S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

The Journey of Buying My Last S2000

Old 02-24-2017, 03:26 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
If I could afford three vehicles I would have an s2k for fair weather fun, a TSX or the like for DD and a full size Pick up for heavy snow days, mud season, dump runs, canoe trips etc. Since I can't afford three, I go with the s2k for fair weather only and the Tundra for everything else. I found my s2k last spring in the northeast with 8.5K miles and it quite obviously has never seen snow or salt. I did pay a bit more than I wanted - but honestly not too bad, $21K including factory hard top. I am happy with it and I will do my best to keep it in good shape, no salt, no snow, as little rain as possible. I agree though that it seems like there are very few, if any, low mileage s2ks on the market right now for what I would think are reasonable prices. Maybe the demand is exceeding the supply and the prices are on the rise. We shall see. Part of me wants to buy another low mileage s2k now to put away for my retirement in 6 years or so. I'll probably just keep my eye out for the perfect car and if it doesn't come along I'll stick with my current plan which is to baby the one I have and make it last for the duration.

Right now there is no other sports car that I have any interest in owning except maybe an older english car, but I doubt I'll do that because I like the reliability and the performance of the s2k which even a fully restored english car would never provide. The english cars sure are pretty, but they have nowhere near the reliability or performance of the s2k. If I was retired with time on my hands I might go the english route. But for now, the s2k is perfect.

To the OP - how many miles does your new s2k have on it?
At the risk of going a little off-subject (sorry), you talk about other sports cars...the one that I keep eyeing is the Miata, particularly the new RF. Nice looking car! It may not redline at 9000 rpm, but you can buy one brand new!
Old 02-24-2017, 05:23 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

A friend has a new Miata loaded with all the do dads. It is a very nice car for sure. I prefer my low mileage 02 s2k. For what ever emotional reason I just think the s2k is a cooler car and it does still preform a little better in my opinion. But yes, that is a very good option too. Who knows, maybe someday I'll have a Miata.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats and welcome back! I look forward to viewing videos from this series. Your videos of the E92 M3 were great. I love mine but i can understand its not for everyone.

I lurked on s2ki for over a decade before taking the plunge. I test drove the car a few times and bugged my local dealership all the time when they were still new. Almost bought one in 2009 but crappy dealer wouldn't budge on price and i left. Went through a bunch of cars in the interim and finally drove a Rio in 2014 and fell in love again. After doing some research i decided GPW was the color for me. Found mine in AZ and just like you i made it down there flying one way and staying at crappy hotels and closed the deal. I decided to drive her back home 4th of july weekend 2015 and bonded with her. Did the fluids, plugs, tires, and alignment and it feels great! Added an aux input and im set now. She's not going anywhere.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:27 PM

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with the three vehicle approach, I'd probably also have a truck or tow vehicle so I could do more track days with less phobia. Holy crap you got a good deal on yours with that low of miles. I found a few in the 8k-25k mile range but the prices were pushing 25k+.
The best deal I could find was 62k miles no damage or issues for 18k from a dealer and I think they let it go cheap. I don't know if I would get a second one unless it was like a <10k mile car and store it.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:31 PM

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreygebhart
At the risk of going a little off-subject (sorry), you talk about other sports cars...the one that I keep eyeing is the Miata, particularly the new RF. Nice looking car! It may not redline at 9000 rpm, but you can buy one brand new!
I really like the club and the RF, but cost for what it is, too much. I would consider it used in a few years but not right now.

Originally Posted by importluva
Congrats and welcome back! I look forward to viewing videos from this series. Your videos of the E92 M3 were great. I love mine but i can understand its not for everyone.

I lurked on s2ki for over a decade before taking the plunge. I test drove the car a few times and bugged my local dealership all the time when they were still new. Almost bought one in 2009 but crappy dealer wouldn't budge on price and i left. Went through a bunch of cars in the interim and finally drove a Rio in 2014 and fell in love again. After doing some research i decided GPW was the color for me. Found mine in AZ and just like you i made it down there flying one way and staying at crappy hotels and closed the deal. I decided to drive her back home 4th of july weekend 2015 and bonded with her. Did the fluids, plugs, tires, and alignment and it feels great! Added an aux input and im set now. She's not going anywhere.
I think overtime most of us expected something better or more fun to come out and then over the past 15 years, it seems while there have been cars like the E92 M3, FRS/86, Miata, now the new GT350 but nothing has the soul of the S2000 it's not likely to happen again with the way modern cars are being made.
GPW is a good color looks the most natural on the car, I assume your trip was also one of the highlights of buying the car?
Old 02-24-2017, 09:48 PM

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

When I decided to retire my Triumph TR7 from daily driving duties, I went looking for a replacement. Hondas in Oz are a city beast. Out in the country there are no dealers, so little experience with them. We had had a couple, a Civic & a Prelude many years ago, but I had never even seen an S2000.

I tried a few things, even bought some, a BMW, a Peugeot, an MG & an MX5 [Miata], but moved them on fairly quickly. Then a mate suggested an S2000. One drive & I knew it was what I wanted, but not that one. Having been through a few Triumphs to get what I wanted, ended up building it actually, I wanted to buy just what I wanted & nothing less.

It was nine months later I found what I wanted, 300 miles away. I paid A$30,000 for a 27,000 kilometre, [17000 mile] 2001 car in mint condition. This is not bad in Oz, where new they were an A$70,000 car. Over 5 years later, with now 47,000 [29000 miles] on the odometer I know it was the right decision.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dezoris
I really like the club and the RF, but cost for what it is, too much. I would consider it used in a few years but not right now.

I think overtime most of us expected something better or more fun to come out and then over the past 15 years, it seems while there have been cars like the E92 M3, FRS/86, Miata, now the new GT350 but nothing has the soul of the S2000 it's not likely to happen again with the way modern cars are being made.
GPW is a good color looks the most natural on the car, I assume your trip was also one of the highlights of buying the car?
Yea the trip was totally worth it. Drove through storms, desert, city centers, Route 66, etc. The best part about the experience for me is i'm able to share the experience with my wife. We both enjoy a top down drive in the evening or to dinners sometimes.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lovely video, I also am a fan of the channel. Have a low milage AP2 rio yellow like yours, but now I feel bad modding it because I bought a CR lip, wheels, and Mugen cat back exhaust
Old 05-28-2019, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this thread is old as shit....but I'm bored and stumbled across it.

Gonna have to check out these vids. Pass the time during this deployment. I'm on my third (technically 4th) S. Everyone I've bought I planned on being my forever car, but life has other plans out of my control. First one I had for almost 4 years before I was rear ended and it was totaled out. She's still sitting in my garage to this day waiting on time and money to tube up and track. The second one I had for about a month before it was wrecked buy the mechanic shop doing the state inspection. I then ended up with a clean shell that was just a shell. Had some rear quarter rust. Never had time or money to put it together as I had a big move and life change happen right after.

Yesterday I bought my newest S. An 02 Suzuka. (THANKS DEPLOYMENT!) I'm hoping this one outlasts me, but we'll see. I'm definitely a Honda Fanboy, and specifically an S2000 fanboy. It comes down to loyalty I guess and the fact that Honda's are amazing. The s2000 is by no means a fast car compared to other production cars I can buy today, but it's raw and thrilling to own. Eventually I'll probably add an NSX to my collection. As I work my way up the Honda/Acura chain. I've never owned anything outside of a Honda (besides my truck to tow and abuse like a truck) as the Ridgeline is a glorfied SUV with a bed.

The past 4 years w/o an S something was missing. It's hard to explain, most people don't understand my passion for cars/etc. But life just felt wrong. Going in the garage daily to get my civic out and seeing my S sitting there in pieces was soul crushing. Now I'm impatiently awaiting getting to go home and meet my new one.

I still have cars one and three. Waiting to be a track chassis and backup. Unfortunately number 2 was most likely crushed as I was not able to get back to it and ship it to my new house and the "buddy" keeping it threw a fit about storing it. (Long story, still pisses me off).
Old 05-28-2019, 03:12 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Since you revived this oldie - and reading my posts here - seems I've moved on a bit. I now own the same old Tundra (2013), but I found the S of my personal dreams on craigs list a while back and I could not resist. I am an ap1 fan (02 and 03). This one is an 03 in Silverstone with an oem hardtop. It had 17.5K miles and it is/was absolutely pristine. $22K. The seller was a really nice guy, a 70something dentist, and an enthusiast. Very meticulous, honest as the day is long . We hit it off on e mail and phone. I bought the thing sight unseen. It was located about 3.5 hours from my home. He was the original owner. He stored it for me that winter and after sending him $22k cash I was a little nervous to say the least. But, the car was everything he said it was. When my wife and I arrived at his house it was out on the driveway and gleaming from a fresh detail. Gorgeous. Like a new car.

My plan was to put it on mothballs for about 4 years when I planned to retire. But, I decided to buy a commuter daily type car to avoid running my truck into the ground. I do not want to have to buy another pick up. They have gotten ridiculous. So, I bought a 2019 Mazda AWD. That meant one of the S cars had to go so I sold my 02 with about 40+ K miles. I'm driving the 03 S2k now mostly as a weekend car. I'll get it dialed in as far as the alignment and tires and fluids, and valve adjustment and new sparkplugs over this season. New stereo headunit and amp is in. I just LOVE these S2ks. They are such fun and such pretty cars. The 3 is really nice. I like it a lot for a commuter daily car. Its very comfortable, good sound system and decent handling, I live in snow country so I am looking forward to giving the AWD a work out. The truck has some miles now, but it will get me through to the end of my truck days. I use it to go to the dump, get loads of mulch etc., and most importantly to get me into some wild places with a canoe.

Last edited by rpg51; 05-28-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply: The Journey of Buying My Last S2000