Key Hole - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Notices
S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Key Hole

Old 10-12-2017, 08:16 AM

Default Key Hole

I just picked up another s2000 but forgot to check the locks before I did the deal. Turns out the driver side lock wouldn't budge at all and the right side is missing the lock altogether.

What are my options at this point?
Old 10-12-2017, 01:05 PM

I'm not exactly sure what you mean... how did you test the car without opening the car door?

Either way, depending on whether it's from a private seller or from a dealer, you could either;

A. Just buy new lock mechanisms (this is what I'd probably do to avoid a bunch of legal trouble for no reason)
B. Depending on whether it's a dealer or private, talk to a lawyer to see your options (this is probably the stupidest one, but it's on the table)
C. Ask for them (or the dealer) to fix it

If they don't pay to fix it, I'd personally just take the $100 or so loss and just buy new lock mechanisms, it'd probably save you a lot than taking the legal route.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:22 PM

If the key starts the car and if the fob locks and unlocks the doors then I would not worry about it.
You can use WD40 or lock de-icer (which also lubricates) to see if you can get the drivers side to un-seize.
FWIW I have never tried the key in any of my doors or trunk. No point.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:46 PM

^^^That's all well and good until the battery dies. (I think it may be the only time I used a key on mine in 15 yrs.)
Levi
Old 10-13-2017, 06:15 AM

The only time I have ever needed a key is when I rolled my MY05 and needed to get into the trunk. The trunk release in the console would not work (battery).
Old 10-13-2017, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by NNY S2k View Post
^^^That's all well and good until the battery dies. (I think it may be the only time I used a key on mine in 15 yrs.)
Levi
How much will it cost to replace the key, ignition and locks all round? How much is it to have AAA pick the lock and give u a jump?

Id try to get the key to work with some lube. Otherwise wouldnt loose sleep over it.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:10 PM

I know a key can run $150 for these cars. Not the key, of course, it's getting programmed. Not sure about a tumbler and key and these are linked to the ECU. Honda dealership may be your only resort.

-- Chuck
Old 10-14-2017, 02:47 AM

Thanks for all the response. I've decided to purchase a new set of door lock cylinders with keys from eBay. I just put one into the passenger door and then take apart the driver side door panel, attempt to un-seize the mechanism, and replace if necessary. As I only open the door from the driver size, it just needs a door cylinder to fill in the empty hole in the passenger side.