S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Killing Road Noise, Results

Old 11-26-2015, 08:41 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Aurex
how are you controlling the moisture that will accumulate in some of the areas that you have filled with insulation? i.e. the drains in the bottom of the door?
I don't have to control it. The insulation (3M Thinsulate) is hydrophobic so it cannot absorb water. It will not mildew or rot. No smells. Any water condensation or immersion will drain as if nothing was there. It is completely different than the OEM green/grey fiber insullation. That can absorb water. In those areas where I encountered it, it was removed and replaced with 3M. The edges were not sealed in any way either via the product itself (slightly reduces effectiveness if done) or with the car itself. I only ran adhesive (spray) along the door panels, between the support tubes, to keep it in place.

The other areas of the car are normally dry (under the seats/trunk) so it should not be an issue. In the event I go to some humid place, once again the hydrophobic qualities win out. I might add that my MDX uses 3M Thinsulate extensively. No fiber insullation at all.

The B Quiet is water impermeable so no issues there either.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:04 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

You really should have used Car Quiet product. It took 7db out of my S2000.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2
You really should have used Car Quiet product. It took 7db out of my S2000.
Its not quite like picking a brand of paint or something. Depends on budget, weight, function, smell, desired effectiveness. There are all kinds of techniques, methods and product to acheive certain goals. I went for the low hanging fruit. 3M Thinsulate is used throughout the industry. Why? It works great. All kinds of thicknesses and scrims. Hydrophobic. Easy to cut and install. Easy to remove. Super light. Fibers are precisely cut at half the sound wave lengths that are to be mitigated. I also got a great deal on it.

B Quiet was selcted for performance (you really only need 1/3 coverage ) but especially the absence of smell. Price was right compared to other products.

One type of product is not going to do it all. The B Quiet and Car Quiet are good at reducing resonance and vibration. Think of that small piece of stuff stuck under a metal sink. What a difference a little makes. You need more on top of that and that is where the Thinsulate comes in. It actually reduces the NVH passing through it.

The deadening in the S especially with the top up was very pronounced. The sound of the stereo greatly improved. To gain additional reduction in NVH would have been an exponential increase in effort to get there. Not worth it.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:22 AM

I pained
- doors
- hood (under insulation)
- trunk (under lining)
- interior (under lining)

The nice thing about the paint is you don't have to worry about moisture later. I think it cost me $150 for enough to do all of that and was done in a weekend.

I'm not sure if you're aware how much 7dbs is but it was a huge difference. Could talk to the wife, listen to music etc. I have no doubts the soft top helped. I actually measured mine with a certified DB meter used for job sites, on the same roads, same speeds and tires. A before and after measure was taken.

Hope that's helpful
Old 11-29-2015, 09:37 AM

That what the forum is all about. I wish I had access to a db meter for an objective comparision.
I can tell you conversations voice level are conducted at what one would use at home. Any drone from the exhaust is virtally non-existent in 6th gear; you hear it when the engine revs. I was going to upgrade the speakers but when I installed a new HU combined with the NVH I don't feel the need anymore.
At the end of a long day drive I (we) do not feel the stress from a noisy cockpit the way we used to.
The following users liked this post:
AHudson777 (03-07-2023)
Old 11-29-2015, 12:10 PM

I stayed with stock speakers after my fix as well
Old 12-04-2015, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very detailed and helpful review. Thank you for your hard work!
Old 12-05-2015, 05:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed, very nice. Is the Thinsulate product available commercially? Can it be bought? Somehow I doubt the guy that sent the product to the OP is gonna send stuff to a bunch of others.

I'm not going to be doing this anytime soon, but I may want to down the road.

cheers,
Old 12-05-2015, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did my passenger side cabin floor today using one layer of B-quiet ultimate and dual layer of closed cell foam underpaid 1/8". Even with just the one side done I noticed improvements with reduced cabin noise especially on the hwy.

Planning to do the driver side, both doors and trunk using the same products. Also got b-quiet hliner for under the hood as well. Hoping to get it done before the snow hits!

Last edited by bluedc4; 09-29-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This member is a saint. I just used his recommendation on thinsulate and it has made my car a joy. I have my own post regarding this topic that I will update soon and link here for those who need a second opinion.

Quick Reply: Killing Road Noise, Results