S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: If you had an option between a "regular" last year made 2009 S or a 2008 CR, what would yo
36.99%
2008 CR (with the optional radio and air)
63.01%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

If it were up to you what would *you* get?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Syn
I chose 2009. In reality I'd say any 06+ that you can find in good shape; being 2009 has nothing to do with it. If the ECU can be flashed I'd own it.

Reasons for me personally:

- I don't care for the CR look (saw one in person and confirmed this--disliked the front and the spoiler both)
- No soft top
- Price premium for what I consider to be a lesser overall package

If you are serious about tracking the car you'll probably replace the shocks/springs on either car anyways so that is moot as well. At that point a CR really doesn't have anything else going for it.
There is more than just that going for the CR other than the shocks/springs. Dont want anybody to get the wrong idea over that sentence. It is your opinion, and you are allowed to have one. I can understand where your comin from when you say lesser overall package.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's an interesting debate it seems like. The polls are close but the CR is leading by a little bit.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:47 AM

I forget about the lack of soft top with the CR...If you want a convertible you do not want a hard top...royal PITA to remove and then what happens if it rains?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Syn

Originally Posted by FluKy15
There is more than just that going for the CR other than the shocks/springs. Dont want anybody to get the wrong idea over that sentence. It is your opinion, and you are allowed to have one. I can understand where your comin from when you say lesser overall package.
Thanks. What else does a CR really have going for it though? If you're going to mod the suspension anyways, the only differences you're left with are 255 rear tires, a different stock tire compound, a tighter steering ratio, and that's pretty much it, no? Sure it's got the spare removed for a fix-a-flat kit too...but I'm running out of differences. Perhaps I've missed something.

To me it seems everything a CR has going for it is minor and easily done to a standard AP2. If I liked the look of that bumper/spoiler and didn't mind the lack of soft top I'd see more value in the CR.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Syn
Originally Posted by FluKy15' timestamp='1313514210' post='20883162
Thanks. What else does a CR really have going for it though? If you're going to mod the suspension anyways, the only differences you're left with are 255 rear tires, a different stock tire compound, a tighter steering ratio, and that's pretty much it, no? Sure it's got the spare removed for a fix-a-flat kit too...but I'm running out of differences. Perhaps I've missed something.

To me it seems everything a CR has going for it is minor and easily done to a standard AP2. If I liked the look of that bumper/spoiler and didn't mind the lack of soft top I'd see more value in the CR.
Well you listed the steering ratio. There is no sound deadening in the CR to make it a lighter vehicle. There is the CR brace where the soft top would normally be. The sway bars are thicker. The exhaust is supposed to be more sporty I hear. There is that special, really cool looking tonneu cover where the soft top would normally be. The front lip, and wing, as you mentioned already for more downforce.

All of these things CAN be done to a normal s2000. No doubt about that. Would you want to put the money towards a CR parts swap though, when you could just buy a CR? I dont think all of these things are easily done though, unless you are a mechanic.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I voted for the CR. I have owned both, presently have an 08 CR. The CR is just so much more fun to drive and I like the look of the ABP color. I have not found the lack of a soft top to be a problem. Just search this and other boards to see how many owners have " tear"problems with the soft tops on s2k's.

I have installed a lift hoist in my garage, so it is a one person 5 minute job to install / remove the Hardtop. I still need to watch the weather and always use the Hardtop for any trip.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

There were fewer 2009 CR's made so that could pose a problem, especially if you are looking for a specific color. Either year model is a great car and one can still find low mileage one's available used. As to the differences in the base S versus the CR this link may help dispel some misinformation.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/863...#entry20519388

And yes I'm biased toward the CR, and I own both models.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:29 PM

Think about the year round weather where you live, and where you are going to be parking it. If you have daily showers like we do in Florida, don't plan on taking off the top. And if you live/work/leave the car in a crappy area with the top off, should you expect to have people rooting through it looking for things to steal?

As far as upgrading the non-cr one goes. Well, I can buy a 2000 Ford Mustang v6 and swap every part over to make it a 2000 Cobra R. But I think I'd rather just but the Cobra R in the first place.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:53 AM
xoz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my vote is for the 2009, I want the soft top option, can't all the CR benefits be added?
Old 08-17-2011, 05:03 AM

I'd get the CR. However, as mentioned, if this is your only vehicle, then get the 09. You never know when bad whether may strike so the CR in convertible mode is only good for those days you can be fairly certain that there will be no bad weather. That would be the main deciding factor for me.

Quick Reply: If it were up to you what would *you* get?