S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

The Journey of Buying My Last S2000

Old 05-29-2019, 01:39 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

First of all, i totally read all of SavageGeese's posts in his voice.

And second, i like this thread, and i like storytime, and i like talking about this car so heres mine lol.

Bought my first S2000 in 2016. It was a 2004 NFR with 114k miles on it. It was a total impulse buy. At the time i had a good paying job and was paying next to nothing in rent. So i made the mistake of thinking i could afford a third car. I also had a 2016 BRZ and a 2016 Fiesta ST. The higher mileage was ok for me since it was a third car and wouldnt be my daily at all. It was primarily going to be my summer car. Top down for road trips and the occasional track day. It came with some issues but i wanted a project car to wrench on anyways. Unfortunetly life took a turn for the expensive and i ended up needing to move to an area that effectively doubled my rent. I then had to decide on selling one of my cars. unfortunately the S2000 had to go. The BRZ was paid off however since i bought that car new, it was my baby and only had 20k miles on it at the time. Also i had spent a lot of money modding that car (super charger, big wing, wheels, all that). And so the S had to go.

Fast forward two years and i'm in another interesting financial situation. At this point i decided that i would sell the BRZ, i could get a decent amount for it to free me of financial burdens and i'd be stuck with my now Focus ST which i had traded my Fiesta ST for (which had actually lowered my monthly payments and cut a year off my total payment plan). I had made the decision to sell my racecar and just daily the Focus ST, which wouldnt be terrible, the Focus is still a performance car in its own right and i was happy enough with it. I then decided to browse the interwebs for a possible replacement. The money i made for selling my BRZ actually gave me some left over and i figured, if i could get a decent trade in for the Ford, then maybe i could deal with daily driving a race car. I looked at many options, Civic Type R, used M2, GTI, WRX...and then i remembered something i would say almost on a daily basis. "i want another S2000). Every single time i was on the road and would see one, those words would come out of my mouth almost immediately.

And so began the search for another S2000. I gave myself a strict criteria. Must be under 60k miles, must be AP2 (later year the better), cant be more than 20k$, must have close to no mechanical issues at time of purchase. AND the dealership MUST give me at least 14k for my Ford. I honestly thought that i wouldnt find anything which i was actually ok with. And then i found it. A 2005 Suzuka Blue, with 58k miles, with an OEM hardtop. Well i decided to talk to the dealership and they wanted 20k for the car exactly. I decided to drive down and check the car out. So far it seemed too good to be true. When i got down there i tested the car and it drove amazingly, smooth engine no weird noises, redline was fantastic and hardtop was in great shape. Talked to them more, and to my surprise they offered me 16k$ for my Ford. Thats 2k over what i wanted. At that point i knew i had to get it. After a few hours of paperwork i was driving home in my new to me S2000. I'm going to keep this car forever. I never want to be in another situation where i'm lusting after this car again. It brings me so much joy, even just driving it to work.
The following users liked this post:
JasonMG (05-29-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 03:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rpg51
Since you revived this oldie - and reading my posts here - seems I've moved on a bit. I now own the same old Tundra (2013), but I found the S of my personal dreams on craigs list a while back and I could not resist. I am an ap1 fan (02 and 03). This one is an 03 in Silverstone with an oem hardtop. It had 17.5K miles and it is/was absolutely pristine. $22K. The seller was a really nice guy, a 70something dentist, and an enthusiast. Very meticulous, honest as the day is long . We hit it off on e mail and phone. I bought the thing sight unseen. It was located about 3.5 hours from my home. He was the original owner. He stored it for me that winter and after sending him $22k cash I was a little nervous to say the least. But, the car was everything he said it was. When my wife and I arrived at his house it was out on the driveway and gleaming from a fresh detail. Gorgeous. Like a new car.

My plan was to put it on mothballs for about 4 years when I planned to retire. But, I decided to buy a commuter daily type car to avoid running my truck into the ground. I do not want to have to buy another pick up. They have gotten ridiculous. So, I bought a 2019 Mazda AWD. That meant one of the S cars had to go so I sold my 02 with about 40+ K miles. I'm driving the 03 S2k now mostly as a weekend car. I'll get it dialed in as far as the alignment and tires and fluids, and valve adjustment and new sparkplugs over this season. New stereo headunit and amp is in. I just LOVE these S2ks. They are such fun and such pretty cars. The 3 is really nice. I like it a lot for a commuter daily car. Its very comfortable, good sound system and decent handling, I live in snow country so I am looking forward to giving the AWD a work out. The truck has some miles now, but it will get me through to the end of my truck days. I use it to go to the dump, get loads of mulch etc., and most importantly to get me into some wild places with a canoe.
@@rpg51 I totally get the truck thing. I see my wife driving my '14 RAM while I'm over here and I'm screaming in my head keep the miles off of it!!!!! You never realize how useful a truck is until you are a homeowner and track day guy with no truck. Then you buy one and wonder how you spent your life w/o.

I haven't let anyone touch this S yet besides my buddy that checked it out for me, drove it to the house and parked it. It will get drove around the block to keep things flowing until I get home then I'll service it.

Originally Posted by xxyion
First of all, i totally read all of SavageGeese's posts in his voice.

And second, i like this thread, and i like storytime, and i like talking about this car so heres mine lol.

Bought my first S2000 in 2016. It was a 2004 NFR with 114k miles on it. It was a total impulse buy. At the time i had a good paying job and was paying next to nothing in rent. So i made the mistake of thinking i could afford a third car. I also had a 2016 BRZ and a 2016 Fiesta ST. The higher mileage was ok for me since it was a third car and wouldnt be my daily at all. It was primarily going to be my summer car. Top down for road trips and the occasional track day. It came with some issues but i wanted a project car to wrench on anyways. Unfortunetly life took a turn for the expensive and i ended up needing to move to an area that effectively doubled my rent. I then had to decide on selling one of my cars. unfortunately the S2000 had to go. The BRZ was paid off however since i bought that car new, it was my baby and only had 20k miles on it at the time. Also i had spent a lot of money modding that car (super charger, big wing, wheels, all that). And so the S had to go.

Fast forward two years and i'm in another interesting financial situation. At this point i decided that i would sell the BRZ, i could get a decent amount for it to free me of financial burdens and i'd be stuck with my now Focus ST which i had traded my Fiesta ST for (which had actually lowered my monthly payments and cut a year off my total payment plan). I had made the decision to sell my racecar and just daily the Focus ST, which wouldnt be terrible, the Focus is still a performance car in its own right and i was happy enough with it. I then decided to browse the interwebs for a possible replacement. The money i made for selling my BRZ actually gave me some left over and i figured, if i could get a decent trade in for the Ford, then maybe i could deal with daily driving a race car. I looked at many options, Civic Type R, used M2, GTI, WRX...and then i remembered something i would say almost on a daily basis. "i want another S2000). Every single time i was on the road and would see one, those words would come out of my mouth almost immediately.

And so began the search for another S2000. I gave myself a strict criteria. Must be under 60k miles, must be AP2 (later year the better), cant be more than 20k$, must have close to no mechanical issues at time of purchase. AND the dealership MUST give me at least 14k for my Ford. I honestly thought that i wouldnt find anything which i was actually ok with. And then i found it. A 2005 Suzuka Blue, with 58k miles, with an OEM hardtop. Well i decided to talk to the dealership and they wanted 20k for the car exactly. I decided to drive down and check the car out. So far it seemed too good to be true. When i got down there i tested the car and it drove amazingly, smooth engine no weird noises, redline was fantastic and hardtop was in great shape. Talked to them more, and to my surprise they offered me 16k$ for my Ford. Thats 2k over what i wanted. At that point i knew i had to get it. After a few hours of paperwork i was driving home in my new to me S2000. I'm going to keep this car forever. I never want to be in another situation where i'm lusting after this car again. It brings me so much joy, even just driving it to work.
You've hit so many nails on the head with this post. I didn't end up sticking to my criteria, which was 02 White w/red. But I think I did good on finding one that wasn't molested, good miles, GREAT shape. And I couldn't pass it up. Before, I was basically finding the best deal, tasteful mods low miles LOW price. I lucked out on the first one a Cop I knew where I worked needed to get rid of the car as him and his wife were trying to get a house and start a family. Fun car had to go. 11k for an 01 Spa in 2012 with 76k on the clock. Only mod was a chin spoiler and intake. In 2013 I bought a hardtop, I also had straight pipes put on it, and basically gutted the interior. I loved that thing like I can't explain.

I was a mess that morning when it got messed up. My buddy left work and came to take me out to get some food and keep me sane. Luckily it was the weekend, for me, and I was able to find a calm. I ended up finding the 2nd one that weekend, and made the deal as soon as insurance figured things out. Another 01 Spa found on here, https://www.s2ki.com/forums/cars-sal...#entry23741927, and felt good about life. Needless to say I hit a serious bought of depression.

The current one is definitely getting wrapped. I just can't do the two tone blue exterior and interior, I also think that black with blue interior would be super sexy. I can't find pictures. I saw pictures of white and blue, and I might honestly like it more than the white with red unicorn.

This current one had 84k on the clock I'm the third owner but it's bone stock and in such great condition. It does have some pinholes in the top, but I have the top from the other spa, and I have a hardtop and mostly am top down if the top isn't on. My first S I removed the top completely so that was a moot point. It was so hard to buy one w/o being there, but I did get to video chat during the drive and what not. I wanted to wait until I came home, but it's tough to know what the market will bring, and this seemed too good to pass up. Being at a dealer and all that. Impulse kind of, but also made a whole disappear so I feel complete. Now it's just a waiting game to be able to see it. And I don't have to see S's and be like "Man I want one."

I remember everyday on my way to work I'd see one and it sucked, and was awesome at the same time. It's already putting a smile on my face and I'm not even in the cockpit.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:32 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I remember reading about the S2000 in a magazine and feeling pretty excited about all that was packed into it at such a down to earth price . And then
when I first saw an S2000 at a Honda Dealership it was love at first sight. I’ve lusted after the car ever since. Since I had another Honda that I would sometimes have serviced at the dealership, I picked up several S2000 brochures over the years to drool over.

I couldn't quite afford one then since it had to be an extra car. So, I dreamed about buying one for many years. And then just last year, the timing was right. After 18 years of lusting after the car, I finally bought one!

I found the listing and called about the car. In talking with the person at the other end, it seemed to be what I was looking for. An 03 with 28k one owner miles and the exact color combo (Silverstone and black interior) I wanted that was still all stock.

So, I worked out the deal over phone and email over several days. It was about 3.5 hours away from my house so I rented a car to drive to it. It felt amazing driving the car back home! Once I got it home, my family was admiring the car about as much as I was and I couldn't believe I finally had it! It’s been year now and have no regrets about the purchase. I plan to keep it pretty much stock and look forward to many years of driving it!
The following users liked this post:
kreitz (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 08:15 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

I hadn't seen this thread earlier on. The experiences of those of you who have bought and sold more than one S2000 over time makes for interesting reading. I can totally relate to buying a S2000 which was pretty exciting but I struggle to imagine going through the process of selling it.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer your videos over all the other clowns on Youtube. Most of them just like to show their face, talk to the camera about irrelevant stuff, and take forever to get to the point.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:21 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by GuthNW
I hadn't seen this thread earlier on. The experiences of those of you who have bought and sold more than one S2000 over time makes for interesting reading. I can totally relate to buying a S2000 which was pretty exciting but I struggle to imagine going through the process of selling it.

It was easily one of the hardest things to do. It was a really hard tossup between my BRZ and the first S, even though the BRZ was 12 years newer and had almost 100k miles less, but theres something about the S2000 that just speaks to me as a driver even more so than the BRZ ever did, however the BRZ is a very close second and a very good successor. I still ended up selling the S since the BRZ was still under warranty, i had put a lot of money into the mods, and it was just newer. However i do believe to this day it was the right decision as my S2000 has half the miles of my old one, is one year newer, and has significantly less mechanical problems.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Irony

Talk about irony. I just logged back on FT86Club the other day to search for your old “S2000 vs. FRS/BRZ” video from like 4 years ago. Hadn’t been on there in a couple years, but I just got my 2nd S2000 and have been coming back here for the past week after a long hiatus from S2KI (was hard to read this forum when you didn’t have an S2K).

I hope the automakers start listening. I know governments have gone full crazy with their regulations but cars have become so ridiculously expensive now something has to give. A new “Supra” is 50K starting price and is mostly a re-skinned BMW. Crazy.

If Honda would drop a successor to the S2000, that wasn’t full of crap I don’t need/want, was NOT a hybrid or electric, I’d be first on the wait list. They could drop the Type R engine in basically the car they already gave us 20 years ago and I’d be happy!