S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Killing Road Noise, Results

Old 05-19-2016, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mccormick009
This member is a saint. I just used his recommendation on thinsulate and it has made my car a joy. I have my own post regarding this topic that I will update soon and link here for those who need a second opinion.

yes, please do post. I'd like to know where most of the noise is coming from. I've already insulated many areas (floor, trunk) but basically it had little affect.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Doing the doors alone with 3M Thinsulate and B-Quiet Ultimate knocked 3 db measured with a pro meter and noticeably improved stock stereo sound quality. The doors close like a 1980's Mercedes now. THUNK. Still haven't gotten around to the floor and rear tray after more than a year but intend to do so.

Thinsulate is essentially weightless; it's like cotton candy. Works really well at killing ambient white noise. I also added a blanket of it to the inside of the soft top between the frame and top. Folds up with the top and hushes tire noise from passing cars.

I also used some extra scraps of B-Quiet and Thinsulate on my old washing machine which was crazy loud. Cut 75% off the perceived volume when running in my closet. Now we can run it in the middle of the night or during a movie.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:18 PM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by scottsheck
Originally Posted by Mccormick009' timestamp='1457406396' post='23901896
This member is a saint. I just used his recommendation on thinsulate and it has made my car a joy. I have my own post regarding this topic that I will update soon and link here for those who need a second opinion.

yes, please do post. I'd like to know where most of the noise is coming from. I've already insulated many areas (floor, trunk) but basically it had little affect.
Most of the road noise comes from the trans tunnel, doors, floor. The exhaust setup and type of tires has a big impact as well. I have a stock exhaust and PSS which are quieter than the DZIIs they replaced. You won't get a lot of bang for the buck from the trunk, but I did partly to keep the heat factor down with a stuffed trunk. It really helps. Insulating under and over the top tray did a lot. I plastered the trans tunnel and all the trans whine went away. I actually stopped forward of the seats because I did not want to silence the engine too much. It is quite in 5th or 6th but you can still hear it wind up.

NVH is actually a pretty complex issue and manufactures spend a lot of resources addressing it. You need both a damper and frequency killer to get the low hanging fruit.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:06 PM

Great post, thank you. How effective were these changes at suppressing heat coming from the console?
Old 09-30-2018, 09:00 AM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by Beer-bourbon-BBQ
Great post, thank you. How effective were these changes at suppressing heat coming from the console?
Pretty darn good actually. I recall the transmission tunnel getting very warm, even hot, on longer drives. It does not even cross my mind now. I did add a panel of Thinsulate in the one "hollow" panel in the soft roof, the portion with a double layer of material. I notice a big difference in the hot sun of Sacramento on that section compared to the single layer of roof material elsewhere. You can hold your hand up and feel the temp drop under that one panel. Wish I could do that for the entire top.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:36 PM

Thank you, the feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:34 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey cosmos, you’re an inspiration to my sound deadening project. I have acquired thick thinsulate but the problem is I have nothing that can cut it properly including new and sharp pruning scissors. What did you use? So far I have applied the anti vibratory padding similar to your bquiet roll as the precursor to the thinsulate and I have noticed much exhaust vibrations decrease. I only did the 30-50% coverage per “ zone “ as suggested behind bulk head and trunk area. I have not reached cabin yet since I am not ready to get to it without proper cutting of the thicksulate thinsulate. Also I am looking into some mass loaded vinyl type material or foams? what do guys think of adding that before the thinsulate on top of it? Ex) deadening roll on > MLV materials > closed foam material > thinsulate materials?

I’m sure the Mugen rep hardtop is causing a ton of sound reflection, I need to apply all upon the underside of this thing as well.

Thanks

Last edited by EffWun; 03-24-2019 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Has anyone found reliable resellers for these products? The noise on longer drives gets very agitating to me and I find myself hopping in my wifes car more often than I would like instead. I drive most of the time with the OEM hardtop and the resonance and booming around the cabin can almost be worse than top down in a way.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:32 AM

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Sound Deadener Showdown has a package for the S2000. Not exactly the same materials that @cosmomiller used, but similar.

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.co...ster-2004-2009
Old 03-25-2019, 12:21 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by JWN6264
Sound Deadener Showdown has a package for the S2000. Not exactly the same materials that @cosmomiller used, but similar.

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.co...ster-2004-2009
This is off of their web site
"Net Weight Added to Vehicle in lbs.: 79"
79 lbs is a lot of weight to add just for sound suppression. Maybe they ment 7.9 lbs?

Rod

Quick Reply: Killing Road Noise, Results