S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I want another one - already

Old 07-18-2018, 10:34 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

For the past five years I had two motorcycles that were fairly different from one another. I had fun riding each of them and choosing one or the other on any given day. After adding an S2000 to the mix I'm now down to just one motorcycle. Switching between a motorcycle and a sports car makes for a much greater contrast and a wider spectrum of fun.

While it's not all that common, there are plenty of enthusiasts out there that own multiples of the same motorcycle or the same car. So it goes with the S2000 obviously. It's the same way with both of the motorcycles I've owned as well. Now if I "won the lottery" (I can't win when I don't play), then I could see myself adding another S to the mix, but there would be quite a few other cars that I'd be more inclined to buy first. I suppose that if I were going to add another S2000 to the mix I'd probably look for one that was in rougher shape with higher mileage and needed a fair bit of work. It would be cool to restore one that might otherwise not fare so well as I actually like working on these cars. But I'd still look for one that was all original. I have to say that if I ended up with an AP1 then I'd stick with the OEM 16" wheels as long as decent tires are available for them as I really like the way they look. While that's all fun to think about, in reality I already feel like I have an embarrassment of riches with just the one S2000 and just the one bike.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:20 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Good lord, what kind of nut case would own two s2ks?
Old 07-19-2018, 05:26 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by GuthNW
I already feel like I have an embarrassment of riches with just the one S2000 and just the one bike.
Speaking of that, I was driving home last night and passed by a house a few blocks away from mine. The garage was open and what did I see? The tail lights of a 1970's Datsun Z car. The guy was out mowing so I stopped and asked him if it was for sale. He showed it to me and it was in fantastic shape with 94k on the clock and it ended up being a 1978 280Z, silver with black interior. The dash wasn't even cracked which is nothing short of a miracle. He said he had never thought about selling but didn't seem adamant about keeping it. I think he can afford to since there was a Porsche suv sitting next to it. I gave him my number and asked him to call me if he should ever decide he wants something different. I sure hope he thinks he needs something different late fall because I would be happy to take it off of his hands. I have been looking for a 240 but this 280 is very nice.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:15 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
Good lord, what kind of nut case would own two s2ks?
Nut case is right, no need for 2 unless you want an AP1 and an AP2. Or 2 super clean AP1's!
Old 07-19-2018, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
Speaking of that, I was driving home last night and passed by a house a few blocks away from mine. The garage was open and what did I see? The tail lights of a 1970's Datsun Z car. The guy was out mowing so I stopped and asked him if it was for sale. He showed it to me and it was in fantastic shape with 94k on the clock and it ended up being a 1978 280Z, silver with black interior. The dash wasn't even cracked which is nothing short of a miracle. He said he had never thought about selling but didn't seem adamant about keeping it. I think he can afford to since there was a Porsche suv sitting next to it. I gave him my number and asked him to call me if he should ever decide he wants something different. I sure hope he thinks he needs something different late fall because I would be happy to take it off of his hands. I have been looking for a 240 but this 280 is very nice.
Nice! If I were going to add another car to the mix I'd seriously consider an older Z car. An early 240z would be the most desirable for a variety of reasons. But when it comes down to actually living with one of these cars, there is probably a lot to be said for the 280z with it's fuel injection and the possibility of a 5 speed transmission. While I don't find the 280z to be quite as attractive as the 240z, I still think that they are beautiful cars. Unfortunately it was all downhill (in my opinion of course) after the 280z. With the lone exception of the 300zx, the Z cars lost all appeal to me after the 280z.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:16 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

I agree. I am going to be optimistic that this guy will decide he doesn't need it after a year or two. I can wait and that will give me a chance to stockpile some more funds. These cars are getting harder to find every day and I am really looking for one that I don't have to do a lot to bring it up to my spec. I'm not looking to do any body or paint work at all but could tackle interior and engine work at my leisure.

I kind of get the feeling he'd want a lot for it. He spent a long time looking and had this one shipped from Texas to Iowa after his car guy brother inspected it and went over it with a fine tooth comb.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:42 AM

Ultimately, whether you end up with your neighbor's Z or one purchased elsewhere, a S2K and a Datsun Z would make a great pairing!
Old 07-24-2018, 12:54 PM
Community Organizer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

In my mind, there are not enough differences in AP1 and AP2 to have one of each. There are too many other rides out there to have 2 of the same car. Each car has a different driving/riding experience. I'm not sure I'd want to waste storage space on 2 cars that offer the same experience.

Maybe if one was a prepped race car and the other stock... possibly.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:05 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by lane_viper
In my mind, there are not enough differences in AP1 and AP2 to have one of each. There are too many other rides out there to have 2 of the same car. Each car has a different driving/riding experience. I'm not sure I'd want to waste storage space on 2 cars that offer the same experience.

Maybe if one was a prepped race car and the other stock... possibly.
I agree. The only reason I have two is because I came across a gem and I could not let it go. It will be stored until I retire except for some very limited bi-annual exercise. One s2k to drive completely satisfies my s2k cravings.