S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How soon should I buy??

Old 12-22-2000, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to the board, but've been reading all your posts for a few weeks now. People seem to know a HELL of a lot more about this car than I expected. I love how drunk an' horny people seem over this car...(I'm not the only one...) My question is when should I buy it. I know as soon as possible is best...but I was thinking I'd give my '86 Camry one last winter, let it die, and get the S2K around April, so that I could break it in with decent weather. Do any of you think I'd lose the chance to get one? Will there be a 2002 model year to your knowledge?
Old 12-22-2000, 10:43 PM

If my experience is any indication, you'll find the best prices DURING the winter. As it get's sunny, I'm sure dealers will be asking a premium again.

I'm not sure how comfortable you're financially comfortable doing so (and if it snows in your area) but maybe you can buy the S2k, keep both and dump the Camry after the winter.

Me, this is my winter (rain) car.
Old 12-22-2000, 11:05 PM

similar delima here.. 'cept mine involves the financial. i could get it now.. and live off ramen soup till my next (fingers crossed)raise. or wait 5months and get it when the payments will be lower and hopefully my salary will be a little more.

i've pretty much decided to wait.. but i'm going to the dealership tommorrow anyway.. i guess to torture myself and take pictures of the stook that could of been.
Old 12-22-2000, 11:18 PM

Insom, I know your pain. I'm 22 and in my first "real job" and about to buy my first car. This'll be it. Daily driver in Chicago might get tough in blizzards, but who cares?!?!?!? Plus, I'd rather not skip meals to make payments...

similar delima here.. 'cept mine involves the financial.......i've pretty much decided to wait.. but i'm going to the dealership tommorrow anyway.. i guess to torture myself and take pictures of the stook that could of been.

Old 12-22-2000, 11:30 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rahvis:
[B]Insom, I know your pain.
Old 12-23-2000, 03:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For you young guys I can only cheer you on. After six months in an Opel Kadette when I was 22 and starting my first job, I went out and bought a new E-type (then only $4,500, if you can believe it -- but that was more than half my annual salary at the time). It was a blast. I could barely afford it, but I was single, footloose, and fancy free. I learned a lot about auto mechanics with that car.

So have it at and have fun. If you can afford the S2K, I can't imagine a better first car for a skilled driver (man or woman) who wants a high performance ride.
Old 12-23-2000, 05:05 AM

For you young guys out there who are buying the stook as their first car, I only have one concern. If/when you get rid of the stook--which will probably happen in most cases--you're going to have a damned hard time finding a car that's more fun to drive! That'd be my concern. Hell, it's my concern now. I've never been in love with a car--until now. I don't know that I'll ever be able to afford a car this lovely again--especially considering the price of the stook! Thank God I have a wonderful wife who is willing to let me have this toy!
Old 12-23-2000, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets see. At twenty-two I was married to my wife Jane. We had sold our VW Camper after surviving a head on collision and were at the beginning of using bicycles instead of cars for four years in urban Santa Barbara and Philadelphia. It was harder in Philadelphia at least in the occasional snow storms.

We were both in school, college for Jane and and graduate school for me. We were neither doing what became our ultimate careers, a writing teacher / writer with a doctorate for Jane and a doctor for me.

We were 7 years away from the birth of our first child who is now 24 and drives a '99 Civic.

At age 22, I wanted a Porsche, a 911 or a 914, or at least a VW Karmn Gia. If I had been able to get a 911 in 1969 or 1970, it would have been used and about $6,000 and today it would be worth about $6,000 plus or minus a little.

At age 22, I didn't want a 911 enough to sacrifice being foot-loose and fancy free, enough to give up medical school, enough to ask my wife to give up her education. We got our first "practical" car while finishing medical school and our first exciting car after we were both established in our careers.

I guess I'm saying, don't give up your dreams FOR YOURSELF to support your dream for a car. The car is nice, but YOU are unique.

We were pursuing our dreams.

If this car IS your dream, at age 22, go for it.
Old 12-23-2000, 09:16 AM

Rahvis: If you were to buy the S2K during the winter, I would suggest keeping your '86 Camry to drive during the sloppy days if you could. There are a few other Chgo area people here who can tell you about driving this car through the snow (not the greatest).
One benefit to buying now, in our area, is that you might be able to find a better purchase price from a dealer who wants to sell one now, instead of waiting until April.
Good luck with your decision!
E.
Old 12-23-2000, 09:39 AM

All good advice.
Confusious Say:
Stook get you through times of no money better then money get you through times of no Stook.

Sorry couldn't refuse.

My advise: Keep the slammer if at all possible and buy the Stook. Remember most of us waited approx. 9 months to get one at MSRP. If you can get one without the wait, your ahead of most. I'm still waiting.

Quick Reply: How soon should I buy??