S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

!!IDEA!!! S2000 international car rental!

Old 12-23-2002, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!IDEA!!! S2000 international car rental!

It just occurred to me while reading Wantone's post in the European forum (he's on vacation in Paris) : we should create a system where S2Ki members can rent their car to visiting members, for a price that would be a fraction of the price of an exotic car rental!!

For example I wouldn't mind renting my car to a visiting American, like $200-$300 for a week or so (I checked on the web : a S2000 for a day in L.A. is $195!!), so that he can enjoy the alpine bends and the autoroutes..

The insurance problem would not be too complicated (at least in France), and the money could help owners to do a few mods or repairs -
Of course you'd have to trust people, but I know friends who've exchanged their flats through websites, and everything went fine.

One problem : availability of the car.
In my case I very seldom use it because I live in London, and I know that lots of owners have 2nd vehicles...so

This would be great, imagine going to visit Spain, Japan, France, California, etc... and doing it at the wheel of (almost) your vehicle!

what do you all think??

Old 12-23-2002, 12:36 PM

Nice idea in theory but I think the insurance situation in other countries would be more of a problem. Here in France I can lend my car to anyone "occasionally" (how they know how often, I don't know) without even needing to inform the insurance company, but if you need to make a claim the excess is tripled. Easy enough. In the UK though I suspect you'll find most people have only got insurance to cover themselves and perhaps a second named driver otherwise the costs go through the roof. Never insured a car anywhere else but I suspect every country has different rules!

Aside from the insurance issue, frankly I don't trust anyone else to drive my baby and nobody has except my dad once and the Honda mechanic once. The fact that it'd be another S2000 owner helps some but not enough I'm afraid, especially considering the type of roads we have round here. If someone else damaged my car I'd be devastated.

Thirdly the police factor, and let's face it, this car is meant to be driven fast. In France they can impound your car if you're going too fast (OK very rare but they CAN do it) or if the borrower decides not to stop and take their chances outrunning the police in their battered old Peugeots... big trouble. Or even worse in the case of an unscrupulous person deciding not to return your car - the insurance company wouldn't pay out as you would have given them the keys.

Lastly what would happen if someone got injured in my car and it was because of some neglect on my part? Aside from the personal turmoil that would cause me, no offence to the Americans but you do seem to love to sue people.

They're all pretty unlikely scenarios but added together you can put me down as a "no way in hell" vote.

If anyone does come to this part of the world and I'm free, I'll happily take them for a drive followed by a beer though!

potfish
Old 12-23-2002, 01:55 PM

Hi, I'd like to burrow an S2000, preferrably heavily modified, to go for a drive in Monterey, CA around the end of January. I will promise to baby the car... btw, race tires would be helpful.
I would prefer a deal where I didn't have to come up with a security deposit...

I have a cute teenage sister that I could "lend" out to be somebody's companion for an evening... You would have to promise to behave, she gets drunk really really easy (oops) easily.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:01 PM

why would you want somebody else driving your S2000

They would have to pay me 32k to drive it
Old 12-23-2002, 04:31 PM

Le Car,
I think this is a great idea, because it would not be my car that I am renting out. When it comes to my vehicles I have painful discovered it is a bad idea to rent to ANYONE.... I let my brother use my motorcycles recently and he TOTALED it!!! It was a very tramatic experience for me. I loved my bike and now I have no bike. Oh well... you live and you learn.

BTW. I think someone mentioned insurance. Yes, it is not looked highly upon to "rent" your vehicle to someone.

Just my 2 cents...