S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Just got my first S2K, Newbie questions

Old 10-17-2003, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been in love with this car for years and finally got one! It's got about 500 miles on it now and I found that while I really liked the car before I owned one, I understand the "obsession" that you guys have for it! I get this massive perminent sh*t eating grin whenever I drive the thing!
Anyways, Ive test driven a few of them and Ive noticed that when I drove one that was used with about 13,000 miles it seemed punchier than a brand new one (actually, I wasnt expecting the VTEC punch so it kinda scared me!). Ive also noticed that while Ive been driving mine, its getting punchier as I put miles on it. I've been kinda going easy on it as I'm trying to break it in but how long do you guys go easy on it before you really let loose. Ive been suckered into cranking her up a few times but I generally try to go easy for now. This is such a different engine from any car Ive ever had, so I guess Im looking for tips from the experts on breaking it in properly. I checked the FAQ but couldnt find anything, maybe I missed it. If this is a dup thread, sorry!

I was going to wait to get an 04 but I changed my mind as there is so much to the older versions that I wanted to experience them. When my lease is up, Ill probably buy a new 07. I hate leasing it as I cant really fool around with it Mod wise but hell, its an awesome car stock! I dont think it would be a great idea to buy out the lease at the end as I think they want too much for the car by then (03 with 40,000K almost $20,000)Hopefully, they will have a supercharge option by 07
Thanks in advance for all the info on this forum, Ive been reading most of it and theres some really good stuff on here.
Cheers!
Pete
Old 10-17-2003, 07:31 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Ask Mr. Garrison.

1. The initial break-in period as described by Honda in the manual and widely respected is not not exceed 5,500 RPM for the first 600mi

2. The car does break in for a good 10,000mi or so. It has been said that the car does get stronger with age.

You have THREE options at the end of the lease:

1. Give it back
2. Buy it out
3. Sell it to someone else.

If you are planning to give it back, then you are correct, you cannot mod the car at all.

If you want to buy it out, then mod the hell out of it (this is my plan.) Remember that you CAN negotiate the residual at the end of the lease period.

If you plan to sell it at the end of your lease (or trade it in on a purchase type deal) then you can mod it then too.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FINALLY someone actually gets my handle! I'm also on a webforum for my company's pilots and most of them think that Mr Hat means that I love to wear my uniform hat! I've explained it like three times and they still dont get it.

I dont know, that supercharger does look quite tasty. But I havent gotten a firm answer as to whether it voids the warranty or not, some say that their local dealer will get it and put it in without killing the warranty, I guess I'd have to ask them. I'd also love to do the CAI as most people seem to think that makes a big difference, its cheap and I'd really like my car to sound like that.....But Im afraid of hydro lock, this is my primary car and when I go away on trips, my car may be sitting in the parking lot at the airport in the rain for a few days....not good. Who knows, I'm still not sure what to do at the lease end, somehow I think I will be too in love with the car to turn her in so I may buy it out but logic states that I should probably get another instead.....Logic isnt ALWAYS the way I make decisions though, thats how I wound up with this mechanical wonder in the first place. I really didnt NEED a new car. So take it one step further, I really dont need a supercharger..... eh, Im screwed

I cheated a little on the 5500 RPM, I hope I didnt hurt it too much. I swear the car talks to me....it says...."Will you come on! You're boring me!"