S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Importing S2000 from Canada (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/importing-s2000-canada-1187988/)

512S2k 09-05-2018 08:18 PM

Importing S2000 from Canada

Hey all,

just made a deal deal on an immaculate s2000 in Toronto. As I live in Texas obviously I'll be importing to the US. I need any input on importing the car. It was originally a US delivered car. It's my understanding I need to fill out 3 forms. Nhtsa, EPA and a cpb form. Anyone know about insurance while in Canada or requirments for temp plates?

I have two weeks to sort out all the import details any and all information will be helpful and appreciated!

thanks
Casey

Chuck S 09-06-2018 04:01 AM

My USA-issued automobile insurance (USAA) covers me in Canada. Thought they all did. Yours does not? Any car purchased by me is automatically insured, I just have to call them later with the VIN.

You planning to drive her from Toronto to Texas? Google found this. Should provide some clues. Appears having the original US paperwork is paramount for an easy process.

-- Chuck

512S2k 09-06-2018 06:25 PM

Thank you chuck! Yes I'm driving her back from Toronto to Austin over a few days, very excited about the trip. Considering it is a US spec car I'm feeling pretty good about importation. I am a little confused as to if I need to do any paperwork in Canada at their DMV regarding title transfer.

afzan 09-06-2018 06:35 PM

pics!

Chuck S 09-07-2018 05:42 AM

Good luck. Pretty ambitious drive (24 hours, 1650 miles). In my 20's I could do this in one pass but that was loooooooooooooog ago! :)

Several routes all have the same general mileage. You can cross back into the USA at Sarnia or Detroit. Don't know the customs hassles at either point but you have to go thru Detroit anyway.

I can assume the car has good tires (less than 4 years old)? Recent oil change and proper filter?

Keep us informed!

-- Chuck

HawkeyeGeoff 09-07-2018 05:56 AM

So you'll basically have to pay a Canada border tax....i think it's like 5% or something. That's the biggest one....so be prepared for that.

silvio1522 09-07-2018 03:48 PM

I was under the impression that a vehicle imported from US can go back duty free. All you need is the original border patrol paperwork from the US side when it was originally imported. No mention of any duties on the Border Patrol Site. GL either way. Enjoy your car and be safe.

Hfreak 09-07-2018 05:16 PM

Damn, I thought we were trying to increase the number of S2K's up here and not send them south? Good luck with your trip home. :mad:

darcyw 09-07-2018 07:44 PM

Typically, US citizens who have to pay sales tax, can apply to the the Canadian Government to get it back- on a private sale, there may be no sales tax collected- I certainly didn't collect it when I sold my 2003. If you buy from a dealer, they will charge you sales tax. Contact Canadian Border Services or check out their website. You will need a bill of sale from the seller to prove the sales price on which tax is calculated.

I would cross at Sarnia as the roads are better travelling thru here- I live 60 seconds from the bridge entrance- It costs $4 Canadian to cross- you can use your US credit card to pay if you prefer. Our Bluewater bridge is usually less busy- driving thru Detroit means more traffic. Tank up on the US side, however, as our fuel costs are about $4+/gallon. Eating over here is cheaper with that powerful US dollar, however.

Sarnia also has really nice beaches, so you might want to take a swim or check our river side and have a plate of fries before you cross.

darcy

512S2k 09-09-2018 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by darcyw (Post 24508998)
Typically, US citizens who have to pay sales tax, can apply to the the Canadian Government to get it back- on a private sale, there may be no sales tax collected- I certainly didn't collect it when I sold my 2003. If you buy from a dealer, they will charge you sales tax. Contact Canadian Border Services or check out their website. You will need a bill of sale from the seller to prove the sales price on which tax is calculated.

I would cross at Sarnia as the roads are better travelling thru here- I live 60 seconds from the bridge entrance- It costs $4 Canadian to cross- you can use your US credit card to pay if you prefer. Our Bluewater bridge is usually less busy- driving thru Detroit means more traffic. Tank up on the US side, however, as our fuel costs are about $4+/gallon. Eating over here is cheaper with that powerful US dollar, however.

Sarnia also has really nice beaches, so you might want to take a swim or check our river side and have a plate of fries before you cross.

darcy

My plan was to cross in Niagra, is that doable? Any insight is greatly appreciated. My wife and I are making a fun road trip of it over a few days. We are going to hopefully hit deals gap (tail of the dragon) on the way.

thank you all.

I have the original window sticker from the florida dealership showing the port of entry and point of sale in the us. I do not have any previous import paperwork. Carfax shows registration and ownership in Florida but that was a couple owners before the guy I'm buying it from. I'm hoping that is enough to convince the Customs agent that no duty is required.

Darcy - we were going to do a title transfer in a missagua office to get temp plates and show proof of the transaction, is that advisable? I'm hoping as a non CA resident I wouldnt be required to pay gst or pst that could be ridiculously expensive. Please advise :)