S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Jackson Racing Supercharger?!

Old 03-18-2001, 07:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by ST
As we all know, products develop on the basis of supply and demand, and unfortunately I guess there is no demand for it (just rather stupid childish ignorance)....oh well!
Ouch! Is it actually possible to be 'ignorant' about something that doesn't exist?

Prior to Comptech's SC release there was the same forces of demand working on Jackson Racing and Comptech. JR had been talking about an SC at least since I bought my S a year ago. Yet Comptech produced more than just unfulfilled promises and vapourware.

There is less demand for SC's now, as to some degree it has been filled by the Comptech SC. So I doubt we'll get anything from JR except marketing announcements.

I would love for JR to prove me wrong, and will gladly accept your 'I told you so's. Until then I wish JR would stop blowing us and start blowing S2000's.
Old 03-18-2001, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE][B]Speaking of which, this hypothetical BS about whose puts out more power is just outright funny, since no one has a clue about the JR (which was my inquiry in the first place).
Old 03-18-2001, 08:02 PM

Until then I wish JR would stop blowing us and start blowing S2000's.
Would that be a good license plate?

BLWMYS2K

Wesmaster
Old 03-18-2001, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by mingster
Krazik, can you please elaborate a bit on the use of the term Mr. Taber?(I'm not familiar with that term) I know it's off-topic but it's got a personal connection to it for me. Thanks.
Keith Taber, he is the owner (I believe) of both Jackson Racing and AEM. I could be wrong about his exact roll in the org but he is the guy who replies to all e-mails and has most of the say around there.

Basically multiple reliable people that I have met, have told me not to trust what he tells you. Especially when talking about delivery/design dates.
Old 03-18-2001, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live just few minutes from Oscar's original Westminster, CA facility (where they do service, etc.). All of Jackson's distribution, manufacturing, etc. is now handled by Moss motors up in Goleta (near Santa Barbara). Oscar and his R&D staff handle all the prototyping and development work, but they refer all sales and service issues to the folks at Moss, who are quite experienced in such matters.

Anyways, when I bought my S2K I asked Oscar, face to face, if there were any plans to build a kit. He was non-committal and basically said not at this time. Now, I haven't talked to him about it in awhile, but I suspect it isn't a top priority as they just finished up the Ford Focus kit (which they were doing development work on when I bought my S2K - Ford gave him a Focus). Oscar and his crew are the guys that do development and release the kit when ready. Make no mistake about that.

As for the Prelude kit, it was developed a long time ago (they drove the test mule to the 1999 SEMA show and had dyno sheets). The test mule still exists and can be seen at the Westminster facility on occasion. As to why they didn't release it, my info says they weren't happy with the performance. The 5th gen Prelude uses a nonadjustable distributor which means timing retard is a bit tougher to deal with. The mule does run though, and runs strong.

In terms of quality of engineering, that's a hoot. The Jackson kit uses an industry standard Eaton blower, a cast manifold and an off the shelf boost dependent fuel regulator. I have one on my other Honda and it worked just fine in standard format, with the exception of a little tip-in leanness which was cured with a new boost pressure switch (sound like the Comptech MAP problem?) and a worn idler pulley which they replaced for free. The Comptech uses a standard blower, a boost dependent regulator and some lines and tubing. In fact, I'd say the Jackson kits are more complex thanks to the need to cast a manifold. The necessity of mounting the blower to the intake manifold sometimes causes some packaging compromises, but nothing too serious for a street car.

There is nothing particularly complex about either type of kit - and neither, IMO, is suitable for anything except messing around town or drag racing. Without proper remapping of the ECU, the use of bigger injectors, etc. you shouldn't be using a supercharger on a previously NA engine. You sacrifice both power and reliability. When I remapped my ECU I picked up 15 hp, eliminated all detonation issues without excessive timing retard(my car doesn't have a knock sensor) and was able to run the car all day long at Willow Springs in 100+ F weather. I got rid of the super high fuel pressures required by the boost dependent regulator and didn't have to worry about a new fuel pump.

If you were to put a properly designed 6 psi Eaton blower on an S2K, you would fully expect to gain 35-40% hp consistent with every other JR kit out now(which would put you around 280 wheel hp) and 30-35% peak torque (around 180-185 lbs-ft at the wheels). Sounds very similar to Comptech's kit, right? The key difference is that you'd be seeing those torque gains as low as 2000-3000 rpm.

I'm not saying that such a kit would be better than Comptech's (it doesn't exist after all) but it would be nice for the street, what iwth the low end torque and transparency of existence (no idle noise, etc.). However, it isn't easy to add an intercooler to the Eaton type kits and Eatons are less thermally efficient than centrifugal blowers. But don't make the mistake of thinking Comptech has done anything extraordinary from a design or engineering standpoint. What was extraordinary is that they had the balls to come to market so quickly with a kit that works. You have to give them respect for that.

Got a little off topic, but there were some things that had to be cleared up. Hope the original question has been answered.

UL
Old 03-19-2001, 04:31 AM

I am sponsored by Jackson Racing (my crx) and I asked Keith a while back about a kit for the S2K and he said they would begin fitment on the car in spring 2001. I personally would never purchase the kit because they have nothing but problems with the Type R supercharger kit (10.6:1 compression motor) so why would they be able to effectively supercharge a 11.0:1 compression motor. I like the comptech kit do to the fact that it can be intercooled if wanted (maybe comptech is already working on one) and I would not run any boost on a 11.0:1 motor without an intercooler. Just my .02