S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How are you purchasing your used Honda S2000?

Old 07-06-2018, 02:54 PM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

I paid cash. I already had a small 0% loan on my 2016 Rav4 daily. I had the cash sitting around from a previous car sale though. I wouldn't have pulled money out of savings for a toy.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:29 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Cash.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:30 PM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
I paid cash. I already had a small 0% loan on my 2016 Rav4 daily. I had the cash sitting around from a previous car sale though. I wouldn't have pulled money out of savings for a toy.
Umm... holy crap, you just gave me a grand idea!

Toyota/Honda are always having 0% loans as their promotional sales (free money!)

I could sell my Mazdaspeed 3, and use that towards a Honda S2000 instead. I could use a REAL daily. Mazdaspeed 3 is kind of punishing (It's on Mazdaspeed (rebranded KW V3) Coilovers + motor mounts). And I could use the AWD for snowboarding season as well.

Thanks for the idea man!

Old 07-06-2018, 05:50 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

I hafta admit I was confused for a moment there. So your plan is:

- sell Mazda, use proceeds to buy an S
- Buy a new awd dd at favorable new car financing

So instead of trying to figure out how to finance an S, you'll finance a new dd instead. A creative solution, if perhaps a bit fiscally questionable.

But then, what is money for except to fund whats important to you...
Old 07-06-2018, 06:36 PM

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

I financed mine from Honda in 2008. 2005 Berlina Black with 30k miles for $22k. Put $2k down and then bent over for Honda and their loan terms. 25k in total over 5 years for 20k loan... came out to $450 a month for 5 years, but it's all I could get since I was pretty young and no real credit (21 years old)

It's been paid of for 5+ years now and still my daily driver. I'd do it all again if I went back in time. Love my car.

The best feeling was getting my title in the mail after paying it all off.

Last edited by silenc3x; 07-06-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:33 PM

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Not a baller here.

I completely financed my first one through a credit union. It was an 03 in 09 for 15k and was my new dd replacing my broken down turbo Miata dd. Paid it off as quickly as possible while working at Wal-Mart. About 3 years I think.

Totalled it and used the insurance money plus savings as a down payment on a brand new off the lot Juke Nismo RS. Was a fantastic car, but missed the s. Sold the Juke before ever paying it off and used that money plus borrowed 3500 from a friend to buy my current s. Lost a lot of money on the Juke, but at least I can say I've bought a new car before I guess.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I hafta admit I was confused for a moment there. So your plan is:

- sell Mazda, use proceeds to buy an S
- Buy a new awd dd at favorable new car financing

So instead of trying to figure out how to finance an S, you'll finance a new dd instead. A creative solution, if perhaps a bit fiscally questionable.

But then, what is money for except to fund whats important to you...
Haha, I don't blame you for the confusion. Financing a new daily was never in my plan until earlier today, thanks you @IA-SteveB.

My original plan was to keep my 2009 Mazdaspeed 3, even though it's aging, and use it as my daily. But, 0% financing is very attractive.

NOTHING IS SET IN STONE, I just know that an AP2 is in my not-to-distant-future.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by vortamock
Not a baller here.

I completely financed my first one through a credit union. It was an 03 in 09 for 15k and was my new dd replacing my broken down turbo Miata dd. Paid it off as quickly as possible while working at Wal-Mart. About 3 years I think.

Totalled it and used the insurance money plus savings as a down payment on a brand new off the lot Juke Nismo RS. Was a fantastic car, but missed the s. Sold the Juke before ever paying it off and used that money plus borrowed 3500 from a friend to buy my current s. Lost a lot of money on the Juke, but at least I can say I've bought a new car before I guess.
Ooooh ouch man

But... you have a S2000 and I don't, so you win!
Old 07-06-2018, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by silenc3x
I financed mine from Honda in 2008. 2005 Berlina Black with 30k miles for $22k. Put $2k down and then bent over for Honda and their loan terms. 25k in total over 5 years for 20k loan... came out to $450 a month for 5 years, but it's all I could get since I was pretty young and no real credit (21 years old)

It's been paid of for 5+ years now and still my daily driver. I'd do it all again if I went back in time. Love my car.

The best feeling was getting my title in the mail after paying it all off.
Thank you for your input! It's good to see other purchasing options. It sounds like you would do that again if you had to?
Old 07-06-2018, 11:35 PM

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
Thank you for your input! It's good to see other purchasing options. It sounds like you would do that again if you had to?
Yes. I felt comfortable with the monthly payments compared to the amount of money I was making. And it was the car I really wanted.

If you can afford it, and it's the car you want, go for it. If you decide to finance, shop around for the best rates you can find. Not everyone has $20k cash available.

Originally Posted by ssbfgc

But you shouldn’t be financing a depreciating asset. And yes, don’t drain your cash reserves for a car Be patient and maybe you’ll come across a stellar deal.
... Every single car is a depreciating asset. And speaking of depreciation, the S2000 depreciates ridiculously slow compared to most other cars. Keep her in good condition, take care of her, and she'll keep her value surprisingly well.

Last edited by silenc3x; 07-06-2018 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply: How are you purchasing your used Honda S2000?