, figured if the price is right I'll sell her, otherwise my wife could use this to haul....'

Once you show your motivation is low you cannot be pressured into moving on the price.

nick123 08-24-2010 11:59 AM

I wouldn't want to sell to someone who was trying to nickel and dime me. They'd be the same person calling you after the sale is done demanding their money back.

Have you tried carmax? It's a no hassle Offer and I'm sure our cars will get a fair offer

Kid Ap2000 08-24-2010 12:35 PM

Cash only cash only cash only cash only !!!!!!

slalom44 08-24-2010 01:12 PM

If a buyer pays a penny more than he has to, he overpaid. Let's face it - a buyer doesn't want to pay extra just to have a happy seller. He wants to get the car for as little as possible. You shouldn't be mad at him for trying to determine exactly what is your bottom line.

That's how the business world works. Sellers try to maximize profit and buyers try to minimize cost. With a private car sale, you don't get brownie points for having a happy seller. :tipwink:

ltswb 08-24-2010 01:30 PM

Sorry, but I would have put his ass out of the car on the street corner when he made the spare key comments. If we are on the way to the bank, then negotiations are over. If you don't like it, then get the hell out.

FatfreeS2k 08-24-2010 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by nick123,Aug 24 2010, 11:59 AM

Have you tried carmax? It's a no hassle Offer and I'm sure our cars will get a fair offer

I tried carmax once just to see what it was about and a friend also did the same and boy are they a rip off. It was actually insulting, I wouldn't recommend anyone go to carmax your just wasting your time. I spent an hour there just to get a worse lowball offer then I ever would off of craigslist etc.

drmthtr59 08-24-2010 02:10 PM

Sorry to hear. When I sold my 240sx I blantly advertised it for 4000 (just a figure) and if the buyer shows up with 3999 I told the buyer to go home and get that missing dollar. I also mention that if the buyer finds a car that is cheaper than my listed price then go and get that cheaper car. The seller controls deal if the price of the car is right/fair. Business is business but theres not business when the other party has no funds.